1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other TV Licensing & Harassment

Discussion in 'General' started by Guest-23315, 18 Jul 2014.

1. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

TV licencing is a funny issue. My brother in law had EXACTLY the same issue. He has no television connected to an aerial or satellite and doesn't watch live broadcasts, only stuff like youtube or videos he's downloaded. They actually sent someone over because they were 'suspicious'. He had to fill out that form that someone posted, telling them you don't need one.

2. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

Honestly the fact it's a criminal offence to not have a TV license in this country is ridiculous.

I for one am not happy about giving my hard earned money to the BBC pedo ring

Sent from my SM-T325 using Tapatalk

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

IIRC they were planning to bump it down to a civil offence... Dunno whether there was anything to it or not...

4. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Haha yes I do know that ;)

5. moose67

moose67 Minimodder

Stop funding paedo organisations everyone!

*Edit* and while I come to think about it, can you stop voting for them as well please :clap:

6. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I could manage without a tv I only ever have it on as background noise the stuff on it is rubbish.

Don't know why I bought a new one really.

7. RTT

RTT #parp

Yeah. Massively common misconception that simply owning a TV = TV license required :duh: I bet they make millions from that misunderstanding

8. RedFlames

It's not helped when big chain stores turn reound to you and say 'give us your address so we can tell the TV liscencing lot you've just bought a TV'...

... **** off on so mnay levels

9. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

Retailers are required to take your details when selling you a TV (edit: this requirement was removed in 2013). Even Amazon passed my info onto the licencing bods.

Sure, in the past, a TV was for watching broadcasts, so I can understand why. But these days it's increasingly common to use them as monitors for console gaming, so there's no need to put people on a list of suspects.

Personally I'd choose the silent treatment. No need to go putting your name and address on Capita's database for no reason. From several years' experience, all they will do is send you a series of letters, with the possibility of a visit (this is rare - when it did happen to me, I wasn't at home, but be careful what you say to the hired goons if you do answer the door). You're not watching TV, so there's not much to worry about. Good luck!

Last edited: 19 Jul 2014
  10. t4n6o

t4n6o You know when you've been tangoed

I had the same issue last month, I got a letter saying that I needed one, so I phoned up the TV licencing people and got a very understanding lady on the other end, I explained my situation - same as yours - I have a 40" TV, however there are no aerial attached as I don't watch TV programs, it is connected to my PC which is used for general internet searching ( for information) facebook etc and my Blu-ray is attached to it for my DVD's and the occaisional console if I ever have friends round.

To which the lovely lady replied, that's fine , you meet the criteria for not needing one, however surveyor (type person) may come round just to check, so far no one has called and TBH I don't think they will now.

11. RTT

RTT #parp

I've had two visits (same situation as you - declared I don't need one) -- each time I just politely told them that I wouldn't be letting them in and off they went

A handy way around this was, when retailers used to do this, just give them an address which you know to be licensed (in my case, my parents). If it was an online purchase I'd just get it delivered to work/parents instead

12. MadDogg

MadDogg Sofa King Awesome

TV license? Another example of British humor?

13. RedFlames

Pfft, i usually just make **** up... same with market researchers and chuggers who won't take '**** off' as an answer

14. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum