1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL Finally Done It Myself

Discussion in 'General' started by Kronos, 23 May 2014.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Had a repair job in the bathroom that I could not figure out how to sort. What had happened was someone had kicked and broken part of the floor plate surrounding the shower cubical. It looked like Formica type stuff and I was really at a loss as to how to repair it. So it has been in the 'planning' stage for 10+ years. But finally this week I reached a solution and after a final lick of paint the job will at last be sorted.

Anyone else have jobs that you, for one reason or another, have never got around to doing?

2. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

Oh yes, but I think Bit-tech would need to acquire bigger servers in order for me to be able to list them all.

Just one as an example: kitchen tiles - bought and started the job over two years ago.

3. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I tend to finish most things DIY, though I'm sure if you asked my wife she'd disagree and come up with a huge list.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

4. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Kitchen tiles is one for me also. Gloss paint is also the worst job imaginable.

5. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I find redecorating rooms the worst thing. My bedroom took years to complete. I hate stripping wallpaper and paint, I'd far rather tile a room than paint one, tiling is easy.

6. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I got a load done last summer. Still loads to do though, like brush the window frames and get them all painted. I might have to ask for help as I'm terrified going up ladders. I also need a load of paving slabs to re-do part of my back garden.

7. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

We Moved in about 7 years ago, moved a load of boxes into a spare room on the day we moved in still haven't unpacked them.

Brought the paint etc to re-decorate about 5 years ago one room got done and one wall of a second room got a first coat that's as far as it got.

I did manage to fully shelf out the study though but that was mainly because I was sick and tired of not having anywhere to put my books.

8. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Surely if you have lasted seven years without the contents of those boxes you should just throw them out.

9. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

you sound like my stepdad, he ripped out my bathroom and never replaced it ( so 5 years of living without a shower )

now he is out of the picture we are likely going to have to find a proffesional to finish it or replace the whole bathroom. Needs new tiles, new floor, new bath, shower, extractor fan...you name it, it needs doing

and there was nothing wrong with it to begin with, he only hated it as my real father installed it

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:lol: The jobs I've put off were because multiple other jobs came up that took priority.
    I've had ceiling trim boards laying around cut and painted waiting for 10 years now. Cleaning the garage is not something I can't get to, I just can't win against the constant in flow of appliances and building materials.

11. Ryu_ookami

I probably could probably scrap most of them but some of them are full of things that are kept ther4e safe for sentimental reasons. things that we want to keep but not necessary have out.

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

The job is now sorted.
    Stripped the piece out, used a nice bit of old shelving cut to size with a length of iron on edging, whole thing was then painted and when dry, mastic'ed in place and it looks good a very neat job. I am dead chuffed.

All I need to do now is learn to plaster as the kitchen is in dire need of a complete refurbishment and walls and ceiling need to be redone.

13. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I took evening classes at college to learn how to plaster. Skimming walls is quite easy and shouldn't take long to get the hang of. There are plenty of YouTube tutorials but they're no substitute for proper practical lessons.

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Cheers mate but unfortunately I posted with my tongue firmly in my cheek. I am not physically able to do that sort of manual work nowadays. Little jobs no problem and there are many to do. But kitchen refurb is a job more suited to professionals.

15. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Like Porkins' my list is too long to post, but my biggest one is completing the overhaul of telephone and network wiring in the house. I need about a month to do it the way it needs to be done, not to mention a lot of cable. I made a start to it two years ago and am hoping to get it finished by the end of this year.

Last edited: 24 May 2014
  16. gravgen3rd

gravgen3rd What's a Dremel?

Yes. I wanted to write a book. But I just can't get myself to start :wallbash:

17. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

When I'm faced with doing something challenging, I find it important just to get something down. It doesn't really matter what. Just bits that you know or have a loose idea of, that's related to what your doing.

Typically what you put down first won't make it to the end but it always starts the process. If you wait till you have everything in your head exactly the way it needs to be you'll never actually start.

Also you don't need to start at the start. Start anywhere.

My perspective is from writing technical documents. But surely the same applies to creative writing.

18. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

So far this year I've knocked the wall between the two upstairs front rooms out and converted it into a glass studio / general machine shop, almost finished that now.

Next I'm moving the upstairs bathroom to a different room and refitting what is the bathroom ATM to be a bedroom it's to big for a bathroom and has great views a real waste as a bathroom

Then I'm going to have the wall between the front and living room downstairs removed and fit the front room out as the kitchen that way the workshop and kitchen overlooks the road and all the other rooms has a view of the fields and mountains.

Lot's of work and money but will be a nice place when done :thumb:

G0UDG likes this.
  19. Ryu_ookami

Just start writing forget about grammar and editing for a day or two. Just sit at the keyboard and type, it doesn't matter what you type just get into the habit and you'll soon be writing every day.

Also note cards I can't recommend note cards highly enough. Once you start to write you'll soon start to plot out your story this is where note cards are a god send as you'll be able to write a general note on a scene on a card and then start to rearrange them so that you can find the best place for a scene.

Again note cards for character notes and ideas. There's nothing worse than writing a character getting 3/4 quarters of the way through the story and then realising that you've changed his or her - height or hair colour, or martial status or age, etc - and then having to go back and change it.