1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google introduces cardboard virtual reality rival

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 26 Jun 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I had to check it wasn't April 1st then... Really - a cardboard Oculus Rift? Whatever next?!

3. Ergath

Ergath Giant Zombie Pigeon Photographer

This is not made of cardboard..... it is made of PURE WIN.

4. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Lol. What a brilliant idea.

5. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

6. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Google introduces cardboard virtual reality rival.

Wonder what Samsung will think of that considering Samsung's VR Headset will also use your phone's screen?
    androidpolice.com

7. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Rival? Really? It's a fun little demo for I/O that the plans were released for to DIY at home. In function (put a phone in a thing that holds a phone and some lenses) it's no different from the FOV2go and similar.

Like any phone-based HMD, it will have the same issues of lack of rigid alignment (when you're using high magnification power lenses, a tiny bit of wobble means the 'world' viewed through the display flies about), lack of dimensional accuracy (because you need enough tolerance to fit a phone in), and the generally poor IMUs and IMU polling in mobile phones (nowhere close to the performance needed for comfortable VR).

Perfect for a quick "look what you can do with a phone and $10 of materials" demo of looking around Street View for a minute or two before throwing the thing away, but no good for any sort of actual usage.

8. murraynt

murraynt Modder

Google I/O has just been on and this is what makes the news on Bit-tech?

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

What, you mean the Google I/O I posted a summary piece on this morning? And the same Google I/O where Google Cardboard was announced?

Sorry, what was your complaint again?

10. murraynt

murraynt Modder

My bad, I didn't see that article. It would have still been nice to have a piece dedicated to some like android L, or android TV, android car or android smart watches.

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Ooh, SLAP! :lol:

On topic: That looks effing brilliant - practical or not, it'll likely put a hole in the OR hyperbole machine.

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Ghetto VR set! :rock:

13. ChaosDefinesOrder

ChaosDefinesOrder Vapourmodder

Something Cheapskate would appreciate, for sure!

14. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Oh yeah, We might need a "VR Headset" modding forum, who's going to be the first to print one? :hip:

15. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

I can see how this would potentially be a very good idea for Google. It is a "look kids this is what you can do for £peanuts" it is OK but not great, now give us your $$$ and get Google glass. It is like cardboard, but better.
    People like my dad or me even, who don't really see the benefit of glass can get the experience for nothing, then the desire builds to get the actual thing.
    I mean who really wants to wander round town with a Frosties box on their head?

16. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

This in no way resembles Glass in use, other than "there is a display that happens to be in the vicinity of your head". This is a high-FoV VR viewer (with sorta-OK orientation tracking and no position tracking, and hideous motion-to-photons latency), Glass is a very low FoV HUD. Glass would barely even qualify as AR if anyone attempted to create a live-overlay for it (and would be uncomfortable to use that way, with the image location being offset significantly upward.

17. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Has anyone done this yet?

18. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Yes, people have been doing this since at least the mid-1800s. Basically, Google just created a stereoscope for smartphones.

I have a bunch of 3D images from the moon landings, and I've been meaning to make a proper Victorian stereoscope for a while. I just need to get some decent lenses for it.

19. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Can I "like" his idea? :thumb:

Ooh! Project log please! I've actually been toying with the same idea. Have lathe, will mod. Care to do a joint project?

20. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Alright smart arse, I ment Has anyone on here done this? As in the cardboard version.