1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Loramentum - Fan Upgrade! - Update 27th January 2017

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Maki role, 15 Jan 2014.

1. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Funnily enough, I'm definitely shifting towards making the flight case fully functional as a "laptop-esque" enclosure. If I were to do that, then I would definitely look at adding in a proper screen, connections and also some method for ventilation.

2. XTSX

XTSX What's a Dremel?

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:
    God Rendering dude.
    I'm jalous :blush:

GOOOD job !

3. Maki role

Thanks man! Loving the renders in your project log too, some really detailed models going on there :)

4. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Love the travel case and being able to use as a laptop really makes this over the top. :thumb:

5. rakesh_sharma23

rakesh_sharma23 Minimodder

Super cool project.

What do you all think if top cover of this case have three slim LCD screens ? One in center and two on side,, which can be both folded inside when top panel is closed.

Just an idea.

6. Maki role

Haha thanks, we all need a little bit of OTT in our lives, luckily this bit isn't too impractical either

That's a really interesting idea, I'll have to see if I have enough funds to be able to carry out something like that, would certainly make for an exciting challenge.

Small preview:

After much discussion and finalisation, the milled framework has arrived at my doorstep! I'd like to lend a massive thank you to Phame who agreed to do the milling and some of the finishing. Not only did he do a great job (the fit and accuracy is fantastic, better than I would have hoped for) but his pricing was also very competitive.

I know that there are a lot of people out there who aren't so keen on having work outsourced, but sadly I do not have the space to put even the smallest of CNC machines (if I could even afford a DIY one that is). It's great that we have a community full of very talented people who do have access to this kind of incredible machinery and as such can make so many designs become a reality. I mod out of my bedroom, without even a workbench, so to be able to experiment with this kind of thing without blowing up my bank account shows just how accessible things have become.

If you still don't like the concept, why not give it a try? You never know, there may be something you've always wanted to do but never thought you could.

Since I'll be taking some proper photos tomorrow when the light's better, I thought I'd leave you with a little taster:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Sorry for the crappy quality, used my phone and I'm pretty sure the lens has some kind of oil on it that I forgot about)

7. Sn00k3r

Sn00k3r What's a Dremel?

reminds me of:

[​IMG]

subscribed :cooldude:

Last edited: 13 Feb 2014
  8. Hukkel

Hukkel James' minion

Seems like a great start to me!

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Woah! It only just sunk in just how big that case is.
    Like the idea, though.:D I'd see about making it waterproof too -at least rain proof.

10. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Subbed. I look forward to seeing the progress on this.

11. ChromAnomaly

ChromAnomaly What's a Dremel?

If I were James Bond, I would need you to build me one of these. Looking great so far.

12. Maki role

Haha at least we actually know for sure what's in this case at least ;)

Thanks man!

Yeah I was a little taken aback too, despite designing the thing. Luckily it will still be in the realm of easy to transport around despite the lateral dimensions. As for waterproofing, oh yeah definitely, coming from the city that rains, it's a must.

Thanks Kenco, updates should be a little more regular (fingers crossed) from now on.

Hehe, can't imagine you'd survive long as a spy with something this conspicuous though, or is it a double bluff?? :naughty:

Last edited: 13 Feb 2014
  13. ChromAnomaly

ChromAnomaly What's a Dremel?

If no one thinks the Aston Martin is suspicious, they won't think twice about your case strapped in to the passenger seat :)

By the way, I think I'd go with aluminum case panels. Carbon is prone to scratching and impact damage - it's real strength is in tensile, which doesn't really help much for a protective case.

14. Meelobee

Meelobee What's a Dremel?

Take the case with you when you goto the airport, fun with customs guaranteed! :D

Great start Maki, the renders look very cool and the teaser looks even better. More pics please!

15. rakesh_sharma23

rakesh_sharma23 Minimodder

Seeing that much gold inside the case customs might suspect you for gold trafficking. :D:D

16. Egami

Egami Why is the dremel on fire?

Oh lordy... Sub me in!

17. siliconfanatic

siliconfanatic Johny-come-Lately

[​IMG]

Been waiting to see this pop up in the forum. And hey, I managed to get here bright'n early this time! Sub'd, for sure!

18. samuraiweasel

samuraiweasel What's a Dremel?

Holy Moly :blush:..........subsubsubsubsub..... :thumb:

19. Maki role

Honestly, with the number of Astons you see about the roads today, I wouldn't be surprised if people automatically didn't notice them anymore (talking London streets here).

I've been thinking long and hard about the carbon vs aluminium point. The thing is, for this I wouldn't be using real carbon, just some dinoc to wrap the ply with. I have worked with the real stuff a number of times though, not easy but damn does it look good. It is, however, also pretty expensive, so I only really use it where the structural properties (or the look, but it has to be significant for that) actually make sense, as you mentioned. It does seem like the overwhelming majority have asked for carbon, so I'll likely go that route, although I may use ally for a future case.

Haha I can imagine they may take a shine to it, would have to be fully drained mind thanks to the stupid liquid regulations. :grr:

Sorry for taking so long on the pics front. I wanted to take some in natural light and only really just had the time to do so. Well, to an extent at least, I've also been working on sanding the piece down, which is rather slow business.

All aboard! :D

Haha just in time, we're about to depart!

Thanks!

Right folks, sorry for taking so long to get to, well, this stage. You're just going to have to trust me in that there's a lot of behind the scenes work going on, sadly that doesn't make for great project log material.

I recently decided to pick up a tripod to replace my broken DIY one (I vow to fix it one day). This is mostly for making my own HDR scenes for render work, but also for video (since the D3200 video function is actually rather good thanks to the hulking lenses) and of course night time long exposure holiday shots and whimsical water photos. Because of this, I decided to refrain from taking some higher quality pictures earlier. Instead I decided to get to work sanding and buffing the piece. It still has a long way to go, but with water inside the runs, it already looks pretty good. Just need to work my way through the grades a few more times.

Phame is also making me another part, the backplate for this section. I was originally going to do it myself, but I realised that it would leave absolutely no room for error, and I can't really have another front section made either. Hopefully we'll be seeing that in the next couple of weeks.

So here are some long overdue photos of the piece itself, had to make the most of that glorious March sunshine eh?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decided to slot in the reservoir and pump to show how things fit. The card is just an old 590 I had lying around, it's a fair bit bigger than the card that will actually go there, plus the ports are in different locations.

I'm looking forward to being able to take this one forward at a greater pace. At any rate, April should be an exciting month!

20. gungravevn

gungravevn What's a Dremel?

Awesome looking "case"