1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I, personally, don't mind waiting. I know its coming, and would prefer it to be unhurried. Otherwise we the people turn into the publishers we despise so much.

And I think the level of openness is at a good level, I don't want to see everything prior to playing the game as it spoils the thrill a bit. I don't think that they should put up the new voted in ship for sale for real money, as too many people will just jump on it. I know I've bought ships, but when you have the ship you want your goals in game become more limited with a shorter ending. But thats just probably me.

I do like that they're limiting the numbers of NPC crews you can have manning a ship though, I hope the Idris falls outside the one man ship though, otherwise large corps would be able to field dozens of them.

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Tough crowd! There isn't a single game in development, or any game ever developed that has released more info to the community! THREE weekly video shows, almost daily updates? Most of my kickstarters send out one update a month!

I mean, today I've seen

The SQ42 studio report

The Cutlass update
    http://imgur.com/a/kflvm#XmBEgim

And ten for the chairman

I mean, christ, if thats not enough then people need to take a break, go on holiday or something!

Also, I don't even care how long it takes (within reason obvs), as long as they get it right. It takes time to create the most ambitious game ever made! Don't forget thats the whole reason you are so excited for it.

Last edited: 4 Mar 2014
  3. Thedarkrage

Thedarkrage Thats not a pic of me its my gf

To be fair I feel that when there is something to play be it buggy or not the demands for constant updates will ease up a little. But at the moment I cant get enough I just want more also on a side note as my desk is a little short on space. So I been thinking of getting a omega gt wheel stand I can use it for my g27 and my flight stick when I get it any one. Has got one or had one would it be a good fit for a stick?

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

You have to admit that this isn't a normal KS game though - there's basically $40m riding on it right now, whereas the next biggest game is like $2m with most falling well below that. It inevitably leads to higher expectations of development diaries etc. the fact that they have a full time member of staff for this content.

5. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Horses for courses, I thought the focus had been on lore and fiction pieces. In any event I've not had time to follow anything but the headline points.

/where is that ED thread.

6. Parge

Oh yeah, absolutely, its not just a question of writing content and posting it like a blog, topics have to be decided, facts checked, article written, artwork decided upon, run by CR to check they aren't revealing anything they shouldn't, etc etc. Its easy to see how more than one news item a day is hard to get out - and that doesn't even include all the other stuff they are responsible for.

I just think the community wants a constant stream of content, which isn't really realistic. Did you see the post CR did on the forums about this topic lately?

Not 24 hours since my last post and we've already had

Galactic Guide: Tiber

and

News update

Another two articles!

7. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

But the Tiber guide is from Jump Point, which is paid for by subs. In fact, all sub money is supposed to be spent on behind the scenes content, which is a fair amount of cash by itself. They're releasing content, sure, but new stuff rather than endless rehashes is thin on the ground.

8. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

I dunno, but i'd be surprised if the 'lack of news/updates' isnt simply a lack of there being something to update us on.
    These things all take a lot of time and thought, and it'll be lots of tiny little things they'll be covering. On their own they're not worth announcing, as its meaningless, but when theres something meaningful and in a state they feel confident in making an official statement on, they do so. I'd rather get an article once a week on 1 aspect of progress which has taken say 1 month to get to, than being told snippets of uncertain info which means very little, just to post something each day. At least this way, with the different depts theres something new each week.
    The fact that some bits come from the JP mag doesnt mean they havent done it, so i dont see why it isnt valid new content, where they publish it first is irrelevant, its updates they're releasing, and some gets made public afterwards. They're not simply rehashing say 'Death of a spaceman' a month on like its new.

Very few games go to these lengths to show you whats happening, and talk as openly as possible about direction and their thoughts.
    The only game ive seen with this level of openness is Project CARS, where the modellers post screenshots of half built cars, bits of trackside models etc. They dont do articles or videos, but you do get a lot of real up to date progress. Sometimes things 'appear' in a finished state, but the majority is very WIP, the Nordschleife was added into the game when it was no more than a grey 'ribbon' of track, run off and barrier, no textures, curbs, just a ribbon in the sky.

I'd love more updates, i've been following this closely for only 3wks, i've seen WH ep40-current, and running through 20-39 (ep 28 is paused while i write this), all the 10FTC eps and TNGS, GDC2012, 2013 and CitizenCon videos, and a handful of fanmade stuff incl a few 1hr+ ones.
    I've also finished Firefly/Serenity, and started the Battlestar Galactica mini-series a few hrs ago.
    The majority of the above i did in about 10 days of finding out i could crew, rather than need to fly as i'd never played a space sim, and had no interest in flight sims.
    3wks ago the only thing space related ive ever cared for is Red Dwarf! Now im addicted to this stuff, spent £230 on 2 ships (Aurora LN & Starfarer) and want a X55. I havent been this excited about a game in years, the scale and attention to detail is mind blowing, and you can genuinely tell they're passionate about what they're doing, and being free to make the game properly, not bullied to meet a deadline.

I cant wait for it to arrive, but i'd rather wait months for a DFM in a state thats useful to them, and saves time doing something they know wont be any use to the final game.
    Im also glad to see a developer building content which goes way beyond the capabilities of current hardware. I want them building a game with the content to keep things looking great in years to come, not aiming for mid-range systems. Take the damage preview on WH last night, they have a handful of stages, but might have to reduce it - thats perfect, cos maybe its too much for now, but if you have that available it can always be added in years from now. I'd rather have another Crysis i cant play on max settings for 18 months, it'll stand the test of time better.

