1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Z97 mITX

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Redbeaver, 8 May 2014.

1. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

Sup folks.

As you can see on my sig, I got one aging system (Q6600 + P35). Furthermore, I'm using a huge ass Temjin case that's really super heavy and filling up space.

So, as the tax return season is upon us, and I'm planning to move in July, the wife have approved a budget for CPU upgrade (first time in 5 years), *WITH THE CONDITION* that it has to be "small and can be hidden in a desk".

So I've always wanted to build an mITX system anyway, so it's perfect. And with a slew of Z97 boards coming out, I know it's the chipset of choice.

The questions I have though:
    1. What's the big difference between Z97 and Z87? Is it only in the CPU generation they supported? Mainly?
    2. Should I wait until the next 5th generation (is that Haswell? No....) is out or whatever, or just grab the current i5 and overclock.
    3. Which/what DDR3 memory do you recommend?
    4. Which/what CPU cooling system do you recommend for mITX? all-in-one water for space? Big honking air? I am planning to do some "modest" overclock in order for it to last as long as my Q6600...

Thanks, folks! :rock:

2. Redbeaver

Bump. Nobody can recommend if I should hold up for the next chipset or CPU, or just blow it on Z97 and 4th gen i5?

3. rici1241

rici1241 Minimodder

Z97 supports m.2 and SATA express interfaces. From what I can tell, that is the only difference between it and Z87. Its also rumoured to support broadwell, but you will be waiting a while before there is any real info on this. Broadwell is the die shrink of haswell, with probably slightly improved graphics again. Consider it as what Ivy-bridge is to Sandy-bridge. It should be the 5th generation ones, as the new Haswell processors are just refreshes with 100-200mhz extra. The unlocked ones will have a better TIM, but I'm not too sure when they are out.

Any cheap DDR3 kit should do. At a minimum, I'd go for 1600mhz, but 1866 and 2133 can be got for just a small amount extra. The speed might show small improvements, but I would personally look at capacity before speed.

Cooling really depends on which case you go for. If the case supports a 120mm radiator, then something like a corsair h60 or h80 would probably be the best. If its a fairly slim case, you will have to look into low profile coolers, which will limit your cooling a bit.

4. Redbeaver

Thank you!

Looks like it's safe to pick one up today. Hopefully Broadwell is in same form factor... but im not worried with graphic. i'll only be sticking a single 660Ti on it.

And i'm looking at the Silverstone Fortress FT03 case. i think they should fit an H60.

5. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I'm a big fan of the Corsair 250d, its a fantastically versatile mitx case, well worth a look.

also, it terms of size, I dont think the hadron air can be beat.

6. jopers1986

jopers1986 Minimodder

Agreed, just got myself a 250d and have a h80 in the front. Looks good on the web, but even better in person!

The z97 boards also seem to be a lot more reasonably priced than when z87 came out! Gigabyte Gaming is around £120! the MSI z87i gaming is more than that!!!

7. Redbeaver

Oooh there's a new article on mITX previews and full reviews coming too! :)

Feel like going with cheap MSI ones altho might spend extra money on ASUS for m.2... not sure at this point if it's worth it, or even worth future-proofing for.

And yes, I've seen the Corsaid case but I think it's not quite my taste.... will most likely get the H80 though.

@jopers: xp2500+ @2.5Ghz, oh wow that brings back memories lol... I love that chip. And DFI board on the other system. Dude, /high_five!

8. Redbeaver

Alright, somebody help me decide:

ASUS Z97I-Plus: http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-z97i-plus-itx-lga1150-ddr3-60-97024.htm
    + ASUS stability and reliability
    + great BIOS
    + M2
    + nice clearing
    - only 4 SATA ports (dont really mind actually)
    CAD $180

--- or ---

ASROCK: http://www.ncix.com/detail/asrock-z97e-itx-ac-lga1150-mini-itx-2xddr3-47-97203.htm
    + cheaper
    + M2 *and* SATA EXPRESS
    + 6x SATA
    - ASROCK? Never used their board. How good are they?
    - blue... i'm more of a red kinda guy...
    CAD $160 (with $30 Mail In Rebate)

What do you guys think?

Also, anything specific to look for, for RAM? Price? Speed? Lat?

