1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V The Sonos Thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeK, 16 Oct 2013.

1. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I also like to put music on remotely, with one of my servers having the sonos client on and RDPing to it, or simply from outside. Comedy gold.

2. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

That's so on my list of things to do next week :D

3. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

It's here!!! Just as I was leaving for Bristol.... ><
    Shall tinker tomorrow...
    :)

4. jinq-sea

You'll love it. ENJOY!!

5. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

I have not played with the desktop app yet. Can some one confirm if you can create and edit playlists and add radio stations via weblink over the PC app?

6. jinq-sea

You can certainly edit and create playlists, and I'm 99% sure you can add stations via weblink. I can check for you later if you like?

7. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

if you have a chance to test would be great, I got so much going on at the moment I don't have a free sec to do proper research. Still adjusting to play now and add to queue and replace queue all doing slightly different things LOL. :lol:

8. jinq-sea

I'll check the radio stream point for you tonight - no sweat. PC app allows copious playlist editing though. It's good.

9. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Radio stations can be added via their streaming url.

And the 1 is much bigger than I was expecting. It's also far more powerful than I'd remotely suspected.

Plus it's awesome. Feeling another one before years end and some wall brackets :)

MSHunter likes this.
  10. jinq-sea

True! I wasn't sure if it was a feature of the desktop app. It is though. Checked :)

Enjoy!

MSHunter likes this.
  11. BigM2006

BigM2006 What's a Dremel?

This thread got me interested, and I've just got myself 2 Play:1's.

I set em up in Stereo mode, which is great, but means I now need to get another one as I want one in my bedroom as well!

It is really nice to get something like that this "that just works"!

12. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

So I got my connect for Christmas and now have sonos in the bathroom and living room.

If you get a connect and want a simple cheap way of linking rooms you can do what I've done which is run a distribution amp on the line out and then just run that cable to where you want it. I've then used cat5 converters to get that cable long distance around my house to an old set of PC speakers in my bathroom cupboard above the washing machine.

It's obviously nothing compared to having a unit in each room but it's a way of connecting rooms that aren't worth a full system.

(It was mostly cheap because i already had everything I needed)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/4-way-video-splitteramplifer-l82ah

13. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

Play 1 number 2 ordered :D

14. jinq-sea

Haha I love how everyone loves Sonos so much. I feel like my work here is done :)

15. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Do you have to use a streaming service with these, or can you simply stream locally sorted content?
    Built the family a media pc and I thought it might be able to act as a 'hi-fi' replacement in the future as the current cd player in the living room is on its last legs, so I could get a Sonos and then play any music from the PC?
    Could it also be used with the PC when watching films etc?

16. jinq-sea

No you don't have to use streaming services at all - it also loves local content and if you buy the right model, has a line in!

It handles most popular formats too, including FLAC which is brilliant.

17. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Like a play 5 which I have, thought I am doing something wrong when I try to use the line in from my phone as I get no sound. At some point I will fix that but it drove me to make sure all our music is on home server now, so I got no real reason to try :worried:

18. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Thread bump!

Anyone been using the new beta SW/controller? Biggest change for a while, I very much like it, despite taking a bit of time to get used to initially. Seems much more responsive than the last one generally, and switching between zones especially. No real issues, but it forgot what all of my zones were called on first installation, which made for a bit of trial and error in renaming them.

Just picked up a ZP90 for £150 on the basis of it apparently "having seen better days" but functional, ex-demo and unseen. There was a single dark mark on the top that came off with a few wipes of a damp cloth.... result.

On the topic of connects, I'd like to invite everyone and anyone to support my recently submitted suggestion to Sonos...

https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/_connect_pro_high_end_sonos_connect

19. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Awesome. I also need to put forward a suggestion that I came up with the other day:

Lock mode/Jukebox mode/Party mode.

Basically add an ability for people to add music to a play list without being able to skip/change the playlist or group/ungroup the zones so that people can use the sonos like a pub jukebox.

I had some friends over the other day and I was putting requests on but it would be awesome if I could just leave the iPad on to do that. Shouldn't be too hard to add in as functionality.

20. jinq-sea

I love the look of the new controller app - although I can't Beta as I am an iPerson...

Do we know if the Controller itself (the physical hardware) will run the new controller s/w?