1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education How do you sleep?

Discussion in 'General' started by Darkwisdom, 1 Jul 2014.

1. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

It does take me an age to get off, around an hour+, but I can't be doing with reading a book before going to bed, Christ them things set my brain off at a full on rampage level.

2. Sketchee

Sketchee Suddenly, looters! Hundreds of 'em!

3. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I don't appear to be affected by that blue-light tosh. Sure, the device (TV, laptop or phone) is a distraction - I often use them for sleep procrastination and am in a habit of doing so, but they don't interfere with my ability to get to sleep when I want to.

Biggest problem at the moment is the World Cup. Football was everything to me as a kid so the World Cup still has 'protected' status in my diary (not that I'm organised enough to keep a diary). Those group games not finishing 'til 1am was not good for my work/life/family responsibilities balance. The females in my family are often asleep by 8pm, so I am almost every night up for 2-5hrs longer than them, yet we all have to get up at the same time in the morning. Causes a few niggles.

I used to sleep on my front or either side, but some back/pelvis issue that sprang up about 7 years ago means I have to sleep on my back or right side, otherwise it triggers some annoying discomfort.

4. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

6 hours is the max for me. I am also lucky in that it takes no time at all for me to fall asleep, it seems to me that no sooner do I close my eyes than I am asleep.

I am up at 6am during the week so I don't always get 6hrs a night, but at weekends I will sleep for 6hrs no matter what time I go to bed.

Having a 'body clock' that wakes me after 6 hours is annoying should I ever have an early night. Only this morning I was wide awake at 4:30am having had a good 6hr sleep!

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

I don't know the science of it, but for me I got a better night's sleep if I stopped looking at the TV/computer after the 10 'o clock news, so circa 10:30pm. If I watch it, that's the last thing I watch on TV. 10pm would be a good starting point for sleeping around 11 or 11:30, yes - but do vary it and see how different times affect you and your sleep. Everyone is different.

Yep, agree on this too. I start the comedown at about 4pm and have an alcohol-free beer when I get home to chill out - it's a habit I've had for many years, ever since I was working at home in the early bit-tech days. It was my commute from work to home, and took around 20 minutes.

I stopped drinking alcohol in January (for charity) and I don't really miss it. I'll have the odd real beer or wine if I'm out, but I don't really drink at all nowadays.

6. RTT

RTT #parp

In with the 'no distractions in the bedroom' crowd, for me. My phone is not within my reach when i'm asleep and I've no TV (etc) that can bug me either, so hopefully my brain associates bed with sleep and that's it. Seems to work. 7-8 hours is my norm. IMO Bedrooms are for sleeping (and, well, whatever else you wanna get up to in there :D)

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

in this bloody weather, poorly.

**** the sun i cant wait for winter.

8. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

+1
    i have the window wide open and a silverstone USB fan to keep me cool so i can sleep

even still, i sleep pretty poorly despite medication :(

9. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Poorly, and I wake up even more poorly.

10. legoman

legoman breaker of things

sleep? pah!

Usually got to bed around midnight fall asleep round two wake up at four then drop off and wake up at six and get up. Even in this heat i end up curled up in a 15 tog duvet for some reason.

11. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Usually 4 or 5 hours. Bed by 1 or 2 am and up by 6am. The trouble is I keep waking up at 5 am because its so bright in the morning.

I never have naps.

Been doing that for years and as long as I'm not disturbed I'm normslly fine and alert.

12. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I'm lucky in that I can sleep wherever I put my head down and at any time of day or night. Coffee, screens etc don't affect me, nor does noise or light.

I usually get 7-8 hours a night but can function after as little as 5 if need be. Less than 5 and there's a slight numbness behind the eyes the next day. :blah:

Too much booze is the only thing that prevents me getting any benefit from a night's sleep.

Last edited: 1 Jul 2014
  13. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Never had a problem sleeping but in recent years I have to use ear plugs if I sleep in the same room as anyone else.

I would guess I get a solid 7 and a half hours a night. would say I am asleep within a few mins of hitting the pillow.

14. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

This. I aim to get to bed between 11pm and 12am with the alarm going off at 7:30 and I usually feel like crap. I have permanent bags under my eyes which don't help and if I have a nap during the day, I can add an hour or two on before I can get to sleep at night.

I also have to be tired before I can sleep. If I head to bed before then I'll pretty much just lie there until my usual time. If I'm with my other half however, I can nap during the day, pretty much go to bed whenever and wake up feeling much better than I do by myself for some reason...

Oh, and I have to have a duvet on top of me too, I can't sleep at all otherwise.

Last edited: 1 Jul 2014
  15. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I'm exactly the same which is why i never get drunk any more.

Normally head to bed between 11 and midnight, asleep about 2 mins later then up around 7. Occasionally I'll wake once or twice during the night but not often.

16. phem0r

phem0r What's a Dremel?

Usually about 7 hours.. I guess i'm a heavy sleeper too as i once slept through being 'antiqued' (whole bag of flour over my head) and then when i didn't wake up my friends proceeded to video them hoovering the flour from my face/head and i still didn't wake up! This was years ago though..

17. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I sleep pretty much as soon as my head hits the pillow. I like to have the radio on a 30 minute sleep timer, but I don't even last the first song normally. I can't sleep with complete silence. Since moving house I don't have my server in my bedroom anymore and it's taken a few days to get used to the complete silence in my room now.

I normally go to bed at about 10.30/11ish (because I'm hardcore) and I get up 6.30/7ish, during the week.

18. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

I've been through things like that! Once set the alarm on my Hi-fi set.. Which hadn't been used since a house party. Safe to say, at 7.15 the entire house woke up to HEAVY bass and loud music.. Apart from me! :lol: I just slept through it untill about 15 minutes in, when there was a long break! :hehe

But generally i'm asleep about 1.30-2.00 am and up again about 7.30.. Aleays tired, but can never sleep! Unless my body decides to, where then I just drop off in about 5 mins..

19. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

I would love to operate with that little sleep. Maybe I should stop going to bed so early.....and gradually get myself to stay up longer.

Im usually in bed by around 10pm, asleep by 11ish and up and 6.50am. My cat sits on my chest or wrapped around my head while i sleep usually.

20. PAULWARDEN

PAULWARDEN What's a Dremel?

very badly usually wake up after 3 hours of sleep but then i have osteo porosis and arthritis in my neck which is causing blinding headaches so when i wake up have to get up and take pain killers before i can get back to sleep