1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Only Fools and Hyperspace: Exploring Elite Dangerous

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 27 Jun 2014.

1. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

I must say that I didn't enjoy the read, I'm afraid I'm not a fan of this journalistic style.
    First of all, a great proportion of our readership do not come from the UK, and will have no notion of what "Only Fools and Horses" is.
    Secondly, I was put off reading past the second paragraph, and I did get the references.

A rewrite would give the article more substance, as it stands it comes across as a bit of a joke.

Last edited: 1 Jul 2014
  2. RickLane

RickLane Staff Lover of bit-tech

Right, I'm getting tired of this. I wrote something for a bit of fun in addendum to the more usual stuff I write for the site. Don't like the article? That's absolutely fine. But stop, STOP demanding that I rewrite it.

Firstly because there are people here who actually are enjoying it, and your dislike doesn't take priority over their pleasure.

Secondly because you read it completely for free, and are not in any way entitled to have it changed.

Thirdly because I have already stated that I'll be writing more about Elite Dangerous in the future. I just wanted to try something a little different.

I take all feedback on board for what I do in the future. But I'm not going to rewrite entire articles every time someone complains, because that would be utterly insane. Feel free to voice your thoughts on what I write, but don't make the mistake of thinking you're owed something.

All the best,

Rick

3. Xir

Xir Modder

You're right, and funny is good and part of the Bit-Tech legacy.
    You're the author, and have every right to write in the style you like.
    I'm looking forward to future articles about Elite Dangerous.

That said:
    I also thing the critics are fundamentally right, we've had the international discussions a few years ago.
    I don't want to argue about the "it's free" part...I'll just ignore that flame-bait.

4. RickLane

RickLane Staff Lover of bit-tech

Yup, the international factor is a fair point, and something that I'll keep in mind from now on.

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I'd like to see more articles written in Latin. Is that going to be a possibility in future? (naturally I wouldn't expect you to go back and rewrite past articles)

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Latin is a dead language. For a geek site I'd expect nothing less than Klingon.

7. Xir

Xir Modder

Oh dear God :duh:

8. Nexxo

No, that's "Zod".

9. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Were there many Kryptonians in the Klingon empire? :p

10. Nexxo

No, I'm just trying to throw in as many Sci-Fi references as I can. The more 80's, the better. :p

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yes, the more the merrier, lest they be lost in time... like tears in rain... :D

12. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I'm actually quite amazed at some people on here. If this was a review of the finished game, with a score, AND it was the single source of information you had at your disposal concerning your potential purchase of the product, and you bought it based on this alone and THEN didn't like the game, and felt you had been mislead by the review...then, and only then, can you gripe at the author for the article.

Until that happens, go and read one of a thousand "typical" previews on the huge amount of websites at your disposal.

Or go and buy a magazine, where you can legitimately express your disappointment if you felt an article you had paid for was unreadable.

Or better still, preview the damn game yourself, and give us all a laugh.

13. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

To be fair, I think that although some people have perhaps gone overboard in their criticism of this article (with by far the rudest being Spam*Dagger, but he's a professional troll so should be ignored), it's ridiculous to take the view that people aren't entitled to criticise an article because it's only a preview or because they didn't explicitly pay cold harsh cash to view it.

My main issue with this article is that I felt that it wasn't particularly informative, and I was disappointed because I LOVED Elite and was really looking forward to seeing what Bit-Tech made of the new game. However, Rick has explained that he's going to be covering ED in greater detail at some future point in time, so I look forward very much to reading his thoughts then. If Rick wants to write that article in Iambic Pentameter or in the style of the theme song to a popular TV sitcom starring Will Smith, all power to him :D The style of this article doesn't bother me in the slightest, but if it did, I would like to think that I could say so (in as constructive a manner as possible, of course). Telling people that they aren't allowed to air criticism because it's not a full review or they haven't paid for the article is pretty bone-headed, imo.

Also, props to Nexxo for his fine work in this thread :thumb:

14. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

My main issue with this entire comments thread is that Rick didn't ban Spam*Dagger once and for all - he brings nothing to this site and his trolls aren't even very funny most of the time.

At least be like PingCrosby and throw a few dad jokes into your spam :)

15. DraigUK

DraigUK Minimodder

I liked the writing style. Something different and a bit of fun.
    I'm in the Beta, and the next update for 29th of this month is going to take it a leap forward and into an area where players (like me) back in the original Elite days will find comfort and familiarity as more systems are introduced such as law enforcement and a more robust criminality system.

So far I'm really enjoying it for what it is at this stage of testing, and impressed overall with the graphics and gameplay in the tiny restricted space we have right now. But, it is definitely Elite. The flight mechanics are good and fun, combat is generally great, and it looks like we are going to have a very modern, high quality version of Elite with multiplayer, taking the things that made the original so good and the best bits of the sequels, with some new options added in. I'm confident it will be great.

Currently it is just a free for all, and limited, as you expect from such an early stage, but it will definitely get better. A quick read of the DDF section of the forums will show you the direction and the things to come, and it sounds great.

There are definitely design decisions that I'm skeptical about, for example the option to switch between multiplayer and single player online seemingly at a whim, but I will wait and see how it works in practice.

Pretty excited for this one, it is shaping up very very well.

Last edited: 11 Jul 2014
  16. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I want this now!

I have to agree with other comments... that was hard to read.

17. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Just wanted to say that I really enjoyed Rick's article about the Cobra engine in this month's Custom PC. Great stuff, Rick. Those of you who are interested in ED should check it out!

18. Ergath

Ergath Giant Zombie Pigeon Photographer

TC;DR

(Too Cockney, Didn't Read)

19. skunkmunkey

skunkmunkey Minimodder

I must say I agree, im sure there a decent preview in there but the style made my brain bleed and also made me quite irritable after trying to read. A suggestion for next time would be to use the style for the first paragraph then revert back to real language...

Tags: Add Tags