1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Hayfever? Or mower rage?

2. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Strongly considering quitting my job. It's a thought that's been on my mind with increasing frequency and I feel that it might be best to just leave now.

It's decent enough work, and some aspects I'm good enough at, but it's becoming increasingly apparent that my coworkers are far beyond me. There are technical aspects which I enjoy but the social aspects and "business politics" are beyond me. Obviously it's not such a huge performance gap as to result in me being fired (yet?), but it's extremely unpleasant operating as the weak link. I feel bad holding others back, and sometimes coworkers aren't as discreet with their gossip as they think they are.

First world problem? Probably, particularly when considering the alternatives. I should be glad to at least have a paycheck, and at a modest wage that at least beats minimum. But the mental toll it's taking is making it questionable.

3. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

You'll be learning a lot from them if they really are better at the job than you are.

Have a quiet chat with your boss?

4. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Ready to put my project onto the PCBs and it starts acting up, pretty sure it was just a software issue so I continued.
    Decide to check some voltages when I put the battery onto my first board and ZILCH! NADA! (worked earlier) so now I'm stressed hoping the battery is just flat and I'm not up **** creek.
    No headers I need left so I'm left botching it till the ones I really need finally arrive.

On top of that Mum sent me and siblings a ominous texting stating she had been to the doctors and she was being referred to the hospital, by the sounds of it routine but she has to have some form of concern to deliberately make us aware of it, woman called today sounding official and asked me "could she call back today" I'm hoping its just for convenience to get an appointment booked but it didn't make me feel good.

5. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Not just hay fever. I have a severe restrictive lung condition (my sternum sinks in, called a pectus cavus deformity) and severe allergies to grass. When people do it, it's down to MASSIVE amounts of diphenhydramine HCl, albuterol rescue inhalers, and filtered air, and even then I can cough enough to black out. My inhalers are low, due to going for so long without insurance (which I do have now.) Some people sneeze. I can black out, cough til I bleed and lose my voice completely. We don't even HAVE grass in our yard (just mud and a few tree sprouts) and if a neighbor cuts it I'm that sick.

It sucks.

6. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Kayin - Hopefully, your disability payout will also cover O2 deliveries for this sort of situation?

7. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

One of the best ways to learn is to be chucked Ito the deep end!

But is stressful, get stuck in and improve. Your workmates should respect this, if they don't then they probably massive dicks.

What exactly do you do? Pardon my ignorance :D

8. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

A messed up Active directory Global Catalogue :waah:

9. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

people whining to me about xp no longer being supported.

i dont give a **** get with the program already! peasants!

10. DeadP1xels

Well either my boards are wrong or my batteries are dead, replacement batteries coming for the sake of it.

It seems like such a small issue, but to come from almost failing my first year to being HUGELY successful on my third year its pretty upsetting having to come to terms with this project not working despite all the potential it had, I've driven myself into large amounts of debt trying to achieve it but its just simply not meant to be.

All I feel right now is hundreds of pounds and hours of mind numbing working, invested in absolutely nothing, Honestly feel completely gutted.

I have exactly 13 days to present this to my supervisor and 15 days till the open day, between now and then I have around 8-9 shifts (of around 3 hours each...) just to ruin the rest of the time I have **** YOU WORK.

The last hope is finding somebody who can print me some last minute pcbs

Last edited: 9 Apr 2014
  11. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Have I missed a thread or some posts about this project/assignment DP? I'd be willing to help out if possible but have you discovered the issue with the board at this point and are just stuck for getting the PCBs printed?

12. DeadP1xels

It was something that was going fantastically well unfortunately taken a turn for the worst.

Not as of yet it makes ZERO sense, I'm hoping to solve it in the next few days given a close look at my designs and getting new battery's in because I'm clinging onto the distant hope I've drained them too much since using them.

13. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Thankfully, I'm not on oxygen. My only issues are generally active grass cutting. The rest of the time I'm well able to manage.

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I just meant having a cylinder in the corner for when it gets really bad.

15. DeadP1xels

Stupid neighbour kid screaming for no reason at all outside while im soldering, scared the **** out of my I dropped the soldering iron while checking out a solder joint.

In order to keep potential kids in the future I tried to grab it best way I could sacrificed two fingers instead of spearing my balls...

teaches me for not putting it back in the stand I guess.

Smelling your own flesh burning on the end of a soldering iron is not nice

EDIT: Definite short circuit on the boards and searching through my PCB design and physical item I can see absolutely no place it could be... over to plan B no more posting in here *sigh*

Last edited: 10 Apr 2014
  16. PAULWARDEN

PAULWARDEN What's a Dremel?

The royal mail not delivering an item i purchased from ebay that should have arrived wednesday or thursday then finding out that according to RM that item is not delayed until 3 working days have passed also seller on ebay reckons i cant start a resolution process until package has been delayed 14 working days from expected arrival

17. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

My Ashdown cab was delivered and I unpacked it to find a much older model with some slight damage. After speaking to customer service it turns out I was sold an ex demo. Problem was dealt with well but it's more time I have without a cab, and I'm hoping the return process is painless, because I'm incredibly, incredibly miffed...

18. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

The seller is correct, as is Royalfail. Assuming they sent it out the same or next working day via 1st class, it usually takes 2-3 days to arrive depending on the distance within the UK it has to travel- after 14 days it is considered lost and you can open a case for non-delivered item.

The seller should have used trackable / signed-for delivery though, so they can prove when it has been delivered, or not, in order to speed up the claim process and get their money back from royalmail ( after refunding you ).

19. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

it's 'lost' after 15 *working* days [so 3 weeks] for non-SD mail, and 10 working days [2 weeks] for SD mail...

linky

20. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Well, after 14 working days- the 15th day is when it's officially lost- you pedantic git... :lol:

Still, I hope the seller did use signed-for delivery at least, otherwise he's screwed himself over....