1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Mozilla's new CEO causes a stir

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 25 Mar 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

HoMo(phobe)zilla.

3. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

While I don't in anyway support his view, it's his view, as long as it stays only in his personal, private life and does not affect in any aspect how Mozilla is run then it shouldn't be an issue.
    Everybody's entitled to their own private beliefs as long as they don't affect those around you.

4. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Well thats $80m well spent isnt it.
    Sure, the Donald Trumps of this world will have put in the majority of that on each side, but $80m!?!
    What is the world coming to where a country like the US, bombing countries in the name of freedom, needs $40m to deny their own citizens a freedom, and another $40m to put them straight.

Thank goodness we've solved world hunger and everything else.
    $80m!!

Did someone mention Mozilla?

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I don't understand how $40m is, by any means, worth spending on something that shouldn't affect him personally. Why does it matter to him if gays get married? If he's religious and hates it, does he honestly think what he's doing is going to score himself some points with god? I'm pretty sure god doesn't like blind hate and bribery. Maybe he lives in an area where a lot of gays reside. But with that kind of money, he could simply live somewhere else, or, pay the gays to leave. Maybe hire the westboro baptist church to come to his town (where at least he'd get the negative publicity he deserves).

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not sure you read that paragraph thoroughly, chap: he donated $1,000 of an overall ~$40 million fund - he didn't personally donate the whole $40 million.

7. richiehatchet

richiehatchet What's a Dremel?

"Everybody's entitled to their own private beliefs as long as they don't affect those around you."

I somewhat agree but donating to a a proposal is directly trying to affect those around you!

8. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

A large majority of the US citizens are against gay rights as they are very religious people. They see it as "wrong doing" as it isn't how God intended things to be. These are usually of the older generation and the younger generations are seeing it as if it were normal. It will eventually die out, but there will always, like anywhere in the world, be people against certain rights that we as humans should automatically have.

People with financial power will always try to block things if they can, just like those will try to get it approved.

9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

According to the LA Times:

Total donations from Mozilla employees in support of Proposition 8: $1,000 (1 donation)
    Total donations from Mozilla employees in opposition to Proposition 8: $1,350 (3 donations)

So does that mean that Mozilla are a net opposer of Prop 8? In which case, aren't they the good guys?

10. hyperion

hyperion Minimodder

What the hell, Brendan. We already had this debate last week. Sort your timing, man.

11. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

Yes thats a good point , but then that could be said about any group that is donated.

But I actually really meant it more in connection with the business, essentially: he can think what he likes in the privacy of his own home just as long as he doesn't try to push his views into the business, was what I was going for, lol

12. somidiot

somidiot Minimodder

Wait, They guy may have an opinion opposite to the LGBT community and the first thing they do is ban hammer the company he works for? Should those that have an opposing view boycott Rarebit?

13. schmidtbag

@Gareth
    Sorry my bad - I was kind of in a rush so I did skim through it quickly. I have a tendency to do that a lot, if you haven't noticed. But even then, $1000 is a lot for something so stupid to spend money on.

This is why I personally hate living in this country - it's culturally too diverse to summarize into 1. I live in the north east and it angers me to no end that I'm associated with the deep south and California. All of the negative stereotypes of the country fall in those 2 areas. The north east has the last amount of "problems".

14. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Well I guess he has the right to his personal beliefs.

Fortunately I have the right to boycott a company run by a bigot.

15. leslie

leslie Just me!

Actually, the country has turned the other direction, the majority now supports gay rights and gay marriage, at least to some extent. It's not a massive margin, but a majority none the less.

It's a movement with enough momentum that religious leaders have gone so far as to admit defeat. It hasn't stopped them from continuing to push back, but they know it's a lost cause.

He didn't just have an opposite opinion, an opinion is saying you dislike something.
    This guy publicly spent money to oppress people, and yes, it is oppression. Prop 8 wasn't to allow gay marriage, it was to take away their right to civil unions.

Opposing views are fine, just don't try to oppress people regarding matters that don't actually matter to you. I don't like broccoli, does that give me the right to tell others they can't eat broccoli? If you don't like gay marriage, don't get gay married, and if you want to eat broccoli, eat broccoli. It doesn't effect me if two men or two women marry, or if the person next to me eats broccoli.

16. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

But reality doesn't work like that, personally held beliefs affect everything a person does in their daily life, regardless of how much they insist otherwise.
    In this case he's openly taken steps to deny rights to others, Mozilla have supported him (and by implication his view) by putting him in charge. Fair enough, it's a free country, but now that everyone knows where he stands people are just as free to move and speak against him for his beliefs as he was to move against other people, just as they are free to move and speak against Mozilla for their apparent support.
    Such is life

17. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

But then just to play Devils advocate, aren't you trying to deny him his right to support his views, I mean it's an endless circle and at the end of the day someone and someone's rights have to be oppressed.

If a person owns a business and chooses not to employ gays, blacks etc because those are his personal beliefs then do we have the right or does the government have the right to force our beliefs on him and say he must hire the aforementioned minorities?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

18. schmidtbag

I understand what you mean, but it's not a matter of opinion anymore once you start paying/bribing someone into enforcing your beliefs upon others. If you want to be a bigot, fine, nobody else has the right to stop you. If you want to try to convince people to listen to you, I don't approve but go ahead. But once you start meddling with other people's lives, that's where the problem arises.

19. Gareth Halfacree

As you're from the UK, then yes; refusing employment to someone based on sexual orientation, gender, or skin colour is discrimination and therefore illegal. See also: refusing service to people. S'a classic legal loophole that a racist bartender can refuse service to a black man, so long as he doesn't say it's because he's black; as soon as he says "I'm not serving you because you're black," that's discrimination and illegal.

There are limited exemptions for religious beliefs and the like, but basically yeah: 'we' have the right, enshrined in law, to force companies to stop being dicks about employing people with different belief systems, sexual orientations, skin colours and/or genders.

20. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Yeesh, who gives a ****? People think this is the first time someone with controversial views has run a company? No one tried to start a boycott of Apple after Jobs stopped all the CSR programs.

The militant gay tendency is strong and organized (see Sochi for a recent example) but ultimately does itself more harm than good. What this fuss boils down to is "this man holds views we dislike therefore he shouldn't have a job". It should all blow over as long as Mozilla's leadership can hold their nerve.