1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays needing a 3 screen setup along side the u3011

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Sc0rian, 7 Jul 2014.

1. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

I now WFH, so I want a 3 monitor setup. I already have a U3011, but I would like to get some wing monitors for it, in portrait mode.

I went out and bought a (1, a future second coming later maybe) U2713H, which is a really fantastic monitor. However, I feel that, it just isn't going to work. The screen is very tall when in portrait mode, I'm having to tilt my neck far too much to look at it. It also doesn't really look right along side the u3011.

But, I am not sure what to return it for. I was thinking of getting 2 x U2414H, due to having a really thin bezel. Also, because they are DP 1.2, which supports MST. I am however, a bit put off because I have read a lot of issues about the U2414H, and I am not a great fan of 1920x1080. I have got a bit spoilt with 2560x1600/1400 resolutions. But nothing I can about that.

Do I get 2 x U2414H for wings for u3011? Just confused really!

Thanks

Last edited: 7 Jul 2014
  2. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

When I heard about MST I was all over it and implemented it in an enterprise setting, needless to say after I sent out an email to full team saying don't worry about the u2414h not having DVI and its fine can be daisy chained, user comes back fires up win 7 64bit, Bloomberg, outlook, IE 9... boom Blue screen, Nivida driver issue in a t3600.

Don't rely on MST, not yet.

If you have a 30" screen then any thing you put to the side is not going to be perfect right? if you have a 30" then you need to two further 30" for perfect balance and appearance.

I had all options available recently and decided 3x dell u2414h was the best route, only considerations I have now is... when the oculas rift hits.. Do we drop these 3x U2414hs and get a 4k... I don't think so, I think 3x u2414h works good, its nerdy as all heck and I would be embarrassed to bring a girl back to desk looking this matrix neo looking vs some apple glasses desk media type thing.

I don't know, what the heck do you need more space for beyond 30", what is your usage?

If I had a 30" what I would first be thinking is do I get rid of this and upgrade to 4k.... that's the question here right, are you gaming as well? what GPU have you got, triple screen for surround needs same res.

ping back more so forum can input.

Also nice to have a 30"... that is not standard computer user stuff, you are already advanced etc.. :thumb:

3. Sc0rian

thanks for the reply dude.

Yeah, I know what you mean about MST. In fairness, I use Linux (Arch) most of the time now, and MST support hasn't quite made the Kernel. However David Airlie at Red Hat is working on it now, so should be seeing it 3.17 kernel (maybe!). On top of this, my desktop runs windows, but only has 560ti's, so don't even have DP 1.2.

I think, knowing how useful MST could be, it makes sense to try and order some monitors with it. In future it might be really useful.

Nice, I envy you 3 screen 24" setup. I think that's a good way to go, and personally you'd get a better gaming experience than me, just because you can use Surround! I have been doing lots of research into this, because I do game on my desktop and really wish nvidia or ati, supported PLP gaming :(. I feel PLP gaming is the only way to go, when you have a >24". Otherwise the field of view is just terrible.

I have now sent back the U2713H. Currently, I am one click away from ordering 2 x U2414H. The reason I need it, is because I work from home. The u3011, is awesome (the best screen i've ever owned), but I miss having multiple screens. I also miss, having monitors in portrait mode. I require it for coding and ideally gaming and watching movies. Not sure how doable those last two are though. Come on nvidia!!!

4. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Before I got my latest monitor I used to have a 3007 as the main monitor with a 2407 in portrait mode as a document reading/file handling/internet screen. I thought it worked quite well.

Are you adamant on having a third screen? I briefly had a three screen set up at work (3x 1080p 22(?) inch) and didn't really find much improvement over a two screen set up.

5. Sc0rian

I just prefer having multiple screens.

I have to admit, I am tempted to sell my u3011 and get UP3214Q. help!! Brains going to explode.

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Just remember that only the later GPUs support 4K:

Nvidia 4K capable

AMD: Only the latest generation I think (someone needs to verify) Rx 2xx GPUs.

7. Sc0rian

oh good call.. balls that is going to be a expensive upgrade. I also want to wait for the 8 series GPU's. As they have a integrated ARM processor.

Would a 4k screen + 2 x u2414h work?

:duh:

8. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Grab some old Dell FP2007s. Exact size match when in portrait, plus the 1600 vertical res is an exact pixel match... and they're dirt cheap on Ebay... and later revisions are IPS. I have one here alongside my Eizo CG303W. Sprayed black, it looks the bollox!

[​IMG]

Just imagine a second on the other side.

9. Sc0rian

thanks for the suggestion pookeyhead. I am liking the idea of a FP2007. Although, I was thinking of getting the 2007WFP.

Doing more research, don't think I'll go 4k just yet. Technology doesn't seem there, and I don't fancy upgrading graphics cards just yet.

I am still unsure if I should get the U2414H or not. Its a expense I can offset whilst a FP2007, is not...

10. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

WFP is 1680x1050, so you will have different vertical resolutions for each side, where as the 2007FP is 1600 across, so when in portrait, perfectly matches the vertical res of your 3011. Also, the 2007FWP is not an exact physical match in size either. I tried the FWP when I was looking, and decided on the FP. In portrait mode, the FWP looks very thin and is of far less practical use in reality.

That Dell 4K screen can be hardware profiled!... I'm interested now :)

11. Sc0rian

okay thanks. Will just think about it more...