1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Any 'vapers' out there?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sentinel-R1, 13 May 2013.

1. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

I really like my new toy. For a cheap hybrid, get Chi You and AIOS T/D from FT. Build quality is quite nice but mine has battery tubes that are really hard to line up properly. Looking into getting magnets for the switch in near future.

[​IMG]

AIOS T/D is not for those with bad heart. Wick hole is a midgety ~1,5mm so plain mesh is not an option, dries out in about three seconds and is very, very leak prone. Someone on ECF gave me a hint:

[​IMG]

1,5mm thick mesh wick surrounded with silica as seal/reservoir and couple wraps of 0,32mm kanthal. That setup works just right and is quite leak-proof, bottom of chamber has only a drop or two of liquid.

2. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

A sad day for vapers in the EU, as the EU-parliament has passed the new rules for tobacco-products, which now includes heavy regulations for eCigarettes.

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-14-134_en.htm

Rules include things like the maximum of 20mg nicotine, a maximum size of 10ml per bottle, it's forbidden to make positive reviews for eCigarettes (freedom of speech gets hit!), a maximum size of 2ml tanks for refillable units, all related products have to be certified before they can be sold in the EU.

In the light of these new rules I've ordered 5 liters of 36mg base-liquid, a mechanical battery-mod and a dripper.

**** the EU.

3. Andersen

I'm stocking up on 100mg/ml base. Current stock at home converted to that strength is about three litres, not enough so hamster time.

4. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

I'm vaping currently with 12mg/ml, but I plan on reducing to 9. So I've got some 15-20 liters of liquid. By Vaping some 5-10ml per day this should last me some 4-5 years.

5. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

Hi mate,

How you getting on with the expromizer????

I got one delivered the other day and finally got round to cleaning and coiling it today and to be honest I'm ready to chuck it in the bin.....

Started of with a leak on the bottom seal so had to double up on the clear o-ring. Then it floods constantly using the small and second smallest air intake. Used more cotton wool then silica then cotton yarn. In the end used the third air intake. Now it gurgles all the time and the collection chamber seems to have more liquid in it than the reservoir!!!!

Tried lifting the coil, more wick, different wick, watched four different reviews/tutorials, VG heavy juices, PG juices and always the same!!!!

So what's the trick to a successful build assuming you still have your one or is mine just a lemon???

Time to go back to the kayfun for now...

6. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The first thing I did was to throw out the very thin clear O-Rings in the top and the bottom of the tank and installed some thicker black ones. The thin clear one is just fine for the middle-section tho.

Next thing I did was to install a microcoil as shown in the pictures. I use rather little cotton with this exact same coil for the last two weeks now and it never flooded a single time so far. And I'm using the widest airhole, as I do open draws.

Don't know what could be wrong with your eXpro there, as it seems that you've tried it all allready.

Maybe it's the frequency you vape on it. I do some two or three draws and then wait a little before I do the next draws to allow the cotton to wick again, as the cotton will burn otherwise. I do this with all my atties to minimize burned taste.

For me its actually the other way around, I had lot's of troubles with the Kayfun and I'm glad to have found such a good replacement with the eXpromizer.

7. Chr!s

Chr!s What's a Dremel?

Hello Vapers!

I'm after a bit of advice please.

My bro-in-law as just hit 40 and is having a some what late realisation that smoking may not be that good for him after all. I've decided to take it upon myself to help him quit the bloody cigs and spoke to him re: vaping and he seemed interested.

so advice, where to start vaping? He's previously tried the e-cigs but says they're s***, so I'm thinking he would be good to try a stronger nicotine liquid with a tobacco flavour?

Could anyone recommend an ideal starting kit and a suitable liquid?

8. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Hey Chr!s.

It would be good to know why he says that e-cigs are s***. Is it the taste, the vapour, is he missing the flash, or the throathit?

Let me go straight ahead and say, that there's no liquids available that taste like a real cig. I've searched for that myself without any luck. For all the other things there's solutions tho.

The starter-kits, probably something he's tried before are really not delivering alot of vape, flavour or anything you'd expect from a normal cig. For that you need bigger devices with customization-options, like the option to regulate power, airflow, etc.

Anyways, my advise would be to tell him to register on a forum for vapers, where he can talk to people who had the same troubles with e-cigs in the beginning.

9. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

Thanks for the reply jrs77. Looks like it's just not gonna work for me... Just spent another 3 hours of my life on this thing and it's enough. I give up on it....

Don't suppose you want to swap for a kayfun????

10. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

If he tried a cigalike (one of the cigarette sized ones from a shop) he may not have got the right one.

You need to see what strength cigs he smokes and how many he smokes to make a judgement on what strength e-cig to use. In my case I smoked about 30 B&H silver a day so I started with 18mg/l(1.8%) nicotine e-cig strength to get used to it and then cut back as I carried on vaping.

I'd agree that finding a cigarette flavour is almost impossible but you can get some cigar flavour e-cigs that are tolerable.

As for a starter kit I'd pick up a ego type arrangement with a EVOD atomiser for about £20-25 and a couple of bottles of nice juice and go from there. Not too much on the outlay and a good enough experience to find out if it will work.

11. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Wouldn't trade the Kayfun, as it's only a clone from EHpro and the airhole whistles. The whistling is the reason I don't use it actually.

12. Apocalypso

Apocalypso Fully armed and operational.

