1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft stock buoyed despite quarterly profit dip

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 25 Apr 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

I wouldn't mind betting that if Microsoft had put the surface tablets into distribution, they would have sold better. smaller IT resellers cant get them at the moment without paying normal retail prices, you have to go to retail chains in order to buy them.

3. Bede

Bede Minimodder

Pretty certain "bouyed" is not a word.

4. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Pretty certain it is. Means to be lifted by something external. Derived from buoy which is a floating aid to navigation which rides up and down on the tide.

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Question: In Microsoft's quarterly earnings report it says...
    Emphasis added by me because i wanted to asked what they mean by "sold in"

From what i have read Microsoft is playing with words, as some people are claiming the term “sell in” is used when a manufacturer sells parts into the channel. So are Microsoft reporting what has been shipped to retailers and trying to pass that of as units sold ?

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No, Bede's right: I typoed. The word is "buoyed," not "bouyed." Fixed, ta!
    They're right: "sell-in" is sales to the channel, "sell-through" is sales to the consumer via the channel. So yes, a big chunk of those consoles may very well be sitting in warehouses and on shop shelves rather than under people's TVs.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

Think the Xbox one is selling a lot worse than most assumed, Sony has given confirmed unit sales to customers microsoft only given shipped to retail sounds like the surface all over again.

Think the Xbox one like the surface rt is struggling in the face of the competition who this time have launched quicker ( world wide) with much better gamers console ( its a lot more powerful long term that will make a dif) kinnect never was a big thing for the people I knew who owned the orginal 360.

8. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

I wouldn't be too certain of them sitting in warehouse's. I've seen reports (how in depth I would question) but know people personally who have partex their PS4 for XboxOne's. The main reason has been lack of quality titles. Maybe Microsoft were right to tie up so many exclusives in the long run. I have to add that people I know personally have been die hard Playstation gamers, so I was shocked to hear they had changed.

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Even if they were not sitting in warehouses 1.2 million is still way under the amount of PS4's sold approximately
    3 million per quarter.

I can't think why anyone would swap a PS4 for a Xbox One, when the PS4 has more games and more exclusives.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_One_games
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_4_games

10. rollo

rollo Modder

1.2million is still 1.8million less than the last figures Sony give at the start of march and that was a sold to customer number. Been rumours before that Microsoft wanted to sell the Xbox brand. Most fans were saying they had sold 3-4 million Xbox ones in this quater before this was posted. In counter posts to sonys actual sales figures.

As I said before they did a similar thing with the Surface it won't happen this time but it's not shifting as fast as they wanted that is a known fact.

Microsoft need to improve distribution the fact japan one of the biggest markets for video games still does not have a launch for the console is a massive failure on microsofts part.

Don't own either console and won't be getting either.

11. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

The word that may have taken more interest in was "Quality" exclusives. I'm only stating what I have witnessed and seen elsewhere.

Also, I wouldn't read too much into the lack of Microsoft Xbox launches in Japan, it's always been a Sony/Nintendo/Sega huge fanbase and has never really deviated from it.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

Xbox 360 still sold 10% of all its sales in Asia market so it can not be all that bad. Either way you look at it its still struggling to make the same impact as the xbox 360 did.

for a few main reasons 2 of those would be price and lack of 1 year + sales lead on the next console to launch. Ps3 was more expensive and late this time around the PS4 is cheaper and launched at the same time and has the more powerful hardware.

Niether console has a great exclusive yet ( Not seen alot due that id say is must buy either) Titanfall was pretty average another fps game ( Its a pretty average pc game for the record) and thats the main exclusive launched by either side so far. ( Last great console game was GTA 5 and before that The Last of Us )

Lack of tv features outside of the USA with no time frame for if or when these features will reach international markets ( My guess is never )

That and the whole we want to be the media box of your living room well some things for that to really happen. TV DVR is the biggest by a good way as it stands. TV support outside of USA is next.

Port all games to PC and id be happy though.