1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Ok so I fired it up, I had to create a config file in the directory

first thoughts about it.
    - When you move / tilt your head left to right, that works a lot.
    - The position of your view is like your character has had his head cut off and your sitting on top of the body.
    - Its CLEARLY in the early stages of dev., and this point is interesting because Chris knows that this is a huge update to start citizen the.. rift support update, and basically there is ZERO polish, items up close look wrong, its not nice.

They have added rift support but they have also added the ability for people to see "just how much work" Chris and team have to do.

Obviously the game is in dev at the moment and this is an early release of rift support but still... its horrible experience, for a team that has been basically given money hand over fist, for the rift support to be that shock ingly bad, or having that many issues means to me.

1- even with the best team in the world and full pot of money, adding rift support is difficult as heck.
    2- cloud need to take the rift community and its necessity more seriously?

3- We are far away from a "dream" star citizen experience.

I mean... if I could ask a question it would be ok I know every thing is in dev but why did you release rift support when if you sit in a ship all the controls are view wrong? and as a follow up, what is the issue that is causing the controls to look like that.

you can be sure they worked on it a lot before this patch to try to get that ok.

As a total separate side, even war thunder has the major menu view issue with rift, and they are also having thousands of loyal users and a money printing factory and you can guess as many dev as required.

Rift support is not easy...... beautiful cinematic vr gaming experiences is way more than 12 months away, more 16, 24, 36 until things really start getting hot but then we will officially be in a new epoch of gaming.

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Very interesting.

It seems a bit of shame. The Elite devs (frontier) seem to have got it bang on from what I've heard. They are a lot further along in the dev process though.

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Id prefer they just focussed on the game itself instead of going around the world adding support 1 in a 100k of its users will actually be able to use come launch.

Rift Support could be added in after launch in a properly and well thought out patch after the product has actually been commercially launched.

4. Parge

I'd say at launch (lets say April 2015), as long as the implementation is good, 20% of SC players will be playing with a Rift.

5. rollo

rollo Modder

You assuming its out by then I guess?

6. Parge

Yeah yeah, assuming that. Absolutely agree though that if its not, then it'll be more like 1%.

I'm thinking its going to be a 1080p panel, and it'll be out by xmas. This is based on no QHD panels really showing up in phones (AMOLED ones anyway), and also, stuff coming out of Valve, with people saying what they have is a 1080p panel, and although a 1440p would be nice, the current setup is still incredible.

Last edited: 28 Feb 2014
  7. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I hope both, SC and rift will be out by Xmas, 1080p is enough I think, but like Parge said 2440p would be nice. I doubt they will be any 2440p panels available by then though.

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Man, you guys need to stop deluding yourselves over Rift. If it launches by Christmas, 20% of SC players won't have one - maybe 5%, or even 10% at a push. We're talking about something that's likely to cost £400+, which is money a lot of people simply won't spend on a monitor let alone a VR headset that will only work with a fraction of games.

Rift will slowly gain users as it increases its software base, no doubt. However it isn't going to change gaming overnight.

EDIT: Awesome. Just read the latest update on RSI and my name is appearing on a plaque in the CIG offices :)

9. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

Goddamit Cei, was just about to post that...

10. Parge

How about we find a way to measure rift engagement?

The last poll asking who would be using a rift on the RSI forums (which are fairly hardcore) had these results:

Total votes were 99

I'm interested 12%
    Yes 82%
    No 6%

I'll pop one up on reddit, that usually has a good mix of people from all walks of life.

11. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Polls are self-selecting though. I'm a prime example - usually don't bother voting if I'm not interested in the topic. Don't get me wrong, people will own Rift, but it's a very expensive box of tricks. When people aren't willing to spend £300 on a monitor that is used for everything, why would they spend £400+ on a limited use box?

12. Parge

I think it’s a question of the price you put on ‘experience’ really. I certainly wouldn’t ever spend say £300 on a joystick because I feel that a £50 joystick offers a only slightly inferior experience for 6x less cash. The OR though, offers something completely new, and is a significant departure from what we have at the moment. Big screens etc are great, but the ability to look around, and feel a real sense of being ‘inside’ the game is something that as a gamer, I’d put a higher price on. Honestly, playing Half Life 2 was just an incredible experience (and it won GOTY 2013 here on BT), and that’s a nearly decade old game with rift support shoehorned in.

13. Tomisama

Tomisama the loyal fanatic

On the SC Bit-Sec Organizations page there is a background with the message and link address:

ENLIST TODAY www.bit-sec.co.uk

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/orgs/BITSEC

Is there going to be a private forum set up, or provided by SC?

I read something somewhere I think :worried:

Personally I would opt for a private forum under Bit-Sec only, access and control.

