1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

How excited are you?! :D

2. Wozzname

Wozzname Some random guy

Oh, y'know. Just a tiny bit. :p

I definitely haven't been counting hours since yesterday lunchtime.

3. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

How did it go? Mine is up for renewal soon >.<

4. RTT

RTT #parp

Indeed. I've got a good few stone chips on my tank - just decided to live with them :blah:

Managed to pick up my first ever puncture the other day in perhaps 30k road miles :rolleyes: Surprised it hadn't happened sooner given how much shite is littered around London's roads. Timing was somewhat comical - had just filled the bike with fuel on the evening preceding my brother's wedding - 6AM start to ride 150 miles up to Norfolk. "Best check oil/tyres/pressures before the journey", I thought. Que massive nail staring me in the face... Got it plugged (as in a "proper" repair, not the side of road kits) - no time for a replacement given it was 4PM when I discovered it. New tyre booked for next weekend - thankfully it only had maybe 1k miles left in it anyway :duh:

In other news, anyone in or going to Norfolk, the A1065 from Swaffham (northbound) which turns into the A148 is quiet, flowing and really enjoyable!

Last edited: 19 Apr 2014
  5. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Got out yesterday for the first proper blast of the year

This is the Elan Valley in the middle of Wales

[​IMG]

Oh, and that's not me, I am - of course - much fatter

6. RTT

RTT #parp

How's the level in the various reservoirs? Last time I was there (2012?) they were ridiculously empty :D

7. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Practically full right now. We cut across the A44 and went up past Nant y Moch as well - that was also full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Went out today for an awesome ride with a load of sv1k owners and past owners in North
    Devon, was really fun and the first proper long ride on the bike, was rather more brisk than I'm used to riding in a pack though haha

9. Wozzname

Wozzname Some random guy

One CBT done! Got to say 30mph on a bike feels significantly faster than in a car. Not protected from the environment whatsoever!

Or flying demons bees. Very nearly had one in my helmet while going round the tarmac off-road part, with my visor up. :eeek:

Definitely need to invest in warmer gear for up here though, was freezing half the time!

10. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

:thumb:

Congrats mate

I remember my CBT and thinking 30 mph was fast, now i look at my speedo thinking 70 Mph feels slow, i am sure i will be backed up on this. I hope you look forward to many a great day out on your bike.

On a side note ,i managed to take part in the local Easter egg run, more than 500 bikes rumbling through the local area. A great feeling and for a great cause.

11. Trance

70 mph, thats cornering speed! But congrats on passing dude, suit up and enjoy the ride :)

12. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Congratulations. Take your test as soon as you dare/are comfortable with/can afford. I procrastinated my way through 2 CBT renewals (making for 3 taken in total) and in retrospect it's just money you can't get back. Worth doing it sooner if you're going to do it at all! You've got two years per CBT, of course, but the time really flies.

Unrelated note: my front wheel (CG125 again) has developed run-out and wobbles slightly but visibly. I've been reading about wheel builders, but are they still a thing? And is it worth paying to have it readjusted, or should I just break out the spanners and try to readjust it myself? (My first response was to replace the entire wheel, but turns out they're about £500, so...yeah.)

13. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Woo hoo - congrats

Take it to a garage - get a professional opinion - it might just be the bearings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Went on the Ace's Southend shakedown today; Great fun. It was amazing seeing so many bikes around. few people around acting silly buggers, but all around a good day.

First time I've really done a group ride; it suprised me how aware you have to be of your surroundings; at more than one point I was shoulder checking to change lanes, only to find 3 bikes about 6in off my rear tyre! at least 4 times I saw people bumping into each other as well... Madness.

15. RTT

RTT #parp

Yeah, I dislike massive group rides for that reason. Plus don't see the appeal of "the Ace" - mostly frequented by twats on 1000s in trainers+tshirts and simpson helmets </grump>

16. Trance

Cus none of them know how to ride in a proper staggered formation, I mean it's not really hard and you can still go pretty fast...

17. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I too have always thought big group rides are a recipe for disaster.

18. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

In that respect, the guys on the big thousands weren't too bad... it was the tw@ts on YZF-R125's that pissed me off the most; one notable situation was me and another rider next to each other at 50~ mph, in the same lane, when one of these numpties comes through between us at 70, wearing no gear bar his helmet. Scared the **** outta me too.

19. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

The small comfort I take from riders like him is knowing that, like drunks who play on railway tracks, the problem will eventually solve itself.

20. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Is life insurance worth the investment for a motorcyclist? Just considering the huge risk involved, and the payout my brother will be burdened with in the event of my death.

It's not very costly for a decent lump sum since I'm a 21yo non smoker with no serious illnesses.

What is everyone's opinions?