1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Haha I'm totally with you there! You do get used to it though ;)

2. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

I keep plugging away at 4 but it just dont have the same grip that 3 did

3. Unicorn

I just lost a game of CQL on Oman from having a 500 ticket lead 1 minute after joining the server to losing by 4 tickets. It was at this point that I decided I'm done for the day. Probably the week.

Three CST 100's join the server, are put on the opposite team and we lose a 500 ticket lead in the space of 20 minutes. In all honesty I haven't had a decent, enjoyable game of Conquest in about 3 months. I think I'm almost done with BF again.

4. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Don't play on sh*t servers, get good in vehicles. When you're good in vehicles it's nowhere near as infuriating, losing a game since you aren't dying, or shouldn't be dying anywhere near as much.

5. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Cheers, it's mental isn't it? I'll stick at it though, really enjoying it.

Annoyingly, twice this evening the game stopped responding when I was about 45mins-1hr into a round (and doing quite well, even if I say so myself :D). Maybe the warmer weather is taking it's toll on my system but I'm also reading many others have had similar issues, unrelated to overclocking.

I'll lower my overclock and fingers crossed that sorts things out.

Last edited: 8 May 2014
  6. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

^ Interesting rig you have there, some say it's not CPU intensive, others say it can be. For you though, I wonder what temps it gets to.

Re: Gameplay.

I don't like high ticket servers, they drag on and the destruction is blown early on, maps can be ruined by this; Most of all though, if the teams stay unbalanced it's not much fun.

The skills from CS should serve you well, the only difference is the re-spawning. Watch your mini-map, have the blue zone behind you and the red in front; You can be in the hot zone and have blueberries run past you like lemmings to their death.

7. Unicorn

I join servers that are evenly balanced and then that happens, there's nothing I can do about that. What can you do when you have nowhere to spawn on Oman but the US deployment and the enemy team's jets and attack helo are constantly spawn raping for about 10 minutes? I had a positive score until those guys joined and I ended the game with the worst score since my first week in the game.

I am as good as the next guy in land vehicles, and can certainly hold my own in any helicopter as long as I don't get shot down by jets every 2 minutes, the only vehicles I'm still learning are jets and that'll come with time and practice.

It's a fairly mental transition from the epic repetitiveness of CS but it's also awesome at the same time. I haven't played CS in a long time now, it's definitely over 2 years since I put in any more than a couple of hours and I don't think I've launched the game in more than 18 months. I doubt I'd be able to hit a bot in it now if I fired it up again, a stark contrast to several years ago when I was playing for 20-30 hours per week! I got really into Reach multiplayer at Christmas time in 2011 and met lots of great people to play it with as a team, which ended up being much more fun than the last couple of years I spent playing CS:S, which were spent playing on public servers without a clan or community to enjoy, and only getting invited to the occasional late night 5v5 mix with a few old clan mates and rivals.

8. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Yes, since it's been getting warmer I've noticed the CPU - air cooled by a Titan Fenrir - reaches 74C after a long bout of BF3. I'm also pushing this RAM quite hard (it's only PC6400) and the motherboard too, so either of those could also be finding the overclock difficult in this warmer weather.

Anyway, I manually updated PB last night (apparently one potential cause of BF3 crashes) and tinkered a bit in the BIOS to rule out any general instability issues. I'll see if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the gameplay tips - I think I'm slowly getting the hang of it (well, on one map anyway). I've been moaned about on the in game chat so I must be getting somewhere :)(apparently if you kill people while laying down suppressive fire through smoke, you must be cheating). Oh, and I also have more badges that Bear Grylls did as a Boy Scout! :hehe:

Yea, CS on the pubs never was as much fun as practising with your mates or a clan on a closed server. Then it was sublime though - such a precise and tactical game - I used to love it too.

