1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Any R290 owners yet?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Neogumbercules, 10 Nov 2013.

1. rollo

rollo Modder

Last edited: 15 Feb 2014
  2. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I've just managed to procure myself a 3rd card from littlepuppi which already has a waterblock and backplate. I've also managed to get hold of a couple of backplates for my existing cards.

I'm now in a dilemma as to how to go ahead with the build. I have a few questions and rather than start a new thread, I hope you dont mind me asking in here. If you do, I will move it to it's own thread.

You can see my existing build above; I am definitely going with the white tubing/fittings on the gpu loop but I am in a quandary as to what else I should do.

My thoughts are:
    1) Replace the 'stoppers' on the graphics cards with white monsoon plugs
    2) Replace the 'stoppers' on the graphics cards with black monsoon plugs
    3) Replace the red fluid with mayhems ice white
    4) Replace the red fluid with mayhems pure black
    5) Replace the CPU loop with white tubing / fittings or black tubing fittings and then what colour of fluid?
    6) What colour stoppers to buy for the caps of the reservoirs and should I go for the longer 204mm tubes on the reservoirs to help keep temps down?
    7) Do I spray all or the ram covers white or do I do 2 of them white and 2 of them black?

One minute I think I have decided, then the next minute I change my mind. I would appreciate any input as I'm just going round and round in circles, driving myself mad.

Last edited: 19 Feb 2014
  3. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

At least I know if I wanna get rid of mine any time soon it'll be for a fat profit :clap:

4. Neogumbercules

Using MSI Afterburner to play with fan settings. THIS SUCKER GETS LOUD! I scared my fiance hah.

5. Bhuvsta

Bhuvsta Minimodder

Has anyone tried a NZXT Kraken G10 on one of these? I am thinking of getting a 290 and going down this route, and would be grateful for some input. From the looks of it the vrm / memory don't seem to get any cooling. I was planning on waiting for Maxwell but that seems to be quite a while off.

Last edited: 31 Mar 2014
  6. Neogumbercules

Well that was a fun ride. My R9 290 officially died at 6pm EST today. Funeral services will be held in my back yard. Bring gasoline and a sledge hammer.

The other day my case was so hot near the exhaust vent it nearly burned my hand. Using a Corsair 250D with plenty of airflow in an open area which is always way too damn cold (according to my fiance) so I know my setup wasn't a problem. Maybe 95c is just too much after all.

7. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Think best I did was keep onto my two 7970 matrix plats

8. Neogumbercules

Well the upside is with my sapphire vapor-x 7770 back in there I can finally appreciate having a quiet PC again:hehe:

Currently the plan is to get an RMA from Sapphire, hope they don't have any stock R9 290s leftover and get a replacement with their aftermarket cooler on it. Is that immoral?

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Its not immoral to hope! :thumb:

10. Neogumbercules

Call it karma to make up for that time I sent back a 680 when I ordered a 670. :D

EDIT: Wonderful. My RMA process is being outsourced to a third party and a quick internet search turns up nothing but horror stories. WOOONDERFUL!

Last edited: 22 Apr 2014
  11. David164v8

David164v8 Minimodder

I wouldn't worry about drivers too much really, admittedly I don't have a 290, but I've never had a problem with my 6870 for the 2 years I've had it. i installed a friends 280x and he's had no driver problems with it either.

12. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

agreed, ive been running ati/amd cards since the 3 series and cant say ive had any real driver issues, in fact i think the old amd drivers being rubbish stories are a bit of a myth

13. Neogumbercules

My experience with AMD drivers has been fine as well.

14. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

As AMDy's replacement it is my duty to inform you there there has never been a problem with amd/ati drivers and those who say other wise must be nvidia fanboys. Also there's nothing wrong with the stock cooler on the 290's, they're a work of engineering genius.

This post was brought to you by 'Sarcasm', in association with 'Attempted Humour'.

P.s. Too soon?

G0UDG likes this.
  15. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Never going to work, mate. You just don't have that... what's the term... swivel-eyed dogmatism.

16. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

DO YOU WANT BANNING AS WELL, ANDY? No? I thought not. HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Both called Andy? Both Bit-Tech members? Same IP? (No, they haven't, as far as I can tell)

;)

G0UDG likes this.
  17. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Oh dear, what did he do? Perma banned or on a break?

18. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

It's a bit, um, permanent. Let's just say he was very, very rude about a fellow moderator, and the banhammer came down HARD...

19. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Fine cards. I like the way they stand perfectly straight in their slot. Not like slouchy, droopy Nvidias - just lazy... and they smell like poo.

20. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

After seeing the news about the new games offers for AMD cards, it's a damn annoying that no such offer was available with my 290 when I got it.

It's performed more than admirably for me since I got it. Never had any driver issues with it at all. When it's going mental in terms of eating up games, you can just about hear the fan through my headphones, so sound has never been an issue.

I'm not a fanboy of either manufacturer, I generally go with whatever is best for the price at the time.