1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Watch Dogs Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 30 May 2014.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

After reading other reviews I am not surprised here and certainly glad that I hadn't bought it on pre-order. I may buy it at some point in the future when it is cheap but for right now, I'd rather carry on waiting for GTA V to come to PC.

3. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

Good review, the only thing i'd disagree with is the chasing mechanics. I found them to be rather bland, in the way that its very difficult to lose the police WITHOUT using your phone, yet as soon as you do they immediately crash into everything and thats you away pretty much free. Also, i was hoping for some sort of graphics comparison

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Exactly what I expected it to be - and a very entertaining review to sum it all up. As someone who could take or leave GTA4 and Sleeping Dogs, I will not play this until I can pick it up for less than a fiver.

Hopefully by that point it will be slightly more patched up, since although the review doesn't touch on optimisation I have read from numerous sources about how ****ed it is at the moment.

5. bigc90210

bigc90210 Teh C

Actually dude, in comparison to this, i found sleeping dogs to be much better! especially in terms of fighting mechanics etc. This is defo more of a bargain bin buy than a AAA £40 title.

6. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

I was upset when two days after buying a Nvidia 760 with a free copy of Daylight, the free copy of Watchdogs offer was announced, I even thought about returning my card for a refund and buying another one with the new offer, but in the end I couldn't be arsed.

After reading this, I'm no longer upset on missing out and glad I didn't do the (slightly) disreputable thing of returning the GPU.

7. matee

matee What's a Dremel?

Nice review.
    This is what I thought of the game
    10 mins: what a disappointment its a driving game (not a good one too)
    1h: ok this is growing on me
    2h: this is fun
    3h+: booooring. why the hell did I preorder? should I cancel my Destiny preorder?

Kinda wished I went for Wolfenstein, that would have been more fun I guess.

8. rollo

rollo Modder

One of the few sub 8+ 80% reviews I've seen in truth, game has flaws anyone expecting ground breaking stuff will be disappointed, then again ubisofts last ground breaking game was the original Ass Creed.

Would of liked to see some graphic comparisons.

9. vajoiner

vajoiner What's a Dremel?

racing around 'is' really fun but running into a telephone pole at 20mph an having it cleanly snap at the base like it was cut through with a laser is mildly annoying. are the poles of the future made of balsa?
    also, failing a mini game freaking 10 rounds into it is.. massively annoying.

10. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Not just balsa, but pre-sawed balsa held together by a few strands. That way even if you walk into it it shears cleanly at the base.

Knowledge is power.

11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Fun fact: modern street furniture is specifically designed to shear cleanly at the base. This is normally achieved by creating the device in two halves: a chunk that goes into the ground, and the bit that remains on top. These are then bolted together in such a way that they're perfectly secure while swaying around in the wind, but if something causes a shearing force - such as the above-ground bit being hit by a car, for example - the bolts will split, allowing the top part to be pushed harmlessly out of the way. Old wooden telegraph poles, not so much - but if you take a look at a modern set of streetlights, traffic lights or road signs, you'll see that they're 'hovering' above the ground and are supported by four or more bolts for exactly this reason. This company calls the design a "breakaway 'H' base," but I don't know whether that's a universal term or not.

Interesting, eh?

12. dolphin-promotions

dolphin-promotions What's a Dremel?

The game is plagued with technical problems. I couldn't install from CD, then had to update my graphics drivers, and now I am lucky if it lasts 30 minutes before completely crashing. I have tried several of the recommended fixes with little/no luck. I think it is affecting AMD cards the worst.

Really disappointed.

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Or falls backwards onto the car that just hit it, not that doing that is any different than what happens with ye olde style of lampposts.

Hitting lampposts in a virtual game world is wayyy more fun than when it happens in RL :D

14. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

For the people asking for graphics comparisons, it's something I did try to organise in time for the launch, but I was unable to source a review code sadly. It's still something I'd like to do, but for now it's on the backburner, what with Computex starting on Monday and me being away shortly after. Those features take a long time to put together, so I don't want to make any promises, but your calls have not got unheard :)

15. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

A lamppost isn't heavy enough to do any significant¹ damage to the car if it topples on top - especially compared to the damage it would do if it were rigid in the ground and you drove into it. At speed, it will also fall over the car rather than on the car.

Now, if you want really clever street furniture, have a look at the lampposts that have hinges on 'em. Lets you replace the bulb without needing a cherry picker (or, for the old-fashioned, a ladder), or lower 'em so that a wide load - such as an aircraft - can pass down a dual carriageway without knocking 'em all down.

I love the engineering that goes into stuff we just see every day without a second thought. It's acebest!

It's also completely off-topic, so I'm going to shut up now. GO ENGINEERING!

1: I should clarify, here, that it'll ruin the car; I just mean it's not going to crush it and kill the occupants, which is the sort of thing you're designing against here.

Last edited: 30 May 2014
  16. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

Well I got this free with the nVidia offer. I've only played for a couple of hours, but it took me almost 3 hours to play for this long due to Uplay login issues, failing to synch to cloud etc.

Once I eventually got into the game, I set it up for bevel adjusted 5760x1080 and wished I hadn't.
    I don't know what it was doing, but everything seemed unbelievably close up. When I tried to use the G button to bring up the stored gadgets, it was also massive and went off the screen at the top and the bottom. It was an awful experience.

Once I'd changed it back to single screen (and got Uplay to login again) it ran really well.
    I'll be interested to see if the review holds for me too. I'm in the just get using to things and enjoying phase; I do hope I don't find the rest of it a grind.

17. ya93sin

ya93sin What's a Dremel?

The driving is more arcadey than in Saints Row, now that's saying something.

Maybe when they release a mod for that the driving will be bearable.

Mafia II with the realism mode had the best feel in my opinion.

18. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Looks and sounds like it could have been much more, the control given with the phone hacking had a lot of promise. Maybe a sequel or GTA VI can filter the crap, and add to what is original

19. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

Apart from the what now seems to be usual online and logging in problems that paying customers(but not pirates) seem to get, I have enjoyed the game so far. I am really enjoying the 1 vs 1 hacking, when it actually works and finds me a match. It is kind of hard to hack a player to 100% but I have managed it once, other times I have managed to escape using the phone to hack traffic lights, blockers ect.
    THe single player game is a bit boring, I only really do the online stuff now. I don't expect to be playing the game for long, probably a month at most, but I enjoy it more than a lot of other games I have bought recently.

Personally I think your score is a bit harsh, but I can see that Ubisoft gave us massive expectations for this game that didnt really deliver, the gfx in the 2012 demo were far superior to the Ultra settings that I get on my 9 month old top of the range PC, so I was dissapointed to see that dumbed down alot.

20. ArthurB

ArthurB What's a Dremel?

Definitely! The game Ubisoft showed off at E3 2012 looked so much better than what was eventually released (as the video below demonstrates). :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_A6Z3gkXlk

The screenshots in Bit-tech's review make the game look like it was designed primarily for the last gen consoles (Xbox 360 / PS3) and the PC version was just an afterthought.

Tags: Add Tags