1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Battlefield 4 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by sotu1, 15 Mar 2013.

1. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Yes Greg, BF4 is... horrendous. Aside from completely agreeing with you on what you said, there are no strong positions on maps (DICE went overboard on the cluster**** happy design), and I feel afflicted with an "issue" of de-sync often:

2. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

3. droyden

droyden What's a Dremel?

thanks i signed up

4. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Next Battlefield called Hardline. Not made by DICE if it's correct.

Wooo.....

5. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

First I find out that BF2 is getting switched off at the end of next month.

Now this.

It's like watching my dog die again.

6. loftie

loftie Multimodder

More info.

Done by Visceral Games and is set to be released this autumn. I wonder if DICE aren't doing it because they said they'd fix BF4 before doing anything else, or if EA just want to mix it up. Either way, unimpressed.

7. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

This is a tragedy! :duh:

8. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Just when I was considering dropping myself back in to the mix, everything gets thrown up in the air.
    Gotta love EA. :/

Teelzebub and YEHBABY like this.
  9. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Hi Digi.

inc patch:

As I've explained before, server and client always run at 30hz, client to server updates were made at 30hz, and server to client updates were at 10hz. (imposed bandwidth constraints)

"High Frequency Bubble" is the server sending updates at a selectable rate (high is 30hz) for things inside a radius of you.

Re: Hardline

When was Visceral games last game, how long does it to skin a game and make some maps? I'm not thinking anything about it until I've heard something from someone I can trust.

10. fix-the-spade

My suspicion is that this is the next Medal of Honor game and since Doorfighter tanked so spectacularly they've slapped Battlefield branding on it so nobody notices and changed Terrorists to Organised Crime.

11. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Crappy as it was overall, Warfighter had some really good mechanics in it. Just a shame that the level design was on par with games from the early noughties for the original xbox.

12. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Probably not though.
    http://blogs.battlefield.com/2014/05/bf-hardline-coming-this-fall/

13. fix-the-spade

Serious question now, why would or should anyone believe a single word ever spoken by anyone employed by EA or an EA subsidiary?

Practically every public statement they make about a game's features or content is a half truth at best or blatant lies at worst, why would a statement like that buck the trend?

14. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

CTE?

15. loftie

loftie Multimodder

You're not the first person I've seen think this, and it could well be true. I've never actually played a MoH game, so I don't know what the differences between the series are.

I agree with Jester though, it's not 'hard' to skin a few things and make some new maps. And if they do SP right, it'd be a first for BF. My issue is still that, if it comes out in autumn, it's too soon for a BF game, even if it's a MoH game, and will leave a bitter taste.

What's odd is the leak supposedly showed a carrier assault mode. Not sure how they'd do that for police v criminals.

Edit:SimCity, doesn't work offline. Can't handle outside the regions. 2 examples i can think of.

Last edited: 28 May 2014
    Teelzebub likes this.
  16. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

17. fix-the-spade

I put that in the half truth category. For all DICE's talk of community and customer value, the real reason it's around is because EA has a lot of money riding on Frostbite 3 games in the next two years. They can't have Battlefront having a launch like BF4 as Disney will want to know why (and has the power to take the Star Wars license away from EA if it feels EA isn't doing it justice, that'll do more than knock a few dollars off the share price).

That it benefits BF4 will be a happy coincidence, even ignoring that this should have existed six months before release, not six months after.

18. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

I think BF4 has been a success for EA, seeing as more people are playing it than BF3. It appears only a minority think there are problems with the game, plus most gamers just care about eyecandy and not gameplay.

19. fix-the-spade

I think BF4 has been a kick up the arse for EA.

More PC players are on BF3 to the tune of about 5'000 to 20'000 over BF4 depending on the time of day (right now it's something like 40k 33.5k respectively).
    The console versions are tracking a lot more players, but the way EA handles online for consoles that's not a surprise.

I wouldn't call lower first week sales and a much faster tailing off in subsequent weeks a success either. I'd call sales figures just over 50% of the prequel after ten weeks a total disaster (that's including the PS4 and Xbone versions too, like for like PC/PS3/360 sales are even worse). I very much doubt BF4 will ever approach the 15million-ish that BF3 is rumoured to have sold.

20. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Right now BF3 is free.