1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows War Thunder?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Elton, 12 Jun 2013.

1. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I tried my 360 pad before using a stick and whilst it's all nicely pre-mapped I found both keyboard/mouse and stick better.

2. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

Anyone still playing this now its moved to steam?

Finding it pretty enjoyable, not tried the new addition of tanks yet, but its very similar to World of tanks I hear.

3. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

It's not really anything like World of Tanks. Don’t get me wrong, same retarded user base and it is a game about tank combat. However, they both play very differently.

WT Ground Forces having a more historic focus for the tanks themselves, like armour and gun configuration, no health bars, a more complex ammo model etc. Due to the nature of WT GF, there is a little less emphasis on the individual (maybe a bit disposable) due to the fact that you can, in some modes or selected tanks, comeback once destroyed in another vehicle. WTGF has an abysmal arcade mode and really only come to live in simulation mode, where 1 shot kill are a regular possibility, and vehicle handing is arguably more realistic.

WoT on the other hand, has a much better meta game, and is all about exploiting the minute to minute tactics. It actually has a better arcade mode (and a bad historic mode!) and has extreme variety in terms of number of vehicles.
    It does however, suffer significantly from bad match making and unit tiering (ever tried to fight a tier 10 heavy in a tier 8 heavy, when they can herpaderp you for over half your health in 1 hit!) and the in-game economy, where a loss in anything tier 8 and above means losing in-game currency and even winning in the tier 9/10 vehicles can be a loss economically. Also, the very controversial 'gold ammo' that has proliferated though the game has had a very destabilising impact on the game play.

Make no mistake though, both of them are effectively MMO light with a sub focus of getting you to pay to shortcut past the yawnsome grinds.

I thought I would drop WoT like a sack of spuds once WTGF was released but surprisingly not, as it still has its own issues.

4. Xye

Xye What's a Dremel?

Like I said I've not tried it and only really played the Warplanes section. and with its multiple go type gameplay it does encourage you to be far more reckless with your planes.

I might try World of Warplanes again just to see how it compares.

I know what you mean though about the retarded user base, though that would be the same in any of those kind of games. I used to play WoT so remember match making and so on well. I may re-download it see if its improved any.

5. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

you brave...brave man

it has and it hasnt

the matchmaker is as bad as it always was ( if not worse ) and matches are still won on who has the fewest idiots rather than who has the better team / tactics / side of map / RNG
    however its still worth playing and some of the new gamemodes ( especially the team battles, often reffered to as 7v7 ) are pretty epic, fast paced and fairly profitable

overall consider WOT to be the arcade mode WTGF SHOULD have had...and WTGF to be the hardcore / historical mode WOT should have had and your not far off the money

6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

WTGF has the problem of being absurdly imbalanced still in terms of map design. Not to say it isn't fun, but the matchmaking is still wonky and the forced SB into mixed forces (which have no clear objectives minus capping a point) make WTGF a mess.

That and they recently nerfed the income for GF. I don't know where Gaijin is going with their design but after 460+ hours I'm burnt out. Every patch seems to arbitrarily punish progression as opposed to encouraging it. Tier IV modification grinds and upwards for example are frustrating. The weird BRs, and the bafflingly slow response time to certain broken mechanics are worrying.

7. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

8. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Wow, nothing since 1.43 launched?

I started playing WT after I got burned out on WoT and am still enjoying it. Despite my dislike for the developer, I'm finding myself more willing to spend real money on it than I ever was in WoT.

I have to say the foums really make me glad for the great job the Bit moderators do! :thumb:

9. [ZiiP] NaloaC

10. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

Have been playing WT on and off since quitting WoT. I have to say I much prefer WT. I don't believe the player based is quite as bad as WoTs, well at least not the ones I have played with so far.
    I have only tried arcade battles so far and am loving it.
    I even tried out the air forces as well and have to say it seems vastly superior to WoWP, which I played in Beta.

Thanks for the link [ZiiP], I need all the help I can get. :)

11. lilgoth89

ive played a few games of this recently, still a total noob in terms of knowing my way around the map

but i had a good game last time i played and came top of the team, killing early panzer IV's in my BT2
    might progress up the Russian medium line for the T34-85

and i hate the PZII

12. [ZiiP] NaloaC

If you're around this evening, drop me a message in-game. Player name: NaloaC

I'm usually spending far too much time on this as it is these days. :D

13. lilgoth89

sorry just seen your reply, am just coming on now if you want to squad up or something

name is Lilgoth

14. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Sorry I missed you yesterday evening dude. I was hammering away at acing my Panzer IV/70. I've left my german tank destroyers by the way-side recently after working on the american side of things so much.

I've added you as a friend in-game though, so if you see me on, drop me a line.

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I still play from time to time although I'm much more a pilot than a tanker.

16. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

wow warthunder after the recent large patch is pretty much as good as DCS now in terms of cockpit presenance.

hugely impressive, they have actually fixed the cockpit in the dk2 now (took them long enough).

crazy experience, going to check out the rest of the birds, but boy is it impressive.

if you have a dk2 and have warthunder, download the lastest patch, its like a different game, I had to double check it wasn't dcs.

it looks stunning,

be great any one else dk2 player try and post thoughts,

17. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Anyone else still playing this?

I think I need to go to an addiction clinic for the damn game. It is absolutely my go-to game for a quick pick up & play title.

Sure, I've put over €100 into it over the last 2 years (premium), but for the hours I'm getting out of it, it is more than ok with me.

Struggled with the lower Tier 3 British tanks, but after having gotten my hands on the Caernarvon, it's a good bit better. So many of the British tanks are painfully slow (Churchill & Valentine variants) and some are just outright weird (Archer), but they can pack a punch.

Finally got the entire German tank tree unlocked, but until I get the Tiger II 105mm aced, I'll not be moving on to the Leopard/Maus units. I adore the JagdTiger though, can't resist that damned anti-matter cannon! :D

I've put very little time into the planes side of things, but I think I'll have to give it a good run again soon.

If anyone is still playing, feel free to add me to your friends list: NaloaC

18. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

I haven't for a few months, need to start playing again as I've rarely had as much fun in a game as when pootling about in a T34 or using the DERP tank :) They only had a few premium British tanks in at the point when I stopped playing so I need to give the new ones a go. I stopped playing German tanks after getting taken out so many times by the same design flaw - the driver's view port. It's great from the other end though - 1 shot, cored like an apple :D

My tag in game is Hamster_of_Boom. Tanks only, I really suck at the planes side as I don't really want to play simulator but the arcade model does my head in! :wallbash:

19. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Grim, I've added you to my friends list fella :)

Oh how I despise some of the Ruskie tanks, especially the IS tree.... Thankfully my JagdTiger does tend to make any IS-2 simply go *BOOM*. It's nice to return the favour after being on the receiving end of them so, so many times.

I've kind of stalled with the Ruskie tech tree at low Tier 4 to be honest, just not enjoying them as much as I do the Yank, German or British lines.

The drivers visions slot and all those lovely flat surfaces in the German tanks does make them cannon fodder, but their cannons are just so insanely accurate and with the AP rounds, they can lay some serious smack down.

That same weakness in the PzIV range is applicable to the IS-2 as well. Any decent explosive round through that little slot and you're essentially guaranteed a kill. Only downside is that you have to dodge that horrific first 122mm shell :/

I really struggled with the Tier 3 brits, just too slow and the Churchill MkVII couldn't hurt anything big if your line up had any similar tier or higher BR units. It's cannon just couldn't really hurt Tigers and the like.

The Matchmaking seems a bit better now, but you still get some odd ones. It's nice when you're part of the 30% of the higher BR (max of 1 BR higher of other units) and you get to grind away at the enemy team and laugh like a maniac. That being said, when you're running a lower BR (say 5.7) and you end up going up against high-Tiver IV stuff, then you start to get worried about your chances.

Any time I get enough points for a bomber or assault aircraft, I immediately go for the heaviest tanks or T-54 units.

20. Grimloon

Grimloon What's a Dremel?

Added you as well mate.

Yeah, I hear ya! I was maxing out my crews while waiting for my nephews and a mate to catch up with me so stuck to mostly tier 2 for their benefit. I kept getting mullered by T-34s while driving my German tanks so decided to give them a go myself. I've grown to love them and the APHEBC shells they use - the perfect balance of putting holes in things and going BOOM! :D I still carry a few Shrapnel shells for soft targets but generally skip the APBC - they make a hole but don't really do much else so I've found myself to be better off manoeuvring around harder targets to find a weak point. Enough angling on the armour for some survivability but still mobile enough to outflank. Can you guess that I love T-34s? (except the T-34 57 - it's a malodorous heap of festering parrot droppings).

Accuracy isn't great on the guns but that can be helped by crew skill and my main trio for the Russians are all a touch excessive - 100+ hours on just 3 crews will do that :) 14 kills in an arcade battle with a single T-34 1941 is my current best, my nephew was complaining bitterly that by the time he got a bead on a tank I'd already killed it :p

Not played with the IS tanks much, I'm not a fan of heavies. TDs and mediums only, please! Either "You call that a gun?! THIS is a gun!" or "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!" :D EDIT: Except the Derp tank - SO. MUCH. FUN!!!

I'm definitely behind though, the crew skill numbers have completely changed so what was 800+ is now some shiny bars that tell me nothing. However, the tooltips are quite a bit better now, they give the percentages so it's good.