1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Alien: Isolation pre-order bonus brings together cast of film

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 10 Jul 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Any news on the terms of this?

The official website only talks about there being one 'Nostromo Edition' but Gamestop are saying that in the US you only get "Crew Expendable' when you pre-order, with 'Last Survivor' coming only with Gamestop orders. They talk about there being select retailers for the Nostromo edition.

3. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

So torn on this game. On the one hand I'm still bitter about ACM and the fact that I will probably be too scared to play it. On the other hand, the effort that has gone into it is clear and it could be an unforgettable experience.

I feel I may preorder just to support game developers making games that aren't just 'Call of Ghost Honour' generic crap.

4. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

AFAIK there are two pre-order editions. The Nostromo Edition gives you just the Crew Expendable mission, then there's the Ripley Edition that comes with the Crew Expendable mission and the Last Survivor mission.

5. BD Hopkins

BD Hopkins What's a Dremel?

Why would you support a publisher that was willing to clearly lie to you? Why would you support a franchise that hasn't lived up to its potential since AVP2 for PC was released over 13 years ago? Why would you purchase a game, sight and reviews unseen?

There are so many reasons not to pre-order this game. Meanwhile, you can support developers just fine by buying the game after it's released and reviewed, if it's actually worthy of your money. Giving money to studios before their unproven products are released only encourages them to push crap out the door.

6. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

7. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

In the age of NDA's, vertical slices, 'guided' interaction and review events that footage and those people's opinions are about as relevant as a boiled cabbage.

Backing a game from an Indy is a calculated risk, paying up front for a fully funded game that's coming anyway is undoing your belt, bending over and hoping they'll be gentle this time.

8. BD Hopkins

BD Hopkins What's a Dremel?

Lol. Yep, in this context of this game and releases like it, which is what my comments were addressing, you're not supporting a struggling indy or even the magical unicorn that is a brave concept from a large publisher, by pre-ordering.

9. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I'm an optimist at heart. You're a cynic.

Wouldn't the world be a better place if men were more optimistic and women were a little more cynical.

10. Bokonist

Bokonist What's a Dremel?

Pre-order dlc on any game is bribery and unfair. Bribery is ok by me, but give me a cool tshirt or something. Unfair because people who are sensible enough to wait till after the review don't get the whole game, and if they do make available afterwards, which they surely will, then they have effectively lied to all their Pre-order customers.

11. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Pre-order dlc is a way of tempting fans into committing to buy the game before it has actually shipped. Gives them a good idea of how sales will progress. Sure if you wait a year or 2 you can get an ultimate edition with all the trimmings, but most people with cash won't want to wait.

It is not lieing. Everyone goes into this knowing full well what will happen. You pay full price if you buy a game at release, you pay less if you wait a year. You pay full price if you pre-order and get the dlc, and you pay less if you wait for the ultimate edition with all the dlc or save even more if you wait for a sale.

DLC is just the sweetener to get people to pay full price. And if it is a game I know I will enjoy, from a developer that makes my kind of shizzle (Bioware, Cdprojeckt ect), then I am happy to pay full price to support them. Any pre-order dlc / special edition knick-knacks is a BONUS.

I think what most people forget is that a game needs to sell well in its first month to be considered a success by the shareholders and so on. They aren't interested in a slow burner. Tempting us into a 1st month sale is a way of ensuring they stay in business.

Last edited: 11 Jul 2014
  12. Bokonist

Bokonist What's a Dremel?

True, but for me I won't buy a Pre-order because of previous bad experience, and I would also not buy the game post-release until everything is in it. So no first month buying from me, even if it reviews well. Plus this dlc with the original cast for some die hard Alien fans will potentially be the main attraction, not a mere bonus.

Last edited: 11 Jul 2014