I think the saying goes "Loose lips sink ships".

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

RSI will be providing private forums for each org at some point, which is what we will be using to keep everything under one roof. Running a domain and forum ourselves is going to cost cash and time, so why not use what is provided?

In regards to the image, I'll get that altered to remove the web link.

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I think you're missing the point that people have dumped huge amount of money into this game, so I expect a lot of them will be after Rift support because its what we all dreamed about as kids. The term 'money be damned' fits well when it comes to these fans. At this rate there will be 404k fans playing alpha/beta, so say 20% are like you and can't use it, thats 323200 who can't use it, and say only 20% of those decide to get one Thats still around 65k people who want Rift support. Given I'm just pulling numbers out of the air, but I'd think 20% is a decent minimum figure.

Also, I hope its only a 1080p panel, as then we have a better chance at higher frames :p

16. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Whilst I see what you're saying, I don't think "money be damned" works like that for a lot of people. Check the RSI forums - people are wary spending £150 on a controller (eg: X55), with those of us with the Warthog at £300+ being very much in the minority. Why, if they're being thrifty when it comes to the very method with which you interact with a game, are they going to be different with a £400+ display?

There's obviously going to be those who want a Rift and don't care about the cost. They'll be the ones who have an Idris in the hangar, and another £500 of accessories on the desk.

Also, don't get me wrong, SC needs to support Rift, as it's an upcoming technology that could well have an impact on gaming in general in the long run. However, I'm not expecting mass adoption the minute it comes out. I still want to know if I can use one just as a display, with the head tracking etc, without the 3D element.

17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I expect you can disable the off sift between the eyes so its more of a flat image.

18. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I think you're an order of magnitude out with that estimate, personally.

19. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Its been said and its obvious but it is worth saying once again.

Oculas Rift is breath taking, it is a mental transportation device, it has made me for the first time in my life felt not digitally homeless, it has bridged the gap, I can interact with environments or be it with low res at the moment in the perspective and view that is day 1 of all of us, our path towards what red dwarf called total emersion video gaming.

I made a point of demoing the unit to 40+ of my colleagues, I have seen the impact oculus rift has to people, when they take it off they are alive... they are astounded and touched, their heads and glance is vibrating.

Boring bland people, young, old, all approve but only have questions.

Rift is some thing I would like every body to try on, so that more people can talk about it, its not just our future of this generation its the future of our children, they will be donning equipment and interacting with computers how we should have been if certain company's had got their act together.

just take a step back for a min and think about what has had to happen for us finally to have some device which is heading in the right direction.

Some dude has gone into his garage (not Sony with billion dollar budgets) and from personal love of the subject matter brought about the industry that already should have been in place a decade before.

Looking at a flat screen for high grade computer interaction is finished now, its over, in short order liquid "flow" experiences will be had by donning a "inconvenient bulky" device but for the viewer... for the viewer, we are true baby.

This is the silence before the storm.

If you like looking at your 1x30" screen, or your 3x 24" or large screen.

Good,

because those days are over,. there is a whole "something" new going on, when it lands and starts, nothing is stopping it. Of course there will be console support... because every console in the world is an ideal platform for a gen 1, gen 2, gen 3 vr experience

A PlayStation will truly become just that but for real.

The whole world is going to change over night when people "step through" / tune in and interact with the worlds brightest dev community

A moment that works in rift is astounding, the most recent moment I had was in war thunder,

I was in a spitfire with an opponent down and below me, he snaked to my right then whipping left to follow a course below me and parallel going forward but rising rapidly.

An easy kill right?, slow down drop in behind him,

I look edover my right shoulder toward him now, he gains a bit of height and is a bit behind me and to the right, but is racing forward, now he then starts to engage a plane which was out of sight but ahead, then omfg

the airplane and its target collide, one of the wings of my target gets totally sheared off, and its engine turns into ball of fire.

I might as well have been there because of the impact it had on me, I was in shock for a few seconds, I could not believe what I had just seen, it was scary, and I had to then make my way after seeing that shocking event and almost I could smell the fumes, all of the hardware and technology was not in front of me only the event and the vapour of the moment, it was real.

Chris is a ww2 combat fan and I understand what he is aiming for, if he pulls it off with star citizen and oculas rift then the truth is that we are not man enough to deal with it... its going to take every thing you have to deal with his universe.

Star Citizen is going to become more than your small pocket of "cool video game I like to fire up once in while", its going to become a emotional aspect of your life experience.

things are definably going to change with rift hd commercial, their will billions and billions and billions of dollars behind it with in 5 years, think the opposite of block buster.

20. Cei

Cei pew pew pew