PS: Yes, i'm getting the Corsaid 250D as well as H80i since they're on sale. /excited! with i5 4670K. $800 coming down the pipe soon. thank God for Canadian tax returns...

9. MightyBenihana

I would wait it out to see wait the new Asus impact offers (if only for the better sound available from it). It should be out fairly soon I would guess.

As for RAM height won't be a problem with that cooler (unless you plan to change coolers and keep the RAM at some point). 1600Mhz is the sweet spot for performance. If you are only really gaming the *GB is more than enough, if you are doing video /photo work then get as much as you can.

The corsair dominator platinum stuff is really nice but expensive and you won't see any performance gain. RAM is quite expensive generally atm but I have this http://www.scan.co.uk/products/8gb-...pc3-12800-(1600)-non-ecc-cas-9-9-9-24-xmp-15v and I have zero complaints.

Also the 250d was designed with the H100i in mind, so that might be worth a look.

Last edited: 21 May 2014
  10. Redbeaver

ASUS Impact will be upwards of CAD $250... so unless it has some solid benefit, i'm not spending the difference. Just the sound quality? No thanks. I got a 2yr old at home so late night gaming will be served with a cheap headset.....

by *GB i'm assuming you mean 8GB :) thanks! I have a feeling that should be enough indeed. I just play games and do the occasional work stuff. Microsoft Office stuff.

Oh, so 250D can fit H100i?

Hmm...................

I'm just happy it can hold my full size Corsair HX 650.

11. MightyBenihana

yeah, I meant 8GB, shift error, normally I catch them.

12. Redbeaver

Done. I'm getting the ASUS. No H80i yet though.... trying to save my budget for this month. Next month... perhaps... then I'd probably go with H100i.

Couple of Mushkin sticks, 250D case, i5 4670K, and the Z97i.

Will post once things once I got the stuff and depending on weather, I'll start a mod project.

13. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

An interesting thing you can consider with the M.2 Slot is not having any internal drives at all in your case. I don't know what your budget is, but someday (when I have some cash on hand) I plan on using a 500GB M.2 SATA drive and not having any other SSDs or HDDs inside my case. The best cable management... no cables at all! (With a modular PSU of course). Then using either a NAS or USB3.0 or eSATA external drive for storage. That could definitely influence your case choice if you plan to go that route. I'm thinking something along those lines in order to fit a watercooling loop inside my case.

14. MSHunter

MSHunter Minimodder

Need a pair of Headphones? the HD 202s are amazing @ £30.
    the Bitfenix prodigy is really easy to use with a H60/80 and is very easy to install compared to many other ITX cases but that is because it relatively big (mATX) size.

It has enough mounts to run a H100 and a Kraken GPU AIO cooler :D

15. Redbeaver

something to consider indeed.

i didnt even kno anyone selling those M2 drive at all! i do have a NAS for other storage which works great.

i did got the 250D case. saw the prodigy but i suppose it's just a matter of taste.

my dilemma now is between H100i ($120) or Swiftech H220 ($120 - usually $150).... or just stay cheap and grab H80i next month for $90. (biggest consideration is no hassle - i want something i can set and forget)(...for the next few years)

or stick with stock cooler for the next few months until somebody release a new AIO.

16. MightyBenihana

I don't know if this matters but the swifttech rad is 2mm wider, the h100i is 27mm wide and can already be a tight fit on some motherboards.

17. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

FTFY

Scan, Overclockers and even amazon sell M.2 drives. I assume from your currency that you're canadian. NCIX and your canadian amazon sell M.2 120GB SSDs for about 50-60 CAD.

Last edited: 25 May 2014
  18. Redbeaver

mmm u mean the case?

yeah im curious if H220 can fit the 250D case just fine, and/or at what cost...

mind.****in.blown.

i need to get off these father/household/job thing and get back to catching up with the news!

thanks!

19. Redbeaver

20. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Do not get the Asrock if you're planning on using an M.2. SSD. The Asrock board only accepts 32 and 40mm long M.2, while the Asus Z87I-Plus takes 60/80mm M.2. (more common size).

This Plextor will only fit the Asus. Looking at the specification, its form factor is : M.2 2280-D5-B-M. 2280 means 22mm wide (standart) and 80mm long. B-M means it will fit both B or M M.2. socket type

[​IMG]

[​IMG]