1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL A personal milestone in computing

Discussion in 'General' started by Cthippo, 20 May 2014.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

So, the G/F and I were cleaning out the random cords drawer and I needed another box for patch cables.

So I threw away all my telco cables.

Clearly a milestone has been passed when an entire type of cable becomes redundant and can be tossed without worry. We bot use cell phones exclusively, no one has a modem anymore and they've just become redundant.

It's the little things that make you realize how far technology has progressed.

2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Not here that haven't, got a landline (POTS) and my broadband goes through the telephone line.

If you don't have cable, it'll stay around for a while longer. ;)

3. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I ran a telephone extension cable only this weekend, I'll keep all my telephone stuff too.

I know what you mean though, if I could do without a landline I would, but out here in the sticks we are lucky to get GPRS mobile coverage, I get HSDPA if I hold my phone against the wall at work, and only 1 bar of it. I hear rumours of something called 4g and FTTC but alas, it is only a rumour in these parts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

4. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Cable rule 1 is throw a cable out somewhere down the line you will need it again.

Happens every time I clear my hoard of cables!

5. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

The first rule of cable club is... Anyhow just don't chuck them out, my loft has almost 2 large bags full, a large box in the shed, a bag at work, plus a storage box in the office. Because you never know when you may need an o2 xda dock or 2, palm zire charger or a choice of random phone cables.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

The definition of Junk:

Something you keep in the loft or shed for years and eventually throw out, two weeks before you need it. :lol:

7. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

This makes sense. Perhaps this is why my loft has dozens of Socket A and 478 motherboards lined up in it.

:idea:

If I throw them out, in two weeks time AMD will announce a new type of incredibly powerful gaming APU that exclusively works on old, cheap socket A motherboards...

8. David

Yep, socket A boards will become hugely sought after and worth a small fortune. :lol:

A bit like the two IBM Model M (I think) keyboards I threw in the skip before I moved to the island four and a half years ago. :duh:

9. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Or it could be that you're just an old hoarder.........:p

10. David

IFTFY :lol:

11. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Oh, I think that's a given.

12. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

I'm pretty sure I could bury a large human under a cable mountain with the sheer number that I have. They're all organised though; I could go and put my hand on any cable that I need in the workshop at home or either store in school.

Case in point; My main IT store in school. Three walls of this:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 21 May 2014
  13. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I'm impressed at the level of organization for your cables, Unicorn! I wonder if that long VGA cable will ever find a new use.

14. Unicorn

I use the long VGA cables on a regular basis in school! The input point for the ceiling projector in our main event hall is off to one side and lots of people who use the hall like to present from laptops at the front of the room, so I run a cable over to a desk from the wall. It's not what I'd be doing because there's a very high spec, reliable presenter PC over at the wall point with a remote, wireless keyboard and mouse, but I'm not there to argue :)

What's in that picture is roughly 1/4 of the total cables that I have in school. The workshop at home doesn't have quite as many, but what it lacks in cables it more than makes up for in other stuff :lol:

Last edited: 22 May 2014
  15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The cable types i've binned and i hope i never see again - floppy disk and IDE ribbon cables...

16. Unicorn

Ribbon cables can be butchered and re-used for many different things, so I've still got a big box of them!