1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics I don't like SLI

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kronos, 2 May 2014.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

As per my signature I have 2 x GTX 670 and to be honest I think I would prefer one single decent GPU.

I am going to assume it would be better to wait as there is not much that would be a decent upgrade around at the moment.

What might I be looking for/at in the future?

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

but didn't they make SLI wonderful ;)

GTX 780ti btw

PingPong likes this.
  3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Yes tremendously wonderful lol I never get any problems with sli I think mixing brands of cards is a mistake tbh, but a single 780ti would be good

PingPong likes this.
  4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Please may we have your reasons e.g. heat, noise, microstutter? :(

PingPong likes this.
  5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I think you make a valid point Tel.

Nothing I can really pin down. But suddenly games will crash that certainly did not do so before. Icons on desktop suddenly do not react to any clicking for a while. Minor things in general but did not occur before.

This is a fresh install of Windows with very few programs installed and most of those are ones that I have used or had installed without issues.

6. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Could just be a duff card; I wanted to go SLI with my 670 so I won't let you put me off Kronos :p

Have you tried both cards individually to make sure there are no problems?

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Yes and both cards are fine.

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Mixing brands should be fine. Its SLI that is the problem. Entirely not worth the hassle IMHO.

9. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

I had 2 x 670 4gb evga cards was wonderfull when working but the time it stayed stable was minimal.
    I ended up with a 780ti hydrocopper and have not looked back.
    Seems some people have sli luck and other don't matter what you do it won't work

PingPong likes this.
  10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I am wondering whether to go for a 780Ti and punt the two 670's on the MP to recoup a little cash back. Or wait for the next gen cards?

11. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I've now run two different SLI setups (680 4GB Cheesecake and 780 3GB SC) and have had no issues with either. They have been exactly the same cards though (same manufacturer, same model) and also on the same motherboard. I think that the motherboard and CPU have as much of a role to play as the GPUs themselves and also that mixing and matching different models is not the best idea even though it can work.

Edit: Ninja'd :lol: I would say that if you're having issues with your setup to the point of wanting to change then do it sooner rather than later - firstly there's nothing as frustrating as having a setup you're not happy with but also there's no indication of when the next gen will come out or what it'll be like when it arrives.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

2 480s I had never really worked out too well but that was 2 different cards from 2 different manufactures.

2 580s both evga both launch cards were pretty stable depending on title some titles just hate SLI and Cfx period.

2 680s had them both since launch and not had alot of bother some games for example PA and Splinter Cell Conviction hated SLI and refused to run with it enabled both were patched and fixed to working. Rome 2 was another broken game for sli.

BF3 and BF4 both worked flawlessly as did Crysis 2 and 3.

Wether id SLI again depends on budget at time of launch of next gen cards and what im aiming for. If you wanna game at 4k expect a SLI or CFX system no matter what card you want to buy and that is surely the next step for most people on this forum who already own SLI systems

13. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I have had a fair few SLI setups over the years:

7600GT SLI
    8800GTS 320Mb SLI
    8800GTS 512Mb SLI
    GTX280 SLI
    GTX580 SLI
    GTX680 SLI
    GTX780Ti SLI

The only setup that I ever had any issues with was the 8800GTS 320Mb setup and Need For Speed Carbon, where it would stutter like crazy but when I went with the 512Mb versions it was fine.

My next purchase will be a 4K screen to really start pushing my current 780Ti SLI setup.

Most games I have do suffer from some stutter and some games don't use SLI but a single card covers those games easily.

If you are looking at getting rid of the SLI and going for a single card then you just need to think of what your budget will be and then get the best performing card you can.

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have not got a budget as such. Really looking for recommendations and then I would save my pennies. I could sell the 670's now as I have a spare Evga 660 which would do until I got a new GPU.

PingPong likes this.
  15. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I've been running multiple card rigs for years now and also had issues with SLI in the past, especially when using cards from different manufacturers.

I found though that it greatly improved if I flashed the GPU bios's so that both cards had the same one.

16. Teelzebub

Yes it SHOULD be ok but doesn't seem to work that way, tbh I think it's the user that's the problem not sure why they get problems and others don't maybe it's the config of their system or they just don't know how to set it up properly

PingPong likes this.
  17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Please explain what you mean by setting up properly as on another thread about that very subject and one of the responses I got was " After adding the second graphics card, you'd need to go into the Nvidia control panel and enable sli mode. You wouldn't need to install any additional drivers or anything." So if I am not doing something can you tell me what it is exactly?

18. Teelzebub

I've used SLI for a very long time and normally from the first build so adding cards isn't what I do I never get drivers clash etc I build the rig install the cards and load OS and then download the drivers and install and all ways identical cards, Hence why I said I'm not sure why people get problems and others do.
    Oh and I don't install any of the Nvidia driver that I don't want.

I would have uninstalled the drivers and reinstalled after the cards had been fitted

Last edited: 2 May 2014
  19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

As I said earlier this was a totally clean install of windows and getting SLI to work was a breeze as opposed to adding a second card and then faffing about.

I am not saying I am getting major problems more like niggles but I would prefer no niggles and the niggles have occurred after going SLI. No big deal. I have tried it, don't like it much, so I will go back to a single GPU.

20. Teelzebub

Just had another read of the niggles tbh I just don't get any of that.