1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress *** PHINIX AURORA *** - 12/10/14 - Grand Finale !!! It is done...

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by phinix, 24 Jul 2012.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thank you guys! Yeah, probably peeps are still in Christmas/New Year festive mood:)

I ordered two missing blue plugs and will apply them next time.
    Next move will be soldering leds - I need to make all the lighting for drive cage to lit up those white shelves. My mum is visiting us for couple of weeks this Friday by I may find some time during weekend to make some progress.
    Of course will show everything here:thumb: I think it should be a nice update, always like moments when I finish lighting bits and can show how nice it all looks turned on. Hopefully this one will look like I imagined in my head designing it;)

2. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Going well :), nice front design.

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks:thumb: Hopefully it will look as nice as I imagined it when lit up:)

4. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

I predict it will... respect for your always meticulously planned builds :dremel::thumb:

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Child labor?!? You even made her work over the holiday break, you monster!:lol:
    Looking great, as usual. I suspect you will be re-wiring soon, though. The different radius turns each cable has to make means some of them will need to be longer, unless you plan on taking up the slack near the PSU and stuffing the extra in some kind of snarl container?
    -Or do you plan to give them the ribbon cable treatment?

6. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Cheers guys:)

I know what you mean Cheaps - I was thinking about it when was wiring it, but then I decided to keep it like it is. I may have about 4-5cm longer wires on one side but it will all go hidden in power cage. I hope I will have enough space there to hold all the wires and main junction for fans leds etc. Should be ok:worried:

7. mnpctech

Any new updates Mike? ...I know Lian Li has been watching too..., maybe they will learn some new things... hehe

8. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Hi Bill, yes I'm preparing an update, should put it up this weekend.
    What I have done is I soldered lighting for drive shelves - it was pretty hard, cause those shelves are very near to each other and I wanted to keep those wires as short as possible. Of course I got photos of the process so will show it on my new update.
    For a last 3 weeks my mum was visiting us so didn't do much except that soldering, so will get back on it this weekend. I need to mount front panel before I do any other things, so this is for next step.
    I have prepared those small opal acrylic mounting holders for the panel so it is a matter of screwing it to the case and drilling front panel. Pretty straight forward.. I hope;)

9. mnpctech

Last edited: 15 Mar 2014
  10. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Update time!

I had some of this stuff done like 4 weeks ago, but wanted to put together some more, that is why update was pushed away few times.

Plus one little accident that happened week ago, I will explain below.

So! A while ago I had those 4 small cubes made for mounting front panel. I had to drill holes in them and push those threaded inserts, then mount them on case frame and screw front panel to it.
    I matched and measured front panel and drilled holes in it. Bought some 25mm long M3 screws and here it is:

Cubes mounted, waiting for inserts...

[​IMG]

Inserts inserted:)

[​IMG]

..and front panel fits like a glove:)

[​IMG]

Next was to drill 20mm holes in rear of the case for 2 buttons that will control lighting in the case.
    Holes drilled, filed, sanded and one of the white buttons tried on...

[​IMG]

After I mounted front panel, I noticed that it all looked nice and pretty, but... I had to "adjust" it a little for dvd!
    Front panel had too much stuff on the way of slim dvd drive.
    These cases have plastic bits on top and bottom of the front panels so both, aluminum and plastic had to be filed down...
    Here is plastic bit cleared, dremel action:)

[​IMG]

Then front aluminum bit also cut off, dremel action:)

[​IMG]

Tried the dvd drive and all looked fine!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...then I tried to put on top panel...

[​IMG]

Little "lip" strip was on the way! Oh you little...!!!

[​IMG]

..now.. that's better...:)

[​IMG]

As you see there is a big hole in drives bay, so I had to cover bigger part of it.
    I asked Tom From ChilledPC to cut a wee rectangle to cover it. It had to be precise 149x65mm with perfect 90degree corner, so had to be done on CNC.
    Tom cut it out for me and day after I got the piece. I will mount it later using rivets on both sides.

[​IMG]

As i did most of the wiring before, I still had to mount 8pin graphics card power cables, so had to measure and cut out hole for it.
    Hole cut out and sanded..

[​IMG]

...and PCIe cables in the hole, nice...

[​IMG]

Now the bad moment...
    As you saw in previous updates I used M3 threaded inserts in all acrylic bits.
    Next step was to make mounting blocks for reservoir that will hang on two blue rod spine I made for drive cage.
    So I made same shape white acrylic blocks and I pushed M3 inserts in them, same as before...

