1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Satanist statue to go up in OK Statehouse

Discussion in 'Serious' started by KayinBlack, 5 May 2014.

1. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

http://www.vice.com/read/heres-the-...monument-being-built-for-oklahomas-statehouse

I'm going to shock everyone here and say this-I 100% support that statue. If someone puts the Ten Commandments up on display, they should be accorded equal opportunity. I'm not free if you're not free, because what I take from you will be taken from me eventually.

America does not have a state religion, although we have a mostly Christian heritage. These are two different things altogether, and confusing the two is dangerous. Yes, most of America is Christian, or claims it, and the number was higher in the past. But it was a matter of choice, not state practice. We were free to be Anabaptist, or Quaker, or Amish, or Episcopalian as I am. And that same freedom means the Satanists, Luciferians, Baha'i and everyone else should be equally represented-if one is, all should be.

Someone else surely has thoughts on a statue of Baphomet instructing children, care to share?

2. NIHILO

NIHILO The Customer isn't always right!

So metal.

But all in all good for Oklahoma! 'bout time we get some true religious diversity. It be nice if they started teaching the truth about Satanism.

3. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I wonder if satanists have denominations.

Are there orthodox satanists who insist that the ceremony must include human sacrifice and who argue with the reformed satanists? Do the different branches discriminate against eachother's members and fight wars over who are the "true" followers of the Dark Lord?

What bugs me about things like this is that they don't address the real issue, which is one religion trying to impose it's values on everyone. This isn't about Satanists, if they even exist, it's about one side creating a circus to point out the inequalities of the other. Unfortunately, this sort of thing is all too common in American politics where we can't discuss, or agree to disagree, on the real issue and so we are reduced to these kinds of side shows.

It's not confined to religion, either. Most of the hot button issues in the United States are projection of other, deeper issues that no one is willing to discuss openly. Abortion and birth control are proxy battles over sexual morality and the role of women. Gay rights battles, including marriage, is about conformity to societal roles. Immigration and healthcare reform are largely about racial politics, as, toa great extent, is gun control.

A big part of the disunity in the United States right now is due to the demographic changes the country is going through. We've been moving towards a situation where whites are no longer the dominant majority for years now, and the election of a black president is the first really visible evidence of that change. Old white men are becoming less relevant and less dominant in society and it's scaring the hell out of them, and they're lashing out, trying to re-assert control over the direction of society.

The ironic part is that by trying to prevent change they are actually enabling it. The Schism within the Republican party and the radical right's domination of the message are going to alienate a lot of right-leaning people towards the center who don't want to be associated with he wingnuts. There aren't enough old scared white men to form a viable party, and their refusal to engage non-whites and women is going to alienate those who might otherwise agree with them on many issues.

Finally, if the satanists really do hold celebratory orgies, then sign me up!

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Well, at least hell is always open. Even on Christmas. :p

5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

About time I got some recognition

Yep just like the corner shop you'll all end up there sooner or later :thumb:

6. Nexxo

And the toilet roll is just as crappy and overpriced. :p

7. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

The 'to go up' isn't quite right... yet... They haven't been granted permission as of yet. They also know what's in store for them if they do get to place it. That's why they've made a mold so they keep making more to easily replace the ones which get destroy / stolen / modified.

I think the conclusion either be to reinforce the link between state & church and allow the commandments statue but deny others, or the commandments statue will be removed and placed on private land in a significantly more prominent location.

State and religion should be keep well apart. Don't open state up to all religious viewpoints, shut it down to every one of them.

8. Teelzebub

In every toilet in hell there's a note on the wall saying " If on the roll you find no paper under the seat you'll find a scraper" :eeek:

Last edited: 5 May 2014
  9. Nexxo

...but it will turn out there's no scraper. :D

10. Teelzebub

Life / death can be so cruel

Lol hence why demons have long finger nails :worried:

11. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

It's a pretty cool statue. It's more interesting looking than just some dude standing there with his knob out.

Clearly I'm a cultural afficionado.

12. Teelzebub

Lol

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Wise move on their part, because such items have been stolen before in other places.

I'd agree that allowing everyone is more fair than just one, but also feel that the best solution is to allow none at all.

14. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

Whether the statue goes up depends on the outcome of a pending lawsuit. The ACLU has sued the state over the 10 Commandments statue.

From what I 've read, if the state loses, they can declare the statue is "private speech" to keep the 10 Commandments up, which also allows the Baphomet statue to be placed. Although I suspect the state will refuse on a technicality, and another lawsuit will be required.

There's precedent though - Atheists got a monument erected in Florida, but then atheism isn't quite so divisive...

In short, don't expect to see this soon.

15. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

I support this, every religion, even the smallest cult, deserves a fair chance.

16. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Personally, I'd prefer that governments just get on with the business of actual governing.

17. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

But it's stuff like this that diverts attention away from what a crap job governments/councils are doing elsewhere :p
    Smoke and mirrors...

18. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I want a statue of "The Great Joo-Joo At The Top Of The Mountain".

No idea what he should look like. Probably a beard, yea a beard and not much clothes. And a mystical stick held aloft and maybe a bone through his nose? Yea, that should do it.

And Zeus is pretty cool too.

19. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Ahem...you forgot a Flying Spaghetti Monster statue, but I'll forgive the oversight - it's already been done:
    [​IMG] (from here)

20. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Lol. That's not my god but, you know, I'm tolerant :). Believing in something is better that believing in reason, right? Whether it be Thor, Mo, Joo-Joo or the Flying Spaghetti Monster. At least we all believe in something other than reason. I support my unreasonable brothers.

(PS I want that Spaghetti Monster statue. I see he comes with two Meatballs sat on his left & right sides. :))