1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I think too few people plan for death. If it's affordable, then yeah sure, I'd go for it. It's particularly relevant if people rely on your income/there'd be no way to pay for your funeral.

But if you do life insurance, please sort out a Will as well, otherwise the state becomes the executor and will get involved in what money goes where - and not a soul can do anything about it. I know a great will writer who is quite cheap if that's of interest, btw.

Morbid talk I realise, I wish it wasn't though - dealing with death would be so much easier if everybody planned for their own.

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

If you have financial responsibilities that will be passed onto others in the event of your death, then life insurance is a very good idea. If you're young and in good health, then it should be pretty affordable.

As Julian says, sort out a Will whilst you're at it. If you have financial dependents then you want to know that the money will reach them as quickly as possible and with a minimum amount of hassle. When you're grieving the last thing you want to have to do is fight for the money that you need in order to meet your financial obligations.

3. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Well, if your brother wants to pay for it - then fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

I'm 24 and in good health, my partner is 28 also in good health. We got life insurance that covers us for out entire mortgage (110,000) and it costs us £8.50 a month. Well worth it IMO.

5. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Grateful to you guys for making me think of this, I hadn't even considered life insurance (or heard it could be that cheap). What are the clauses, though, does it only pay out for certain types of death or is it anything and everything?

6. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Generally speaking, life insurance pays out on death, full stop. However, as with all of these things, it pays to read the small print. For example, it used to be not unheard of for life policies not to pay out in the event of suicide, but that's not generally the case these days.

7. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

I've been scanning some old transparencies that my father took at the TT races in the 1960's, think it was around 1968-9, there are some shots of the legendary AGO, Giacomo Agostini and some gorgeous MV Agusta's which would have been ridden by AGO, Phil Read and Mike Hailwood, it was tragic that Hailwood and his daughter died in a road accident which was not his fault because AGO and Phil Read are still alive and it would have been epic to see them all riding a few parade laps and riding around the island with Rossi like AGO did :cooldude:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

boiled_elephant likes this.
  8. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

awesome shots! thanks for putting them up.

9. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

I made some short vids a while ago using pictures of AGO and Mike Hailwood and used the soundtrack from some old albums recorded at the TT, the MV's sound brutal and if you want to hear the ear splitting Honda RC166 250cc 6 cylinder at full chat listen to the Mike Hailwood vid, Murry Walker commentating.

AGO

Mike Hailwood

Skinny tires, rubbish suspension and brakes, man they were brave!

Last edited: 3 May 2014
  10. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Superb - wonderful shots

11. RTT

RTT #parp

Blimey, those are awesome. Thanks for posting

12. boiled_elephant

Aaand speaking of nostalgia, I've discovered my all-time favourite looking bike: the early 90s Super Four.

When I saw the condition that one's still (impossibly) in I nearly went mad and dove into my ISA to buy it. Common sense prevailed, but something about that bike's style just works.

[​IMG]

I need one in my life.

13. RTT

RTT #parp

I passed my test on one of those (grey imported CB-1 400) :)

[​IMG]

Edit: You've posted a pic of a 400, but linked the bigger thou :D Either way, the 400 is a lot of fun

Last edited: 8 May 2014
  14. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

I had the 900f and the 1100f super bol'dor, the older version and bigger version of these.. Still got a picture somewhere I think. Considering getting the CBF1000
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 8 May 2014
    boiled_elephant likes this.
  15. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Just sold my Beat so I have a bit more money to play with. Probably have around £3500 for Gear + Bike + Test Fees + Insurance so was thinking of maybe going direct access for an A2 (currently 21) and a 250 or 400cc. My primary goal is for something fun, and while a 125cc makes sense, I could see it getting dull quickly. I'm also quite keen to do maintenance/work on it myself (especially after seeing a 1980's CB400 Cafe Racer project a couple of weeks ago) although I don't know how much I'd actually end up doing. I'd be happy to work on restoring something as long as I didn't need any particular tools.

Is a 125cc fast enough for whizzing around on or is it worth going directly to something bigger?

16. boiled_elephant

125s (4-strokes, I presume, because 2-strokes sound like angry lawnmowers and are, by all accounts, as easy to control as a starving tiger) are slow and plodding on A roads but fun on B roads. I love taking mine around back lanes - it's fast enough to feel exciting there, getting up to 50 fairly quickly. But 50-60 takes an age; even the more sporty ones can't do more than about 70-75; the tires are skinny; there's usually no faring; the posture usually sucks. So for A-roads, longer distance commuting, overtaking, motorways, sporty cornering, etc. they're useless. The CBR 125 and YZF 125 are said to be a lot of fun (and amazingly do have farings), but 125cc is just really, really underpowered any way you look at it. (edit - plus, those two are expensive for what they are, for that kind of money you might as well get a 250.)

I was frustrated by my CG125 soon after I bought it, but it made me a better rider because I learned to use gears properly, get the most out of a small engine, pay attention to road surface and conditions, learn about good bike gear, learn basic maintenance, make basic mistakes - all the little things that bikers sometimes don't give enough thought when they jump straight onto something bigger (until they crash as a result and learn the hard way). 125s are only a stepping stone, but they teach you loads and I wouldn't skip having one if I were to go back and do it all again. Bear in mind that they resell really easily, are available second-hand in spades, and cost less than bigger bikes of the same age/mileage.

Alternatively, if you trust yourself more than I did, a 250 is pretty much the perfect first bike size for normal transport with a bit of fun. I'm about to graduate to a CBR 250R despite being in the pipeline for a DAS license, because it's a really sweet spot between too little power and too much.

And it has faring. If you can get something with faring, for God's sake, do it. Did I mention how much more pleasant riding is when you have a faring?

Get a bike with a faring. England hates you and will ruin your life with horrible weather.

edit - oh, and if fuel economy is a concern, get as new a bike as possible rather than something big and retro - my CG125 gets 100mpg and the CBR 250R gets 80. A vintage 400 will get half that or less and not go much faster, even if it does look awesome.

Last edited: 9 May 2014
  17. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

This is probably daft advice, but it's always served me well ... 'there's no substitute for cubic capacity'.

Go for the largest engine you can afford - on the basis that you can come down from a top speed, but you can't go up.

18. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I'm quite tempted to get an old CB400 and do it up. Good idea or will it just lie in bits in the garage and never get used?

Or this.

Last edited: 12 May 2014
  19. RTT

RTT #parp

This. Aint no replacement for displacement.

My view on this, for what it's worth, is that if you only ride for fun on the road, a lack of a fairing shouldn't be a deal breaker as a set rule. For commuting i'd probably want one as you're going to find rain/sleet/etc, but otherwise I've no issue with wind buffeting below 100MPH and I don't often hit those speeds on the road for any sustained period of time anyway. £0.02 :)

Last edited: 12 May 2014
  20. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Ah yes, that's the phrase