1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL Being that PC guy... the gifts!

Discussion in 'General' started by Blogins, 7 May 2014.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Never really given it much thought before but being that PC guy, fixing computers here and there, don't half get some weird gifts for the expertise! I mean there's the usual middle of the road beer that's nice but just recently got a bag full of bacon. Not the first thing that would spring to my mind to offer as a thank-you but I'll enjoy it all the same! :D

Any weird gifts exchanged hands for PC services rendered?

2. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

you got a bag of bacon ?? DEAL OF THE WEEK!!!!!!

i once got £40 knocked off a B'N'B bill for helping them fix their computer. It was an easy fix, just as it was for use by the public it had the usual amount of stupid adware and and such. ended up being a simple re-install of windows and installing them some anti virus software

3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I built a computer for a college lecturer and the wife got a pot plant and chocolates :( wouldn't mind but couldn't even smoke the pot plant

Last edited: 7 May 2014
  4. rollo

rollo Modder

Alcohol is a usaul gift for such things.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Wierdest? In no Particular order [not all for the same job]

A Duck
    An entire palette worth of cans of Britvic Orange Juice
    A Venison Haunch
    1 Kg of biltong made from springbok

And a bizarre 3 way trade involving a engine cylinder head and several bottles of rum...

6. Teelzebub

And someone I thought was a friend would occasionally bring a computer round for repair saying it was the kids which I later found out he was charging his mates for repairing their rigs and getting me to repair them for free :grr:

7. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

It's the people who don't offer anything that gets my goat.

Built several pc's for people recently and not a dicky bird, I don't expect to be paid but a 4 pack of cider (Tesco's own £2.15) wouldn't go a miss. I even upgraded a couple of bits out of my spares.

Then when my wife needed some help with something from the same people and she got nothing.

Lesson learnt :)

I don't really expect much but it costs me electricity to work on them as well.

It's the thought that's counts :)

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

At what point did the numbers not add up?

Number of kids Vs. Number of computers! :D

Don't mind throwing in some surplus fans and spares from my stock for someone I like but with the acquaintance category I charge a reasonable rate for parts and leave gratuity open ended. Handy for ditching some old parts I don't use actually and leagues better then they were using anyway. The main feature scrubbing up an old build is to ditch the tiny fan that's inevitably installed up front and put a nice fat 120mm extraction fan on the rear of the case. Voila, air circulation/peace and quiet is restored.

9. Teelzebub

He has 5 kids, It was at a party one night and some stranger tells me how good at fixing his rig he was that made me think B**T**D :eyebrow:

10. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

I built a friend a basic website and he skimmed my hall / stairs / bathroom and toilets.

11. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

A friend of mine who works as a cook at some restaurant went to work to make me a special burrito with chicken, steak and pulled pork. I fixed his pc in 15 minutes, it was literally just updating a driver (gpu fan wasn't spinning up, causing pc to overheat). It was probably the best burrito I ever had.

As of late, when I fix things, I tell people ahead of time what I think it is, and what I would charge to fix it. No point leaving it open ended and being disappointed in the end.

Edit: Helped my cousin at the spa she works at, and they gave me some free services. 1st and last time I'll ever do that.

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

a box of korean tea bags

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

A few jars of salsa for checking out some backup issues for family friends (sad to say they lost quite a bit of data). It was actually quite good.

14. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Beer and chocolate is usually the norm, I refuse to accept money for fixing stuff for family and friends. unless its going to take more than a few hours or I'm short on time and do it instead of something else.

My best one was a box of 20 beers couple bags of cookies and a couple boxes of mini brownies and flapjacks

I ended up quite jolly with one hell of a sugar rush

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

My [good] friends know better than to ask me to do it for free [whether or not I accept the payment is another matter], Family I usually charge more than my normal rate, they're the ones most likely to take the piss...

16. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

My neighbour brings over freshly baked curry pasties, they're absolutely delicious!

17. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I've gotten beer quite a bit, or gift cards. A guy at my dad's work actually gave me a 24 of Carlsberg just for removing a virus, it literally took 30-40 minutes to scan and clean.

18. DLDeadbolt

DLDeadbolt Space Cadet

[​IMG]

boiled_elephant likes this.
  19. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I helped a gaming friend spec and build his pc and even wrote him a guide on how to put it together, setup his ssd and install windows etc.

He works for a super market distributor in NI and to my surprise a consumer box of 20 x200g galaxy chocolate bars turned up on my doorstep :), that's one of the best items I've ever received.

20. Jim

Jim Ineptimodder

4Kg of chocolate?

I'm glad I packed in the computer repair stuff... by the sounds of this thread, I would be seriously obese by now.