Last edited: 9 May 2014
  9. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Specs' says 71.4 deg Celcius for the packaging, I'd guess the chip has a spaz about the temp then: http://ark.intel.com/products/33933/Intel-Xeon-Processor-X3360-12M-Cache-2_83-GHz-1333-MHz-FSB

More useful information: Usually going prone is a liability, [if playing normal] you can still spot through smoke, or aim using the mini-map. Sqd Cover is the best squad perk. http://symthic.com/bf3-stats Know your weapon, some can long burst, some are tap-fire beasts, some are long range bombers while others are short range hoses; Then there is the middle of the road M16A3 which is the average, ok at everything and has a great reload speed.

A couple of vids with a few 'techniques' showcased.

Tanking is highly position/angle sensitive. Beware the combos, and get the right unlocks put on.

10. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

You could be right although there's a lot of discussion over "tj Max" (95C) and "Tcase" (71C) temps and what they mean. Apparently Tcase is measured from the heatspreader and isn't comparable to the temps reported by the motherboard, which are always higher.

Thanks for the tank guides. I've avoided vehicles and aircraft so far but will no doubt give them a try before too long.:thumb:

11. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I have the rest of the evening to myself and I have Guinness. Time for some two-pint-Ramboooo!

(This probably won't end well. :D)

12. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

M60+Foregrip+ Laser sight= EPIC DAKKA

13. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

If only! At the moment I'm stuck between a spud-gun and a pea-shooter. Still, I had some fun with the M320 LVG. We were penned back in the US base on Op Metro and I spent a while firing well-aimed grens down the track in between the train and the tunnel arch. It's a bit like fishing - "plop", reload, wait for the "X" hit indicator. I caught a bag full. :)

Oh, and you may now call me Le Caporal. :D

Last edited: 10 May 2014
  14. GregTheRotter

GregTheRotter Minimodder

Oman is a **** map sadly. No AA except the stationary which is garbage. I never stick around for games where I can't move out of spawn, it's pointless.

15. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I know I'm well behind the curve but I've only just got into BF3 so please humour me. :D

What a difference a heavy barrel makes! With the 4x scope (ACOG?) and a heavy barrel my Aug A3 has transformed into a widow-making death-bringer. *war face* :rock:

Last edited: 15 May 2014
  16. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Blimey, the F2000 doesn't mess about at close range and in semi auto it even managed to give the snipers in the Metro Russian base a hard time from the distant building, with iron sights.

17. fix-the-spade

Bah, try the AEK and the AN94.

The AEK has the same damage output as the F2000, but better accuracy once you've mastered it.

The AN94 has the highest damage per second of any gun in the game, provided you can control it it's a better sniping weapon than the sniper rifles, whilst at close range enemies just sort of... melt.

18. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Ah, cheers. I'm pretty sure I have the AEK but haven't tried it yet. I'll have to give it a whirl.

No AN94 yet but it shouldn't take too long.

What's your opinion on upgrades? Do you stick a heavy barrel on every assault weapon?

What about foregrip - is best just for close range?

Last edited: 18 May 2014
  19. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Foregrip is 50/50, it reduces side recoil, and adds aimed accuracy penalty. Heavy Barrel is a goto, suppressor is useful on certain weapons only. AS VAL is better than AN94.

Yadda likes this.
  20. fix-the-spade

http://symthic.com/bf3-weapon-comparison

Check out the stats and what the attachments do on Symthic, it's brilliant.

But the most accurate setup is heavy barrel on everything, fore grip on everything but the AN94 and G3. Those last two basically go exactly where they're pointed at all times, so the increased spread of the fore grip makes them worse.

On the others the fore grip increases spread (which the HB reduces) but also reduces the recoil (which the HB increases) and reduces the spread increase from full auto fire, so your overall spread is better vs heavy barrel without the fore grip.

Once you've got the timing down you can fire the AN94 at well over 1000rpm with laser accuracy, but it's much harder to master than the AEK or M16a3.

Last edited: 19 May 2014
    Yadda likes this.