9. Tomisama

Tomisama the loyal fanatic

A standard joke but relatively true saying in product development engineering is that; “the first 90% of the job takes 90% of the time and money, and the last 10% of the job takes 90% of the time and money.” This x180% rough calculation rule-of-thumb can often be surprisingly accurate, and applied in advance to cover normal human project resource-requirement-underestimating, can make you look smarter that you really are ;)

I am somewhat sad to report that I have sold my X-55 RHINO pre-release and returned the Combat Pedals as well. In the final annalists they were both top of the line in every way, with performance equaling appearance, but unless you are intent on building your own full cockpit simulator, the overhead of space required for proper operation can be crippling to your computer workspace.

Beyond that I found Saitek to be somewhat disingenuous, with switches and knobs you don’t need, LEDs in the Joy Stick you cannot see, and patterns that I thought should be, not lit. The setup software was the best, but a flight program that accompanied the Pedals, was just junk. Their website support was nonexistent or very poor when found. This was just not for me (an admitted novice). I will stick with my Logitech Extreme 3D PRO and Gamepad F310 for the time being.

Sorry to disappoint any that I may have encouraged with my initial excitement.

Last edited: 6 Mar 2014
  10. Parge

Well good to hear feedback! With my 360 controller, headset, keyboard, mouse and soon Oculus Rift, I'm going to have trouble fitting a single joystick, let alone a HOTAS setup.

11. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Yeh, thats the issue I'm facing! But, as the saying goes, where there's a will there's a way!

12. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Between my 60% keybard, huge mousepad and the ability to put a beer on the desk too, I have no space left :(

But that doesn't matter, as a little confession I won't be able to fly even half decently on account of losing my spacial awareness with any movement in flight sims. So that's why I'm not getting a stick.

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

A Rift will help with that!

14. Tomisama

Tomisama the loyal fanatic

Well yes there is a way! But desktop or even pull-out keyboard tray is not it. The size and proper operation of the hand controls and visibility of the many switches requires eyes and arms to be well over both. Otherwise your arms will go numb as they are always engaged, and you will not be able to see what you are doing when the going gets tough.

I tried many possibilities over and over, not wanting to give up. The best I found for the Saitek hand controls was to place the Throttle and Joy Stick on respective left and right side risers at seat level. This level was now also lower than usual, so my knees would not hit the extended keyboard tray as I used the Pedals which were bolted (long screws) to the floor underneath. And yes you will still very much need easy access to your keyboard and mouse for all of the usual reasons.

Which reminds me; you will eventually need to bolt everything down with the holes provided. These are full size precision style instruments. If you are using the Combat Pedals, you will probably come around to having your chair permanently secured also.

And the above was not to scare anybody off. You just need to be aware of the possible extents you may have to go to. Good Luck :thumb:

15. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

http://www.obutto.eu/store/

50/50 here if I am getting one,

combat peddles are totally stupid, they move on the floor the Velcro is a complete waste of time, like it lasts one minute then moves and slides.

16. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

That cockpit setup does look quite cool, although the setup I'd expect most people would want would be a oZone + HOTAS mounts + K/B/mouse tray, which inc shipping is 605 euros or £500, which is a bit steep really.

Edit: just realised it comes with the K/B mouse tray, but that still only saving 89 euros...

17. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Im saying this as a complete flight noob, but can the flight pedals not be inverted, this is what ive done with my racing pedals, meaning they're actually wall mounted but feel pretty much the same. It has the same effect of floor mounting them i suppose, except its a little less permanent, its easy to just plaster up a wall. I dunno quite how the pedals move though, so could be completely useless and moronic to suggest :D

Im actually quite tempted by the X-55, having figured maybe a X-52 is a worthwhile investment, and the X-52 Pro is probably worth the extra for the upgrade, and im somehow now decided on the X-55. :wallbash:
    Im not too bad for surface space, but im not entirely sure how i'd fit [Throttle] [Keyboard] [Mouse] [Stick] while still being comfortable to use.
    My chairs arm rests are about 3" below the desk, throw in the HOTAS base and thats about 6" higher than i'd assume is ergonomically correct from the seat, plus they'll be \o/ rather than |o| which i'd think would be more comfortable.
    A smaller keyboard (original G15 atm) would work but it just adds more costs, and finding a kb i like (i do like the LCD) is harder and probably not cheap.

I also really want a Rift, because i think SC + Rift + HOTAS would be amazing, but the need for a KB+M is going to lead to a lot of blind fumbling, cos i cant see anything but Rift pixels. Im now leaning more towards no Rift, cos whatever the controller solution is, its either going to require fumbling between HOTAS and KB+M or its be a joypad... and I feel it'd be an insult to play SC on a pad, not to mention lacking the accuracy, you'd surely be at a disadvantage for something like boarding, and thats not a situation where you want to be disadvantaged!

18. asura

asura jack of all trades

[​IMG]

19. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

My plan is a Rift with a HOTAS for flight ect, a pad for just general movement, such as moving round a ship and k/b mouse for proper FPS stuff, which I expect will be much less. The transition from flight to FPS will be long enough for you to lift up your rift and settle your K/b mouse before engaging I expect, plus I use a K70, so its easy to find the WSAD keys as they're textured and angled. The other option is one of those Belkin/Razor K/B pads to replace the keyboard.

20. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

As I've already said in this thread re: pedals, a bit of wood behind the pedals, bracing them against the wall works wonders. No slide, nothing, and this is on laminate.