1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals Mechanical Keyboards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Raptor77, 27 Dec 2011.

1. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Here is a board of mine that has Cherry A profile, compare to the shift row which is B profile.
    [​IMG]

As far as the DCS being awkward to type on, well that is only my personal opinion, though there are quite a few people that happen to share it. It's up to you to decide what you like. I like Cherry only so I tend to stick with it and talk about it and recommend it. For me I simply find it the most comfortable, and of course it doesn't hurt that they happen to be some of the nicest quality keys around either.

2. Yslen

Yslen Lord of the Twenty-Seventh Circle

That board looks really awesome, I'm sat here trying to figure out the model number... G80-3000SAU? Or are they new dye subs? :p

I can see the difference with the bottom row profile vs the Cherry caps I have in front of me, so thanks for that. It doesn't look like a something I'd really notice, but I guess I'll see once I have caps of all shapes and sizes to try out.

3. IvanIvanovich

Thats some doubleshots, with BSP dyesub RGBs. It's a frankenboard... but was originally a HAU I think. Caps set was from a MY board, with new case from a different MY board, and I swapped the switches for reds. I also did the in switch lock led mod to it, so I still need to get a hold of some beige windowed keys for that and a solid label to replace the now useless lock lights decal thing.

4. Yslen

Oh, there was me thinking they were all dye sub! They look very matte, so I thought PBT. Great board anyway, makes me want to keep my 3494 just for the shape... except I have no caps for it and I don't really have any use for another full size board.

EDIT: A question for the room - are Signature Plastics 6.2x space bars in their inventory really 6.25x, or is 6.2x some obscure size I've just never heard of before?

Last edited: 25 Apr 2014
  5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

It is not the desk, after adding extra feets to it is is rock solid, and what i "complain" about is only the noise of keys itself. But i can live with it.

At least in price it is :D.

Didn't really plan to do that anyway, at least not in close future. And when the time will come, i am sure 3D printing will be already commonplace.

6. IvanIvanovich

I was lucky enough to grab the MY board that set came off was essentially new. SP 6.2 is same thing as 6.25. The 3494 is a great board, one of the better modern G80 models to be sure. Might be worth keeping an eye out for some cheap used Cherry doubleshots set for it, then sell it on as you would get considerably more with an appropriate caps set on it. Even still without caps I would guess you could sell it for at least $50-60.
    As far as cap sets for the K65, it's not too bad if you get in on a groupbuy as typically we cover all the key sizes needed asides from the spacebar since it's an odd size that isn't really available. Even still, if I remember right a 6.25 space stems are in the right places so those can be used if you can live with a 1.5-2mm gap on each end with the Alt keys.
    Any board that comes with those kind of keys is worth getting rid of them in exchange for some nicer aftermarket set. Different keycaps can change the feel and overall typing experience considerably. Also thicker keys drop the pitch bottoming out makes which can make it a lot less noticeable.

7. Yslen

Thanks! I might order a couple.

I've just remembered your plum/imsto dye sub GB set has a numpad in it, so I could put that on the 3494... hmmm...

8. IvanIvanovich

Indeed, that would be a great set to put on there.

9. Yslen

The more important question is why isn't there a tenkeyless Cherry board? I'd love something like that.

10. IvanIvanovich

11. Yslen

I'd buy it!

12. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

I didn't even know Cherry ever did TKLs...

13. Yslen

I don't think they did, it's a mod, right? I assumed that was what the :dremel: was for :D

EDIT: there's a build log which documents a similar mod, not sure if it's the same board Ivan posted. Anyone feel up to it? :p

Last edited: 26 Apr 2014
  14. IvanIvanovich

Indeed a mod, it has been done by a few people. It's a fair bit of work but doable. Some pcb revision are probably a bit easier than others.

Cherry never made what would be a standard layout TKL in MX, though there are some older models that are as compact like this G80-1229
    [​IMG]

15. Yslen

I need to think of a way to make use of so many keyboards... I'm just about managing to use two, and could possibly use a third, but beyond that they'd just be in boxes unused most of the time. Hmm.

16. IvanIvanovich

If you start collecting... you could do like me and try to limit to stuff that is more unique, and different enough from each other. That way you have the option of rotating boards when you want something different. Like you could do one of each ansi, iso, jis, some prestandard era vintage stuff with funky layouts, matrix, or whatever each with a different switch type. Always try to get them all on the cheap, that way when you decide to sell you can possibly double or more what you bought them for. Hunting for good deals on neat vintage stuff is one of the things I most enjoy about my keyboard hobby.

17. *Alex*

*Alex* What's a Dremel?

Now that I've finally got some moneys, I'm having a real hard job choosing a keyboard!

Its hard to find a TKL US is it ANSI? layout in the UK as there seems to be more cap choices for them?

Any suggestions?

18. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Other than to import or buy second-hand, there are very few options open to you.

19. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

started my ghetto 60% today. I don't reckon this is going to be a "decent" keyboard, I just have bits and pieces about and it's more an exercise in seeing if I can make it work.

[​IMG]

edit: I realised, just now, that I have done this slightly wrong :D So tomorrow, I need to unsolder it all and start again haha.

Last edited: 26 Apr 2014
  20. *Alex*

*Alex* What's a Dremel?

Anyone got anything going? :D