1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft warns of Word zero-day vulnerability

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 25 Mar 2014.

1. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I have to add that it also opened in wordpad, which is also a freebie so not bad Microsoft.

As other people have also confirmed here, I'm not the only one experiencing these "open" office compatibility issues.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No, it isn't. It's bundled with Windows, which last I checked is a paid-for proprietary operating system. That's like saying that Ford gives away free steering wheels.
    Dude, enough with the scare quotes. OpenOffice is open. Here, have the source code. Care to offer me the same for any recent version of Office or Wordpad? Yeah, that's what I thought.

As we've proven, historical compatibility issues are largely a thing of the past. I can send you files made in LibreOffice and you can open 'em just fine. Remember the experiment we just did? Hmm?

3. Snips

Gareth, I'm not out to scare anyone and even though our experiment worked, I received a file this very morning that didn't so I reserve the right to judge the "open" office compatibility issues.

As to the freebie not counting, since you are trying to convince some Windows users to use LibreOffice. Surely it's wise to point out that in this very instance, the software that came with their operating system did the same job and would be ordinarily updated through their normal OS update procedure.

I never claimed that Microsoft Office was the be all and end all of Office Suite software, I was just sticking up for the major player that the majority of office suite users buy/download/use, that for some strange reason get ridiculed for doing so. I've used the software for over 25 years and never really felt the need to look elsewhere. I'm not saying that's right, I'm just saying that's what I do and that you can make an informed choice to use whatever you like.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I'm not trying to convince anyone to do anything. As I frequently have to clarify: I couldn't give two hoots what software anybody uses. You want to use Microsoft Office, more power to your elbow. I just wanted to correct some misapprehensions about the alternatives, including your claim that LibreOffice and OpenOffice (again with the scare quotes - shall I start referring to Micro$oft like it was the 90s all over again?) were completely useless for sharing files with Microsoft Office users. As our experiment proved, that's not true. You can make claims to having received any number of incompatible files you like, but it flies in the face of the very public evidence of our experiment.

Again: anyone is welcome to use whatever software they like. You use Office and it works for you; I use LibreOffice and it works for me. Hooray for choice!

5. Snips

Sorry Gareth, text does sometimes come out sounding a little harder than it was meant to.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Apology accepted, and I apologise for being in any way unclear in my postings.

Incidentally, did you know you *can* download the source code for Microsoft Word? Granted, only for non-commercial research and experimentation, and it's Word for Windows 1.1a, but still. It's quite fun having a search through for key phrases like 'bug,' 'hack,' 'nasty,' and 'god!'

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

What I think is interesting that the response to a vulnerability in Word is to argue for using OpenOffice or LibreOffice instead, as if those programs are absolutely secure pieces of software with no vulnerabilities. We know about the Word ones, because it is such a widely-used (and targeted) application. But at the risk of quoting Romsfeld: there are known knowns, and unknown unknowns...

9. Gareth Halfacree

Nobody here has tried to claim that; in fact, the whole OpenOffice discussion began with the claim that its users were safer because it's not as popular as Microsoft Office and therefore isn't under constant targeted attacks, not because it's inherently more secure.

Now, there is the argument that it's easier to find security bugs in open source and free software because you can actually look at the source code; sadly, as recent events have shown, that doesn't always help. Apple's recent "goto fail" whoopsie, as an example, occurred in open-source code; worse, gnutls had an authentication error that could allow for man-in-the-middle attacks for an estimated eight years before somebody at Red Hat spotted it in a security review. Embarrassing.