1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8 Marmite thread... Because you either love it or hate it

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheStockBroker, 28 Feb 2012.

?

Windows 8: what is your opinion?

1. Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so.

59 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer.

37 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro.

48 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

No longer rumours. 18,000 job cuts. 12,500 from their Nokia division. :jawdrop: I guess those Windows phones are flying off the shelves.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/news/press/2014/jul14/07-17announcement1.aspx

2. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

There goes Nokia X...

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I'm not so sure. It seems RT was just a straight architecture port of windows with a bit of optimisation.

Just because it's running on arm doesn't make it a light weight OS all of a sudden.

My guess is once you load it up with desktop software (if you were allowed to) it would run just like any other windows install on low powered hardware.

Could be why they locked the desktop out in the first place. The metro stuff is designed from the ground up to be suited for such devices. The desktop not so much.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

True, but publishers could make the decision what software to release for RT. And with the new ARM chips being insanely powerful it would not have been a problem.

5. impar

impar Minimodder

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Saving the return of the start menu for Windows 9 was almost a given, they have to have something to take the attention away from the new DRM system.

7. impar

impar Minimodder

8. koola

koola Minimodder

[​IMG]

9. loftie

loftie Multimodder

So you'd have MS stick to Windows, Windows RT and Windows Phone?

10. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

11. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

IMHO most people/web sites jumped on the part when Nadella said "converged operating system" and assumed we would all be using the exact same OS on everything, they missed the part later on when he elaborated on what he meant by "converged operating system" ZDNet's MJ Foley gives a good explanation (imho)

12. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Yea, this is what I was seeing and also assumed it were true. Thanks for clearing that up people.

13. koola

koola Minimodder

Yes, but innovate more not merely follow competitors. Windows RT should be renamed Windows Touch exclusively on tablets with no X86 touch versions.
    Windows RT wasn't a bad product, it just didn't get the full support from Microsoft it so badly needed. Windows phone needs better hardware software synergy as current implementations fall far too short of the competition.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I think it's funny that after Nadella's "cloud first, mobile first" speech he is doing just the opposite of what he should be doing to make that vision a reality.

Cloud first? How about getting a decent music service going, which is one of the prime mobile cloud services. The Zune team made one of the best music app and device combinations in the world. It was better than iTunes. Microsoft canned it. Now we have... XBox music.

But no fear: Nokia's MixRadio is a great application. Oh, wait, we're getting rid of that team. In fact, Nokia has made some excellent Windows Phone apps... No, wait, that team is going too. And Nokia makes some excellent mobile hardware... uh, OK, that team is going also.

So what is Microsoft doing to strenghten its position with regards the competition? Oh, it created Office Touch for iPad, and Android. Yay! But... not for Windows. And it's own Surface Mini has been canned because of that. Right.

And Windows 9 so far looks like it still has the same inconsistent chrome between WinRT and Win32 applications. Google meanwhile has just out-Metro'd Metro with Android L and is converging it with Chrome. It's a good thing though, that Microsoft spent millions in advertising explaining just how bad Chromebook is, so that everybody now knows what a Chromebook is.

15. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

At this point it's almost too late. Everyone knows about iTunes (which works across platforms) while Google and Amazon have a head start with their respective music services (I believe Amazon's service is also cross-platform). Beyond that, you have services such as Pandora and Spotify which offer people all the music they could possibly want, for free if you're ok with the occasional short ad.

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

17. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

No they don't. This article is full of assumptions, based on silly guess works.

The only times that Microsoft wanted you to forget about one of their product is the Zune and Windows Me, which has been pulled from all marketing materials, off the website, despite the product being released (at the time) and available for purchase, unless you explicit look for it.

This is really not the case. Vista isn't even getting that treatment.

Please use your head, next time. And stop trying to search the far edge of the Internet for Windows bashing articles.

18. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Isnt?

19. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Nope. Microsoft does mention Vista in some marketing materials.
    For example, at the release of Windows 8, I believed or was it BUILD event that showed Windows 8, either way, they were showing all the company products since it's creation. Windows Me and Zune was not showed. Vista was.

20. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Isn't = Is not.