1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Noob steam question :D

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Mr Meltdown, 4 Jun 2014.

1. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

Never had a steam account, as used consoles since about 2002 LOL...

If I buy DayZ standalone game on my laptop and it gets downloaded to my laptop, is it locked to my laptop (which will be unable to play it as it has intel hd3000 graphics LOL) or can i move it to my gaming rig without rights issues?

Obviously i could purchase and download it to the rig, but i hardly ever use it as i use my laptop 99% of the time.

God what a noob...:lol:

2. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

No it's not locked to one pc.

My kids reguarly log into my steam account from their pc's to play games I have.

3. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

thanks,

I'm guessing it's locked to the steam account then right? I dont have a steam account yet either.

I would now also guess i need a steam account 1st before buying the game? (or have to create one during purchase).

4. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

If you download it on the laptop you probably won't be able to move it across to the desktop, but you can download it wherever you log into your account, regardless of where you were when you bought it.

So you can buy it on your laptop, then log into steam on your desktop and download it to play it.
    If you try just copying files you may have issues with missing registry entires etc.

5. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

No need to download twice just use steams in built backup system, works pefectly.

Any game I purchase with intent to play later I download, back up and then delete from my steam folder so that I can restore it when needed, my broadband is too slow to keep downloading stuff though.

...and yes you will need to register for a steam account.

6. Mr Meltdown

Mr Meltdown Minimodder

Thanks chaps, just didnt want to make a stupid mistake and find I'd wasted my money by having it locked to the laptop.

7. Retro_Gamer

Retro_Gamer Minimodder

Just make sure when you install Steam on each of your systems that you enable Steam Guard, this protects you by emailing you whenever your Steam account is logged into from another system. Also use a different password for Steam to the email address you register your account with.

Recently In Home Streaming is available on Steam provided you have half decent specs and decent bandwidth on your wireless connections. You can use home plugs with this service which makes the service run better. Essentially you can have it installed on your lappy but when you want to play it on your desktop you can Stream it there instead of having to install it, understandably to do this your laptop will have to be on and Steam logged in. You can't lock the laptop screen though as if you do the service doesn't work.