1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Elite - Dangerous by David Braben

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 6 Nov 2012.

1. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

2. timmehtimmeh

timmehtimmeh Minimodder

Is is anyone playing tonight? Want to do some trade runs or pirating? Myself and a friend will be on from 7pm

Iain

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Totally justified.

4. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

got home around 3pm,
    spent some time in game sorting out hotas, fixed the axis sensitivity issue, swatting up on the ins and outs, galaxy map in the dk2 is sick, all menus in the dk2 are sick, this is the future of gaming, hugely impressive game play.

this has proper positional tracking and it is mind blowing, I spent minutes just sitting there looking at the menus, just looking at the menus in the dk2 in the void was like the next coming.

This is a generational jump in gaming entertainment, just ridiculously awesome.
    Really needs to be seen to be believed.

If you cant afford a rift dk2, put your money together with your buddy's.

Also stupid comment, but the author of this game really knows what he is doing, I hope to follow this game along that's for sure, I also still have lots to learn but I'm happy with my session this evening I covered quite a lot.

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Braben impresses a very strong sense of direction for the game when I've seen him in the various video logs for Elite Dangerous.

6. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

The Cobra's a nice ship, can roll profit from trading of 25k per short run. Big engine is quick, hyper's a long way and has lots of fuel.

The Class-4 rail gun is a beast; Beware of heading straight at someone with one of those suckers.

7. Nexxo

He has had 30 years to think about it. It's only now that technology has caught up sufficiently for him to be able to start realising his vision --and also the means for funding it.

Braden is building his dream game. It has been a dream shared with every ELITE player out there since they loaded their New Commander (Y/N) for the first time. There is an article in The Games Machine magazine from 1988 that fantasised about an ELITE-like sim which you would play online in a vast shared galaxy with and against other players (this was still 8 years before the web) and in which you could communicate with them. Now it is actually happening.

And I swear, when I see ED it's sometimes as if Braden looked inside my head.

Landy_Ed likes this.
  8. BradShort

BradShort Familyman - Forever gamer

Spent all night looking at Unidentified sources and only found security force ships, no cargo or loot. Did find a wanted Hauler that I destroyed, but only netted me 660creds.

Trading is slow means of earning I'm finding, also starting to notice more pirates hanging around outside docks!

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

The Beta is still limited in terms of actual game - the basic mechanics and gameplay are there, but it's pretty clear the mechanics that keep you playing over months/years are still to come (more in depth trading, missions etc). Right now the only thing you can do is amass piles of money that will get wiped anyway.

10. Nexxo

Bit like real life, then. :p

11. Bungletron

Bungletron Minimodder

I tried it, I could not get to show much more than 5 systems. Slopeys windows tool just got updated and is now pretty reliable.

Guess I will have to get one, lucky you...

Took me a few days to go from the Hauler (the cockpit looks like Transit van and horrible) to the Cobra. Was able to buy the Lakon Type 6 a few hours after the Cobra, the Cobra is proper useful. The Cobra is great, I will probably make a modest nest egg and go back to it I think...

12. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

My Joystick just arrived :)

Very much looking forward to learning to fly properly with it, so much potential.

Have Frontier revealed if progress will be reset between beta updates and full release?

13. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

I don't think they've said anything officially but it almost certainly will be reset.

14. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Didn't it get confirmed last week? Either way, yes, there will be.

15. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Assumed so but hoped otherwise :D

I got the docking computer, works perfectly on the Coriolis Stations but had some issues with it struggling on the some of the other types I visited.

It's going to be a good year for PC Games :)

16. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yes, characters will be reset - probably at least two more times before launch.

17. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

18. Nexxo

When you watch something like this, you realise the stunning level of detailed world-building in this game (must play full-screen):

19. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

Well, I just got an expensive lesson about not being an idiot in space........

Managed to get myself a Cobra MkIII and decided to go to the conflict zone at Eranin 2. Managed to get into a head on collision with a Federation ship going all gung-ho and BOOM.....

Ship destroyed....... To make it worse I didn't have enough to cover the insurance :duh:

Time to start over in the sidewinder :D

20. timmehtimmeh

timmehtimmeh Minimodder

Yep I realised that was all I could enjoy in the Beta. Doing the flying from a to b trading meaningless supplies 4 at a time didnt seem like much fun to me.

I spent hours waiting around for player ships outside Azerban City to burn them, we only found one :(