1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Scan overclocks Pentium G3258 to 4.5GHz

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 5 Jun 2014.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Shouldn't that be in not i

Scan has succeeded i overclocking Intel's new Pentium G3258 from 3.2GHz to 4.5GHz

3. Combatus

Indeed it should. You'd think I'd spot it in bold wouldn't you? :sigh:

4. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

This chip is going to fly off the shelves.

5. Deders

Deders Modder

Those charts look oddly GPU limited, I expect if they benchmarked in the multiplayer where CPU grunt is needed more the results would be more varied.

Still a great result for the price.

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

7. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

Burn.

8. Combatus

Yep, they probably are although it basically points to you not needing anything faster if you're using up to a GTX 770. There's always going to be a difference between single and multiplayer testing too but the latter is practically impossible to test repeatably.

9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I'd have liked to have seen the results for the G3258 at stock speed, to compare against the overclocked result. As it stands, we know that Scan have managed to get a G3258 from 3.2GHz to 4.5GHz, but we don't know what actual impact that overclock has on performance, which seems a little bit pointless.

10. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

+1 with that.. Bit-tech review? It seems it may be worth swapping my i3-4130 for one of these..?

11. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

was that BF4 multiplayer? nope, not looking at those results - try MP and you`ll be in for a different numbers game

12. Combatus

As soon as we get our mits on one yes - we're hoping review samples will be with us soon. So long as you have a Z87 or Z97 board then yes, it's potentially faster than a Core i3-4130 but I'd wait for the review of course to see the whole picture ;)

13. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Try running a scientifically sound, repeatable and comparable benchmark run on a multiplayer server where the results are as much dependant on the other (human) players as on the fact it is multiplayer...

14. Deders

Deders Modder

True, but the Single player isn't exactly CPU heavy.

15. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

From the 3XS Site..
    Here's hoping that carries across the board! Could be THE perfect budget gaming chip! (Well, at least for the next few years untill everything turns heavily multi-thread..)

16. rollo

rollo Modder

Bf4 multi is not a repeatable benchmark only way would be closed server with bots. Also not sure its CPU limited on the Gpu in question. As that Gpu will run out of legs before the CPU will.

For the cost if these figures go across a range of games then there's no douting the potential it could have at the low to mid range of the market. Could give Intel an advantage in a segment they have been behind in for long periods of time.

Would prefer to see crysis 3 used if using FPS games over any of the 2 bf games.

Competition at the low end is never a bad thing, choice is always nice to have.

17. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I know Scan have said that they used some 2133MHz RAM, but it'd be interesting to see if this actually makes any difference to performance. Come on Bit, get a chip and get reviewing!

18. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

The chip may match an i7-4770K in games that do not require more than two threads. However, you cannot say that it keeps up with it, as it simply won't in all circumstances.

I'm keeping my eye out for a cheap, but good Z87 board so that I can a few Pentium chips to have a play with. They seem like cheap fun, but I got rid of my Z87 board and 4770K not too long ago.

19. [-Stash-]

[-Stash-] What's a Dremel?

Definitely interested to see the power figures on this sort of overclock, whether different RAM speeds make any noticeable difference (they don't usually) and across a variety of SP and MP games.

It's somewhat telling that the stock 4GHz i7 is no faster than the stock 3.5GHz i5 – definitely a completely GPU limited test. Need to see the stock scores for the Pentium as well… look forward to a proper test.

20. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Can they re-test in a game that makes use of more threads, Crysis 3 for example. The Pentium will most likely get walked all over by even the i3 let alone an i7.

Tags: Add Tags