1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Sums it up pretty well.

I wouldn't blame you for that one though. My mother has done something similar (from the car's perspective) where she was flashed out of a junction and was T-boned by a biker (not particularly serious) and she's by no means a bad driver so just goes to show.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  2. RTT

RTT #parp

Ah, yes. Definitely. Inline for me too, for a sports bike, given the choice and having had a 1198. I'd dearly love an 899 panigale but twins just don't seem to do it for me when packaged up to be sporty. :sigh:

3. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

That's more or less how I ride at the moment. It can be summed up with Murphy's Law: Everything that can go wrong, will go wrong. I try to think about everything that could go wrong, which means sometimes I break the speed limit and have fun and sometimes I'm doing half the legal speed limit because there're possibilities I wouldn't be able to compensate for going any faster.

It works pretty well, but it's miserable thinking too, because there are so many things that could instantly kill us that we can't do anything about:

- burst front tire or snapped chain at high speed
    - any mechanical failure in a fast corner
    - oncoming vehicles losing control and veering into your lane
    - losing traction on a left corner and sliding into oncoming traffic
    - falling tree branches
    - pheasants, deer, sheep, cows, goats, geese, and all other adorable, suicidal wildlife

There's just no way to ride without risking these things. I think this is why I like the Isle of Man TT: at least those guys have no illusions about how much danger they're putting themselves in. We all try not to think about it and hope/pretend that a lowside on a left-hand bend into oncoming traffic wouldn't happen or wouldn't be game over...

(edit - this all applies to cars and bicycles as well, of course, it's not a downside to motorbikes per se. Most car drivers, especially young drivers of both genders, seem immune to the reality of what could happen in an oncoming 70mph crash, as though their airbag can defeat the laws of physics, while a lot of cyclists are so used to never falling off that they forget what falling 8' onto concrete could do to you and decide they're too cool for helmets. My mum was hospitalized and comatose for two weeks after falling off a bicycle without one.)

[/doom and gloom]

edit -
    Words cannot express my jealousy right now. Both of the bike and of the spare funds needed to buy one.

Last edited: 24 May 2014
  4. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Maybe not, but, with this accident, it was during rush hour, on a road I didn't know. maybe those circumstances could be contributing.

You're right. I did bikesafe 2 weeks before this accident, thought I'd learned a lot about survival skills, but maybe not. On the bikesafe they were keen to stress the most common type of accident; the right turn violation, which is exactly what this was.

Too right, could have been avoided. Funnily enough, I've met 'PicklePoo' irl, in fact she lives just down the road from me. Best thing to do is to learn from our mistakes.

5. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Wondering what you were on about when you said "PicklePoo" until I watched the video :p.

When I watched PP and Angrys Vlogs for the first time I was like "I know that shop, that's strange the roads seem awfully familiar and that house he passed looks a lot like mine". Took me a few days to realise, when I watched him picking up his new bike from the store I was picking mine up from lol.

You can't be too far away from my Dodo, perhaps when you decide to stop get physically imitate with the 4 wheeled variety we should have journey to a nice cafe. :p

6. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

My nephew's just bought himself a Gixer 750 SRAD in great condition for £1200. Blimey.

This makes me want a bike again.

7. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Excellent machine - many regard it as the perfect combination of power and handling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Maybe we should! Waltham Abbey ring any bells?

9. RTT

RTT #parp

Great to look at in the garage but so utterly, ridiculously brutally unrefined that it was pointless to have for the road, and as a result just wasn't that nice to own day-to-day. Shame, it was an S, too :sigh:

10. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Of course! I'm in Romford at the moment. Google maps states 22 minutes (so roughly 16 by bike) :p

11. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

YES! :D My dream bike at the moment, though I am unashamedly a V-Twin fanboy. Fell in love with torque and not having to change gear between corners half as much! Sadly I don't think I'll ever afford one, much as I'd love one. :(

(Never want to get rid of my SV though... First love and all!) :)

EDIT: How about that Bit-Tech meet up sometime soon? I'm free for the whole summer now and it'd be great to meet you guys somewhere. :)

EDIT 2: Anyone keeping an eye on the TT? Most exciting weeks of the year for biking personally. Love the madness of those guys and would love to ride half as well as they can!!!

Last edited: 27 May 2014
  12. RTT

RTT #parp

Yes we should sort this out! Next weekend perhaps at Loomie's? I should be around, and assuming it's dry

Sure am. Usually glued to the coverage during the TT weeks

13. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Yeah. Next weekend if it's dry sounds good for me, though I can only really do Saturday I think. :( But I am free any time during the week and the following weekends (Sunday afternoons). Well up for a trip to Loomies and beyond. :)

14. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Anyone been following this series?

Azeroth Choppers is a weekly web series by Blizzard Entertainment, featuring Paul Teutul, Jr. (American Chopper) and his company Paul Jr. Designs building motorcycles based on Blizzard's long-running MMORPG World of Warcraft and the first episode was shown on April 17.

TT will be interesting with Michael Dunlop on a BMW, I'm a big fan of his and I doubt anyone pushes harder than him and it's great to see Norton at the TT again with Cameron Donald.

15. RTT

RTT #parp

Alrighty, pencilled into my calendar then, depending on weather! Anyone else?

Last edited: 28 May 2014
  16. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Not available till June 21st now I'm afraid :/

17. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Does anyone have any good literature on motorcycle cornering physics?

18. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Cool. What time do we want to meet? Late morning for a Loomies burger lunch (triple cheeseburger anyone?!) or after? I don't mind. I just need to be back around 6 or so. I'm trying to persuade a couple of mates of mine to come along. Might have persuaded one; army guy who rides a stage 2 dynojet Bandit 1200. That thing goes like stink! :D

RAM

19. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Ain't it amazing, the TT races are the most unique bike races in the world attracting 10'000's of people from all over the world and takes over a whole island for a fortnight yet it doesn't even make the English sports news on TV, I watched BBC and sky news tonight and it wasn't mentioned, course it would be a different story if a rider had a fatal accident or hit some spectators :miffed:

Dunlop was spectacular on the BMW and the enigma that is Bruce Anstey seemed to wake up on the last few laps and set a new 132 mph lap record, stunning :rock:

20. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

It's been dynojetted, over 140 horses at the back wheel according to the graphs apparently. He's told me I can take it out for a spin anytime. I mustn't... I shouldn't... but I want to. :naughty: