1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Codemasters offers refunds for Colin McRae Rally

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 Aug 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. huguberhart

huguberhart What's a Dremel?

That's good. Now they should step up on Steamworks Dirt 3 integragtion.

3. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Yeah! Going to get my money back...

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

So a few things:

First of all, if anyone expected this to be an HD remake, they should have seen from the screenshots in Steam that this wasn't the case. If they didn't know what the '98 game looked like, why do they care if it was a remake or not? The game is cheap and probably still better than the old one anyway.

Second, while I think Codemasters is a great development team in general, I think it was nice of them to offer the refunds. If this were someone else like EA, I doubt they'd allow this. CM is one of the few companies that's been around for a while and actually does a good job at listening to customers and cares about their image.

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Ahem.

6. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I wish they would re-release the 1998 title as that was absolutely booming. I used to take it in turns playing it with my dad.

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Yeah.... 1 week total waiting time is a pretty small window. I guess it's better to have the option than not at all, but for some people on slower connections, it can take an entire week to get a game. The 24 hours after first playing the game sounds nice, but if there's some hardware fault that gets in the way then that doesn't give you much time.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Really? Titanfall is one of the biggest downloads on Origin, at 21GB. If it took a week - not more than a week, exactly a week - to download 21GB, you'd have a 573Kb/s connection. The average UK connection speed is, according to Ofcom's May data, 14.7Mb/s. Even in rural areas, Ofcom's figures suggest a 9.9Mb/s average - up from a still-more-than-enough 4.1Mb/s in May 2011. I'd suggest that if you have a sub-600Kb/s connection, you're better off just buying a physical disc at retail - and you're almost certainly going to be aware of that.

9. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

You don't need to be that familiar or even to have played the original to know that it's an excellent game and want to play a remake of it.

Handling in racing games hasn't actually moved on that much - see GP Legends et al. The game was a sim with realistic physics and highly rated handling. As far as I can the the iOS game is your typical semi-on-rails touch screen racing game.

If you wanted and though you were buying a remake of the original (which would be easy to think give the original presentation on steam) the game you got was NOT better.

I wish Value followed GOG and Origin in having a refund system in place. Given that a game is tied to an account and DRM'd there's no good reason not to.
    Hell, GOG do it without any DRM at all, but I guess they have good will and trust on their side :rock:

Even a one hour play time (after downloading I suppose) would give you a chance to make sure things work as you expected and remove stupid situations like this.

10. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

You're mixing bits and bytes. Connections are measured in raw bits per second. According to Akamai, the global average connection speed is 3.9Mb/s. That's 499.2KBytes/sec. 21GB is 21,504MB (Which is 22,020,096 KB)., and would take 12.25 hours of non-stop downloading at peak rate and saturating the line completely. I'm not sure where you got your 573Kb/s number.

11. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Last edited: 6 Aug 2014
  12. Gareth Halfacree

You (and Anakha) are right: I made a mistake in the sums. I didn't confuse KB and Kb (this ain't my first rodeo), but must have fat-fingered an entry at some point along the line. (I didn't think of using Wolfram Alpha - I did it by hand!)

So, it's even more unlikely than I thought: you'd need a 256Kb/s or lower connection to take longer than a week.

EDIT: Now I'm off that conference call, I can figure out what happened: 573Kb/s (rounded up from 572.something) over the period of a week would equal 41GB - so I'm guessing when I was entering "21" at the start of my calculation I fat-fingered the numberpad and actually entered "41" by mistake, then proceeded with the various multiplications (times by 1024, times by 1024, times by 8) to get kilobits without noticing. Whoopsie!

Last edited: 6 Aug 2014
  13. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

It's a sad day when a company doing the right thing is actually news worthy.

14. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

True, though the truly mouth-vomit worthy element to this story is the very idea of porting from iOS to x86/Steam in the first place *gags*

Not only are they rehashing ancient IP, they're being lazy about it too. You thought console-to-PC ports were bad....MOBILE-to-PC ports are an abomination!

15. blackworx

blackworx Cable Wrangler

Amen. Best arcade rally game ever imho. All the crap they've added since (especially in Dirt) just annoys the hell out of me. They got the balance almost perfect in that game. Sadly I've never been able to get it to work properly on W7, despite reports from plenty people saying it works fine. Graphical glitches (missing textures) and audio problems left right and centre. Must give it another go sometime as I'm pretty sure I've changed most of my hardware since the last time I tried.