1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia launches Tegra-based Jetson K1 SBC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 26 Mar 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

Seems pretty good value for money if the price is around 120GBP. Not sure how appropriate the comparison is? RPi does the job it was designed to do pretty well, this hopefully will too.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Still waiting on word of UK pricing, but I reckon it'll be closer to £150 than £120. (£116 plus 20% VAT plus the cost of getting 'em here and any import tax to pay.)

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Boo! It's not the dual core version. That promised to be a lot more interesting.

5. Gareth Halfacree

There's plenty of dual-core SBCs out there already, though - but affordable quad-core is rare. They're all aimed at proper professional users who don't mind going direct to the chip maker and spending the sharp end of a grand...

6. azazel1024

azazel1024 What's a Dremel?

I am sure this has some uses that a NUC couldn't...but this appears to be about $20 more than a NUC and the only thing it includes over it is RAM and storage...at less processing power (compared to a NUC Bay Trail). Or if you don't mind only a small amount more space, a Bay Trail based mITX board is 1/3rd the price...which makes a final system a fair amount less money and a lot more capable.

Just seems...overpriced. By like a third (or more).

7. Gareth Halfacree

Apples to oranges. A NUC isn't a single-board computer; it requires you to add, at the very least, some RAM. The NUC doesn't have the GPIO capabilities of the Jetson (or any other hobbyist-themed SBC) either, which makes it useless for embedded projects unless you're going to hang a load of Arduinos off it. There's also the noise to consider; a bare-bones NUC kit includes an active fan, and passive cases cost more than the Jetson does on their own, while the Jetson is passively cooled.

The latter brings me onto the big difference, however: power draw. The Bay Trail Celeron used in the NUC has a 7.5W TDP; the Tegra K1 has a 5W TDP, despite having four physical processing cores (plus the companion core, for low 'idle' power draw) to the Celeron's two. Sure, the Celeron is probably faster in general compute (assuming here, I haven't looked up figures) but I'll bet it's not twice as fast. Add in the significantly more powerful GPU (with full CUDA support, if you're doing GPGPU) and that's a very tempting package indeed.

8. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

Aw darn, I thought this would be the 64-bit dual-core Denver K1 :(

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

And has a wayyy cooler name than Next Unit of Computing, who wouldn't love to say they have a Jetson :D

10. PingCrosby

PingCrosby What's a Dremel?

Aw, I used to love The Jetsons

11. Sheiken

Sheiken Wat?

Is it feasible to use this as a base for an "ordinary" desktop pc? Depending on which OS you choose of course.

12. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Damn .... 127x127 is too big :D. That won't fit inside a keyboard. I'd prefear wider but less deep form factor :lol:

13. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

I have just taken receipt of a CubieTruck

Not bad at all for £55 inc international postage, obviously not as powerful as the Tegra based board, but not to be sniffed at!

Looking forward to turning it into some kind of NAS/web-server : )

14. GuilleAcoustic

Does it support opengl or opengl-es ? If it has native openGL with linux drivers, then this is a pure win.

15. Gareth Halfacree

I reviewed the CubieBoard 2 a little while ago - the upgraded one with the A20. Nice little unit, although the stock Android install was crap.
    The full OpenGL 4.4 specification. Yes, full-fat. Nowt tekken out. Honest.

16. GuilleAcoustic

That is very interesting and will ensure hardware acceleration desktop environment. Maybe the Amiga reborn should be a scaled down (read 1:32 Amiga 2000) instead of a keyputer.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That was my point!:clap:

18. MrJay

Ill be flashing it with Lubuntu : )

Id quite like a Tegra board, price is a little steep for me though, I should imagine its going to come in at £150 +

I've become a little obsessed with low power computing recently :geek:

19. Alecto

Alecto Minimodder

How did you get the price that far down? It says $99 (on sale) for me, and that's prior to any shipping and import duties (it says they ship from China directly so there will be VAT on top of everything at the very least, plus potential hassle with CE statement of compliance).

20. MrJay

Well I was fully prepared to pay import charges, they however fudged the import papers so I had noting to pay when I picked it up.

It was under $99 when I bought it, they where doing some kind of deal.