1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Just had these bad boys turn up:

[​IMG]

Now trying to work out how I can get an actual screen behind them. Envisage using one for power/shield management and the other as radar or maybe comms.

2. adrock

adrock Caninus Nervous Rex

3. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Could you slow it down just a touch next time, as some of the text flew past too fast :)

5. Thedarkrage

Thedarkrage Thats not a pic of me its my gf

I'm hoping that the tablet support will be able to do power/shield management and radar. I always thought they had screens in them especially at the price they are thought they was like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jdK8gdH4eU

Last edited: 26 Feb 2014
  6. Kenny_McCormick

Kenny_McCormick Minimodder

I'm waiting for that companion app for tablets too. No need to buy a secondary screen.

But I have a doubt, Oculus Rift will make those accessories unusable.

7. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Cei can't use Oculus Rift AFAIK because he has squiffy eyes (I heard they cross and then one pops out of its socket!).

But yes, the amazing immersion of the OR will trump any and all second/third/eighth screen shenanigans. The tablet app will be nice for checking the galactic news feed on the bus etc.

Also, poll running for whether they should sell the Mustang now or when its ready for the hangar.

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yeah, something like that. 15-20% of the population can't see stereoscopicly, or are impaired in doing so. I'm also not impressed with Oculus' inability to actually release a product - right now it's vapourware stuck in endless "dev kits".

Tablet support has only been confirmed in the form of an app that allows management of your characters etc. away from the desktop. No mention, yet, of second screen functionality. Regardless, the MFDs are awesome.

9. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

The early 3D stuff used to give me headaches, but I've tried newer 3D and it seems to be ok for me. So I'm hoping my eyes get on with the Rift, otherwise I'd be very sad face.

10. suenstar

suenstar Collector of Things

:( I probably won't be able to use the Occulus Rift either because of my partial sightedness in one eye and my mild colour-blindness (tritanomaly).

11. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I probably won't be able to use the Occulus Rift, mainly because I can't afford it :D

12. Parge

I've been putting my spare change in a jar for a little over a year, and cashing it in every 6 months.

So far I've got £556, by the time I blow it, I reckon I'll have over £1000 for OR, and a new GPU.

13. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

This is compared to the Kickstarter norm which is to release hardware as early as possible even when it is seriously flawed, then to release a better version in six months.

Not just kickstarter though. Look at Samsung and their poxy smart watches.

14. Parge

Yeah, Oculus have a) never given a release date and b) said they have to get it right first time.

Based on what devs under NDA have said, its going to be incredible, and I've got the utmost faith in them.

15. rollo

rollo Modder

As with everything else in tech no one knows for certain how good or bad something will be.

We can hope its good but that's about it.

Personally expected a launch of some discription this year but dou't it will happen. Just wonder if it comes to 2015 we will all still be saying its the next best thing. People have been raving about it since first kickstarter campaign which was back in 2012 for the record.

Too much rumour too little substance as far as I'm concerned.

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

They talk about it in the lastest Wingman Hangar, so it is progressing, just slooooowly. Also there a patch for SC today to give Rift support for the Hangar.

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Exactly this. Since they Kickstarted in 2012 all they have released is a single version of the devkit hardware, nothing else. To do this has taken a year and a half, $2.5m of Kickstarter funds and then another $75m of venture capital. Sorry, but it doesn't take $77.5m to get a product out the door. They seem to be spending the money on new revisions of the devkit, but even then they outright say that the features won't be in a consumer version (Crystal Cove).

I've had plenty of Kickstarter products deliver in that time. I've had my Pebble watch, I've had several games (be that finished products or Beta that is rapidly approaching release).

Nobody is going to complain if the Rift ends up with hardware revisions. In fact, that's inevitable. So just get a product out the damn door already!

For who? The like, 20 people who have a devkit? Woo!

18. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Those 20 people matter dammit!

:p

Its a shame my friend sold his. Its even more of a shame, as he'd get even more money for it now with the shortage happening :p

19. Thedarkrage

Thedarkrage Thats not a pic of me its my gf

And have probably put some serious cash in to the game you dont see me spending 200+ on a prototype

20. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

rift support to SC is kind of like saying, oh yeah your girl friend is pregnant, just a touch of interest here....

[​IMG]

brb, I actually just got my rift back after loaning it out to my team mate and his two delightful children,

Ill check it out and report back in a few minutes if its any good,

be right back