1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel upgrades the Edison

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 31 Mar 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

I was under the impression that Quark was more of a beefed up 486 rather than Pentium.

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Then you were under the wrong impression; it's the full Pentium instruction set architecture, right down to having the F00F Bug - which wasn't present on the 486. I can tell you that as an absolute certainty, 'cos I've got a Quark-based Galileo right 'ere.

4. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Might be interesting. I'm after something that can handle FLAC and generate I²S signal. Right now the Beagle Bone Black is my best friend, but I'm not done searching for another viable solution :D.

5. Gareth Halfacree

The Edison's no good for you, then; it's more of a computer-on-module (CoM) than a single-board computer (SoC). Have you looked into a Raspberry Pi with a Wolfson Audio board attached?

6. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I'm following this blog : http://hifiduino.wordpress.com/

They made an interresting comparison between Rpi and BBB : http://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2014/03/10/beaglebone-black-for-audio/

I have an antique (1963) Telefunken valve amp + valve radio tuner that I'm willing to modernize. The idea is to keep the antique look of it and add a network controlled media player. I need a µC with ethernet + I²S to access and read audio files (or web radios) and and I²S DAC to send analog signal to the preamp stage (ECC83).

I've ordered two Ti/BurrBrown PCM1794A chip soldered onto an SSOP28 to DIP adaptor for the DAC purpose (one per channel).

Last edited: 31 Mar 2014