Grants is on sale at Pink-Mule if anyone is interested. I've just placed an order for 50ml of 12mg for £25, a little pricey I know but I do love custard.

Last edited: 4 Mar 2014
  13. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Nice shop, unfortunately I can't order from it, as they don't offer banktransfer as an option. And their shipping-costs are ridiculous to have something delivered to Finland aswell :p

14. Andersen

Knock-off nemesis + AW 18350 + Igo-W + chopped driptip = pure win. Despite its size, that midget can create some serious clouds.

[​IMG]

Its seriously tiny, only about 2mm longer than plain nemmy in 18650 length and that includes the driptip.

15. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Started using the Igo-W about a week ago, and I really ask myself why I spent so much money on any other atties :facepalm:

Dual MicroCoil @ 0.6 Ohm. Don't need anything else anymore really, but I still ordered a DRA XL V2 as it's 22mm :p

16. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Been reading this thread for a while now and finally ventured into one of the local vape shops for a chat. Picked up a Kangertech EVOD starter kit based on recommendations in this thread as well as the guys in the shop and it's pretty good. Decent price too and I got to try out loads of liquids until I found a couple I wanted to take home.

17. Andersen

Got a clone-Patriot coming whenever the horse carriage rented by FT arrives in helsinki. Didnt need it but wanted a flush fitting dripper.

18. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Welcome to the world of vaping ;)

Moro Ikaalisista :)

Yeah, flush sitting is something what I'm looking for aswell, but with my upcoming new DNA30 BoxMod that's out of the picture :p

I'll get myself a mechanical 18350-mod for stealthy vaping however, just like you've got there with your Nemesis in 18350-mode. I'll probably add a 15W kick tho.

Oh, and I got me some new flavours from Flavour West... Blu-bacco, Cherry balsam Tobacco and Rum Tobacco. They're really nice, especially the Blu-bacco.

19. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

If I could bend the ear of you knowledgeable gentlemen for some advice..? :)

I'm gonna give this another go but I'm going through equipment pains at the moment.

Had a DSE901 kit with cartridges a few years ago which I was less than impressed with, didn't put out enough smoke for my liking.

I've recently inherited one of these which would appear to be a CE4 clearomizer and an imist 1100mAh battery, though it may be a knock off.

Got a dekang tobacco flavoured liquid which is PG80% VG20% 18mg

My questions --

1. When taking a decent toke, the smoke scratches the back of my throat like hell -- nasty. I can smoke lambert and butler fags like a demon all day (Usually around 20) so I didn't expect this to bother me. I've ordered a few alternative Liqua liquids to try (American blend, cola and berry mix) is this likely to be down to the liquid mix, or the clearomizer? I've read that liquids with a high proportion of PG can be harsh on the throat, but the nicotine content could also be a factor though 18mg seems to be generally recommended for a 20 a day smoker.

2. Even though the smoke is bothering me, again, this thing doesn't seem to produce a vast amount of smoke, though it is vastly superior to the DSE901. Is the EVOD kit superior in comparison or do I need something chunkier?

20. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

The EVOD kit is probably the best starter-kit available currently, but finding the right liquid might be a real hassle.
    Also, don't think about cigarettes when turning to vaping when it's about the taste. You can vape cherry cola mix, vanilla custard or whatever. The nicotine is what it's about primarily for most and the nicotine can be delivered with an EVOD perfectly fine.

For the liquids in general PG = flavour and throathit, VG = smoke. This is basically a tradeoff. The more smoke you want, the less flavour and vice versa.

Also Liquids can be very different in taste and throathit, based on the flavours they're made with. The Liqua American Blend I can tell you won't have that harsh throathit, but it might taste a little flat.

Additionally. If you want big clouds of smoke, than you shouldn't think about those small eCigs alltogether, as none of them will give you lot's of smoke. They're simply not designed for it. For big clouds you want a rebuildable dripper with low resistances and a mechanical battery-mod. Also, the amount of smoke has nothing to do with the flavour, the throathit or the flash.

Last but not least throathit... the scratchy feeling in your throat. This has alot to do with the amount of air, the size of the vaporizing-chamber, the resistance of the atomizer and the wattage/voltage-output of your battery. These things can be finetuned in many different ways, and it can drive you just as mad as finding the right liquid.

Personally, I've smooked for over 20 years a pack of B&H a day and I've stopped smoking and started vaping around last christmas. Since then I've spend some €4-500 on equipment and I've still not found the perfect pieces yet, allthough I'm quiet happy with some and I've not smoked a single cigarette since I got my first eCig.
    I've chased down the liquid I like for the last four month and now I'm vaping selfmade 75% PG / 25% VG with 12mg and a Tobacco Bluberry flavour, as it's the first one to satisfy my taste.

So my advice would be... don't give up too fast, just because the eCig doesn't taste or feel like a normal cigarette. You'll never find this anyways, as vaping doesn't work this way.
    Get yourself an EVOD, and then grab an array of 10ml-bottles of different liquids from different manufacturers to try. Yes this will set you back some €100, but it's the only way to get somewhere, if you really want to switch to vaping. Then, if you've found a somewhat decent liquid, you want to consider a bigger atomizer (preferably a rebuildable one) and an adjustable battery-mod to vary the several parameters.

I hope that helps somewhat.

Last edited: 14 Mar 2014
    digitaldunc likes this.