1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft denies death of Games for Windows Live

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 23 Jun 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sounds like they are trying to do a stealthy U turn. Not that Microsoft saying they are committed to investing in PC gaming is going to roll back the last 13 years of damage they have done.

I am probably going to incur the ire of people who disagree, but IMHO games on the PC have, and still are being held back by consoles. Not only has DirectX gone from almost yearly updates before the Xbox to now only being updated when new consoles hit the market.

We also have to contended with ports from the consoles either being held back on the PC because they have not scaled up to better hardware, or worse still claims that develops are now gimping PC versions of games because they don't want to show the latest generation of consoles in a bad light and thusly effect sales.

Last edited: 23 Jun 2014
  3. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

I WISH it would shut down! It's only been causing me greif on every (no lie) game that uses it's services!

4. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

It should be shut down, but only after games like Bulletstorm have it patched out. And I'd like that particular patch sometime soon, thank you very much.

5. Sgoaty

Sgoaty Minimodder

I really enjoyed Dirt 3 but its a GFWL title and the store is closed so i couldnt get any of the DLC!

6. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

+1 with Sgoaty.. I'm trying to play GTA4, but it says I have to do an update.. Naturally the update cannot be made, so i'm unable to use the DLC! -.-"

7. TreeDude

TreeDude What's a Dremel?

Never had an issue with GFWL. I was sad to see it removed from the Batman games. I have lots of XBL friends and enjoy getting achievements.

8. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

GFWL is the worst! Everytime it needs to update it will fail, thus preventing you from playing or saving. What really pisses me off is when you buy a game on Steam and yet you STILL have the GFWL crap. I never finished Lost Planet or Bioshock 2 because of it. No great loss I hear you say, but I paid for them and expected to be able to play them.

It needs to die!

9. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

+1 with Bioshock! I managed to get 2hrs playtime on it, now it refuses to play nicely!

It may be my install of GFWL or some part of that package, but guess what? I CAN'T re-install it, as it's now not available to get the updates without crashing! (As far as I've experienced...)

10. DbD

DbD Minimodder

Hate it - got to use it with Lost Planet and it's just makes everything like playing with friends really difficult.

11. the-beast

the-beast What's a Dremel?

Hopefully developers/publishers will move away from Steam as well as G4WL and put it all on GOG.COM!

12. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .