1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Welcome to the org Novindus!

Yeah, this seemed like a nice opportunity to show it off again :)

2. Parge

Chris Roberts on Oculus Rift and his hollywood background.

3. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I just hope they fill the early stretch goal of having TrackIR support sooner rather than later. They're expending all the effort on Rift, which is still in development, and ignoring mature technologies :(

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

WMH #69

Only 3 episodes left before it's replaced by an almost identical show from the LA office

5. asura

asura jack of all trades

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Well, according to that video, the matchmaking servers are up and ready to go. Bodes well for DFM roll out hopefully next week (starting it, that is)! The shots of them playing in studio also looked a lot stabler, without all the debug text over the screen. Cautiously optimistic at this point.

7. notmeagain

notmeagain Minimodder

Cheers boss!

I have quite a few videos to catch up on...

And why do i need to buy more ships? :) it's a weird compulsion to inject money into the ether :|

8. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Just posted this to the Wingman's Hangar feedback thread:

Bets on how long before it's censored? :D

9. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Little bit about eve online EVE Valkyrie boo hiss :)

read here:
    ttp://massively.joystiq.com/2014/05/09/massivelys-hands-on-with-eve-valkyrie-on-the-oculus-rift-dk2/

10. Parge

Seems a bit unnecessary. He's probably just a man who wanted a job making computer games.

I work for a company 37% owned up Rupert Murdoch, but doesn't mean I endorse phone hacking, or media owners cosying up to the government so they can print whatever they like.

11. VipersGratitude

And the obvious career path for the humble aspiration of making games is to executive produce recruitment propaganda for the US Army?

12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

C'mon, this isn't the place for a politics discussion. It's for AWESOME GAMES.

Getting a bit excited for DFM release. They better be getting a shuffle on - and tomorrow's when we get the date!

13. VipersGratitude

What's your favourite Woody Allen movie?

14. Bede

Bede Minimodder

The trouble I have with space games is similar to when you first drive a car - you're not entirely sure where the sides are, or where the rear bumper is. It seems very easy to get disoriented. Watching the segment of that EVE video with the Valkyrie teaser in it made me appreciate RSI's world design - you can walk around your ships and see them in relation to your human scale, and even walk around in some of them. That's a nice step forwards imo - to really make you a pilot of a ship, not simply a floating camera.

And the prize for self-regarding ignorance goes tooooo.... VipersGratitude! Congrats man. Your wise musings on America's Army will surely cause men and women everywhere to stop playing games with soldiers in. FYI, narrative is key to indoctrination - stop and think how strong the narrative is in AA...

15. VipersGratitude

Yeah, because dismantling militainment is my lofty intention rather than a grossly exaggerated misrepresentation. Firstly, multiplayer games don't require a strong written narrative as there is an emergent narrative from playing with others who had gone through the same compulsory training. Secondly, I'm not saying it is an indoctrination device, but gives a skewed presentation of military service to kids.

It was developed to address a missed recruitment quota. A Fort Benning survey showed that 60% of trainees played the game often, 4% of which stated they were there specifically because of the game. The game has also been used in high schools for years under the guise of promoting STEM fields, despite the fact that violates the UN protocol.

Why bring it up? Because I find the motivations behind the development of AA disgusting. I'm quite disgusted with RSI for condoning it by hiring Mayberry to execute the same role.

16. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Oi, I said stop!

DFM date on today's weekly update? THAT'S WHAT WAS PROMISED.

17. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

@VipersGratitude

SC will have politics, and has already been defined that serving in the UEE will grant citizenship - as it's not automatic. I'd think it best to wait before passing judgement on whether or not on whatever.

Cei because of above citizenship policies, I don't think it would be appropriate to deny politics discussions.

18. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

The proposed date for the announcement of the slipped DFM release date has slipped ;)

I keep checking the RSI site for the weekly update every hour at the moment :)

19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

So...

20. Parge

I think Cei really meant, try to keep on topic. Which we appear to be! So anyway......................

DFM DFM DFM DFM DFM DFM!