1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

old cbr 6, zx6, r6, vfr 800, gsxr 600/750 you've got loads of choice as I found out earlier this year.

2. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

I know what choice there is, I'm asking if anyone knows of a bike for sale!

3. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

I know it's not a 600, but I think I saw a Bandit 1200 for sale around the 3k mark at Loomies the other day. I'd be happy to ride out and check for you unless you're not interested in something that big?

RAM

EDIT: Yeah, it's not so much a sports bike but it is a Bandit 1200 for 3 grand. :)

Last edited: 11 Jun 2014
  4. julianmartin

Yeah probably a bit big tbh. Thanks though :)

Pretty settled on a 2006 CBR600F, just need to find the right one. I want a RR but I know it's a stupid idea :)

5. RTT

RTT #parp

Cracking bikes. Can't recommend any for sale but can't really go wrong with 'em. £3k gets a good'un! High milage wouldn't bother me as long as servicing was all in order, a mate has one on 40k miles and it has never missed a beat

... £3k would probably buy a shagged out RR :lol:

6. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

I hear only good things about the 600F, the only major drawback is that it's a little thirsty. Either way, it's a true all rounder.

In other news I did my first trackday at Castle Combe the other day and I had a ball, can't really say my XJ6 was the bike for the job but I shamed a few sportsbikes. Ground down my right peg, and even my rear brake lever (a tad dangerous, nearly bucked me off doing that!) and knackered my Pilot Road 3s. Definitely recommend doing one to experiment with you and your bike's limits.

[​IMG]

7. RTT

RTT #parp

Serious kudos! Track days are friggin' awesome and I'd urge anyone to have a go; doesn't matter what bike you're on, even if it's a CBR250 or whatever. You can really explore the limits, learn a tonne and have some seriously good fun all at the same time

I have just bought myself a set of spare wheels and had a fresh set of Dunlop D212's fitted to 'em solely for track day usage :naughty:

8. julianmartin

Yeah, Hondas run a bit rich. I gather a power commander can sort that out so I'll probably look to do that.

Next week I am hoping for, cannot wait, been off a bike for 18 months now!

Once I get back in the groove, bit tech trackday sounds like a plan?!

9. RTT

RTT #parp

Sounds like a plan to me, I conveyed this idea to The RAM the other day actually (i'd have included you, but i know you're bikeless
    for another few weeks ;)
    )

My season ticket doesn't cover brands, but i'd still like to go there - and the Indy circuit, while short, must still be a giggle and is relatively cheap as it's such a short lap, so yeah i'd be up for that! (edit: i'd also be up for a bigger/better track like Silverstone or wherever, naturally)

Last edited: 12 Jun 2014
  10. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

I'd love to do a trackday or two, trouble seems to be a lot of 'em won't let you on with a 33hp licence.

I'd probably want to swap the restrictor out as well, have a go on my bike full power.

Still waiting around for it to be fixed though.

11. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

No one checked my licence when I went, the only real check was how loud my exhaust was!

12. RTT

RTT #parp

Depends, IME. I've had noise gone unchecked (Silverstone noise wasn't ever even mentioned!), licences gone unchecked, sometimes one or the other inspected closely. Depends how they're feeling, it seems!

Would be daft to turn up on a 33bhp license though, as if you're caught, you aren't getting a refund :)

13. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

Can't think why a track (not public road) would require you to have any sort of licence.

But then I'm never surprised about the ability of insurance companies to suck every penny out of any presented situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

You're not required to be insured on track, it's probably just a bit of proof to say that you can control your bike.

15. RTT

RTT #parp

Just done a bit of googling. Focused Events (for example) say that you must have a full, unrestricted license, however some of the tracks they operate at (MSV owned tracks: Brands, Cadwell, Snetterton and Oullton) say that they are fine with a 33bhp license, so in reality the message on (again, for example) Focuses' website may be a catch-all and not exactly true in all cases

So, in reality, probably best to just speak to whoever is organising the event and get it from the horse's mouth as to what they require for whatever track you want to book into

Tony, you ever tracked your S'thou?

16. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

They'd find that out at the first corner

Never been on track with the Beemer - but I've done Oulton on a ZX10r and Donnington on an RD250.

Would like to - but limited holiday days.

17. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

Thanks for the advice.

I don't really get the 'full unrestricted licence' thing; surely you can pass your DAS one day, buy a R1 the next, then take it to the track the day after. At 33hp you're surely going to be less of a liability, if not a little more experienced.

/Rant

18. Rhydian

Rhydian What's a Dremel?

Paper beats rock.

19. RTT

RTT #parp

It's daft, obviously, but then again a lot of rules are daft :sigh: All I can think is they don't want people on 33bhp licenses turning up, derestricting their bikes for the first time and it all going pear shaped for them.

In other news, saw a MT-09 this morning, sounded friggin' awesome :D

20. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

MT-09 looks like so much fun! Would be tempting to take one out for a ride if I ever had the chance! Would be out today were it not for the fact the rain clouds are looming already... :(