1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos Photo of the Day

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by bentleya, 25 Jul 2009.

1. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

There a lot of these online today. Most of them are way better than mine. One of these days I have to invest in a real tripod and a better lens. One of these days. At any rate, here's my total lunar eclipse from last night. That was a long, cold, windy couple of hours on my roof at 2:00am, but well worth it to see the event unfold in person.

[​IMG]

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

That's pretty freakin epic, monkey!

It was completely clouded over here last night, unfortunately :(

3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

That's awesome Monkey. While i was made aware of it, it wasn't visible in the UK as it was 7am, but i did catch a glimpse of it in the morning light.

Sam

4. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Fantastic concept supermonkey, pity about the last two. Camera/tripod shake or exposure too long?

[​IMG]

5. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

It was a combination of both. My lens didn't allow me to get very close, so to get a good exposure of the dark red moon without losing too much detail to noise I ended up using a low ISO and dragging out the shutter. If I recall the exposure for the last frame was something around 30 seconds. I've never invested in a quality tripod - the one I have is a cheap plastic one from a discount store. Even though I had weighed it down with a bag full of water bottles, there was still enough shake to ruin the long exposures.

In hindsight, some of the shake is probably due to the mirror moving up prior to the shutter firing. There are a couple of ways to mitigate this, and it's something I'll think about for the next time. It also just occurred to me that a 30 second exposure of the moon may cause some blur due to the moon's movement. Astrophotography isn't something I've ever done, so it's all a learning experience for me.

It was nice to be doing night photography again. The last time I really did this was back in college, and I had a black sheet over my head while gazing through a 4x5 view camera. Apparently my skills are bit rusty. :(

6. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

Something from Easter Sunday, no, it's not actually related to Easter at all...

[​IMG]Anne in the dunes by JazzXP, on Flickr

7. Cthippo

Always glad to see your name as the latest post in this thread, jazz :D :thumb:

8. stonedsurd

That makes two of us :D

9. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I'll third that ;)

10. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

Haha, thanks for the love guys! There'll be plenty more of this girl to come! So many great pics from the shoot. I think we shot four sets, and even quite a bit of variety within those.

11. Cthippo

Hey Jazz, I was wondering something...

I've noticed in your shoots you prefer a certain "tarty" look (Is that even a word?). A lot of your models have lots of tattoos, piercings, and wear a lot of heavy makeup. Is this down to your preference? Model preference? Where the market is?

I noticed it especially on this one which is a very natural shoot, except from the heavy eye makeup. Just curious...

12. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I wouldn't say tarty, they're more alternative/suicide style with the tattoos, piercings etc. I'm also interested to know the reason for it :)

13. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

It's actually just an area I've fallen into more than anything. Melbourne has a very strong Alternative scene. Unfortunately they're all broke, so no money to be made there, so I'm trying to move towards more regular models.

In this one the heavy makeup was just something the Makeup Artist did for this shoot (which was done before I even arrived at the model's house). I probably would have preferred something a bit more natural for a shoot like this, but some of the other stuff we shot, the heavier makeup works perfectly.

14. stonedsurd

15. JazzXP

JazzXP Eh! Steve

So this was taken quite a while back (January), but it was meant for publication. Unfortunately due to a mix up (publisher's end), that's not happening anymore, so we (Samii and myself) have decided to just release the set publicly because it's been killing us both sitting on them!

[​IMG]Samii on the boardwalk by JazzXP, on Flickr

16. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last few mornings have been rather beautiful- misty + 'the golden hour' makes for very atmospheric pictures :)

17. pyro1son

pyro1son Linux User!

Here's a few I took the other day whilst having a break from revision.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Any comments/tip/critic welcome

18. stonedsurd

19. cpachris

cpachris What's a Dremel?

EK. It's what's for breakfast.

[​IMG]

20. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

If you need anyone else to sit on them just let me know.