[​IMG]

However, when I was mounting it, I screwed them too much and inserts broke through...
    Looks like those M3 inserts are fine for small and delicate mountings. So I had to order M4 inserts, same as I used in Phinix Cube.
    Those "baaastardos" are huge compared to those M3s. They came last Friday and I could continue my work. I pulled out those M3s, re-drilled holes and pushed M4 inserts.
    Look at the difference! Only 1mm bigger screws and how much bigger inserts are! M4 has nice big teeth so it holds in the plastic really strong.

[​IMG]

NOTE FOR FUTURE : do not use M3 threaded inserts for installations that needs to be firmly mounted!

So, reservoir holders mounted and look nicely:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last thing I have done last weekend was... top fan exaust hole !!! :)

[​IMG]

I'm telling you guys - this machined billet aluminum fan grill is so sexy, I unpacked it and was touching and admiring it for good 10 minutes:D
    Fantastic piece of aluminum, nicely made Mnpctech!
    See, I'm gonna powder coat it satin white to match the whole theme, but inside I feel like I would love to leave it like it is.
    If I'm gonna make some future projects with Mnpctech 120mm blow hole, I will definitely leave it unpainted!:)

So, frosted blue acrylic pieces had to be cut, same theme and shapes as front panel of course.

Action photo (well, with jigsaw turned off;) Right in the middle of drawn lines, I like to draw 3mm gap - perfect for jig saw cutting...

[​IMG]

Here they are, 3 acrylic pieces and blow hole kit:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First, I cut out "round" hole in top panel... well, not really round I say:D
    but it doesn't matter, it will be covered anyway...

[​IMG]

..then in acrylic, first time I use jig saw to cut 120mm hole, pretty good for a first time!

[​IMG]

..and blow hole kit tried on.. perfect!

[​IMG]

That is it for now. I hope you like this wee update.

Next one on Thursday, 13th March! :D

Last edited: 10 Mar 2014
  11. Cheapskate

Yay! Update.:D
    Things I learned: Don't screw too hard.
    The inline drive/res setup is going to look great.

12. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Thanks Cheaps:thumb:
    Yeah, don't screw too hard, important thing:)
    Slowly this project is coming together, winter time is passing, days starting to be less rainy, so it's good, hopefully will come up with updates more frequently.:worried:

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Sound sexual health advice. :thumb:

14. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

It is! :D :worried:

15. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I can't believe I missed these photos!
    I've done lots of soldering for drive shelves lighting and never showed it!:wallbash:
    So here are few. Again, please note that I'm not a good in soldering, simply get the job done:D

Here is my soldering station/mess ready to go:)

[​IMG]

Each shelf gets 2 3-led strips, all shelves' lighting soldered together between levels and goes out with one pair of wires straight to the power chamber.

[​IMG]

I gotta say, soldering those strips is a pain! I don't know why but solder doesn't hold of it easily! Am I doing something wrong? I almost burnt it through, solder didn't hold on to the small round pads on the strips. I finally get them all soldered but seriously, pain!:wallbash:

[​IMG]

...anyway, today I took out radiator and fans to put together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love the "whiteness" of those fans:)

[​IMG]

Both screwed down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is how it's going to sit in the case, fans sucking air from inside the case to the front of it.

[​IMG]

I bought myself few bits and wanted to show here - white ring power switch and fill port.
    They both will be mounted on top of the case. Fill port will be sitting next to the 120mm blow hole ring, connected to the top hole in reservoir.
    Power button - I haven't decided yet where it's going to go.

Any ideas?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK, now I have to dress up, it's time for birthday party:clap:
    See you next time guys:rock:

16. Cheapskate

Soldering: I changed the flux I was using and my work improved considerably. -So, 70's era flux= bad.
    Switch: In the elongated triangle bit next to your blowhole maybe?

Enjoy that birthday. There comes a time when you dread them.:worried:

17. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

That triangle bit is reserved for fill port. I may put switch on middle strip, cause front triangle is mounted above dvd, so no much space there.

Cheaps - about Birthday - you are younger than me - I hope you weren't talking about yourself?:)

18. mnpctech

Age is nothing but a number guys... :D

19. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I need to keep saying it to myself all the time:)

20. mnpctech

Especially hard to accept when you start getting emails from your kids... lol