1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying for a loan, what do they want from me?!

Discussion in 'Serious' started by pete*, 24 Jun 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Even at that it'd be a sight cheaper to own overall than a £15k car. Don't fancy the fuel costs or insurance though.....

Personally, I think the Peugot 308SW 1.6 110 eHDI is an ideal 2nd hand buy since the new model came out, and the late 507 or 508 with high miles are great value too, falling into the £6k-£7k bracket for the 508 with some haggling.

How anyone defines Prestige is arguable though. BMW are a prestige brand, for sure, and Minis are certainly not as common as Ford Fiestas.

2. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

Teelzebub likes this.
  3. pete*

pete* Something witty here.

I wish I knew how to multi quote on my phone lol

@Ljs I am indeed taking everything onboard that people are saying on here. :)
    @sandys I know, I just get stuck in an "I want!" Phase. I'm not one to jump into anything too
    quickly. I always ponder, um, and ah over pretty much everything. So I am trying to take my time
    Deciding. (The influence OH's can have).

@lysaer No, I'm ok thanks for the offer though. Epsom is about 250 miles away. ;)

@alphaangel wow, thanks for that :I I'll have a look. It isn't me that needs convincing.
    I don't want SPEED. But a bit of grunt so it feels more effortless for the engine would just
    be very nice.
    All those you posted would do me. Just wouldn't be high enough (to get into) for OH. And
    probably lack other features he'd complain about too. Needs a fking belting.

@jim pretty much nail on the head for me. I am not massively bothered about the car I drive.
    Maybe more so than you :D but I can do with having a not-so-desirable car while waiting for house
    And then when able to upgrade to a more desirable car.
    OH just wants everything including mp3/iPhone USB connection. But that can easily
    be sorted with aftermarket stereos so I'm not bothered about that.
    I miss my old first car a '98 peugeot 106! It is still running perfectly too. I wish is never sold it. And
    that had literally nothing. Haha.

Ha the prestige car :p nah think I'll give that a miss. :)
    There's some nice looking VW Passats at 4-5k range though.

Anyhow, thinking this needs more sense being beaten into the OH as that is the main cause for not
    being able to just get a sensible car.

Sorry if I've missed anyone out.

4. Risky

Risky Modder

When looking at cars you can get a bit lost in the specs and end up thinking "Lets buy that one for £1500 more because it has a satnav and ipod connection".

Try and think hang on, for a franction of that much I can get a fancy aftermarket ipod thingy and a brand new satnav that will be a lot fancier that the one there and cost less to update the maps.

Becasue everything with cars costs so much you can lose sight of reality and end up thinking you got a bargain becuase the car was loaded with fancy bling you didn't really need.

5. shah

shah Minimodder

2nd that above. Just look for the bare minimum you need in a car as cars are only there to get from A to B. You wouldn't live in a car so spend wisely. I would rather have a house then a good car but it all depends on priorities.

6. gagaga

gagaga Minimodder

Yup

Go cheap, and put the difference into a saving account. In three years, see if you want to spend that hard earned/saved cash on a flash car ... I bet you'll decide against it and get another banger. It's always harder spending what you have got than what you haven't...

7. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

No problem man

Sent from my SM-T325 using Tapatalk

8. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

A friend of mine who works as some manager earns about £26,000 she bought a car off a neighbour...£300.

£15,000 car.

"champagne taste on a beer salary"

9. happyhammer7

happyhammer7 What's a Dremel?

Thought I would throw my 2 cents in. I work as a personal banker for one of the big boys and one of the products I deal with regularly is unsecured personal loans. To borrow 100% of your annual salary is bonkers. No responsible lender would take that risk on without security. Credit score is simply irrelevant in this case, its based purely on affordability. I have seen people struggle to borrow £20k who are on a much higher salaries in this current market.

5 years ago? Probably would of been throw at you left right and centre. Today, the belts have been fastened. To be honest, in the future you will probably be thankful for it.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but I am only basing this on my personal experience within the industry.

All the best

10. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Sorry gotta call BS on this. @ 70mph maybe, but not 60mpg at 125mph. PS admitting to doing that on a public forum is a major derp.

11. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Sorry gotta call you a major know all that knows f'all there's only one person that knows and that ain't you, admitting to doing those speeds on the forum is no biggie no one knows who I am so what you going to do, and I certainly don't care what you think I've been driving longer than most of you have been alive bty I hit 130 the other day :p

Last edited: 9 Aug 2014
  12. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Proof of a sustained 125mph @ 60mpg or gtfo. I really can't stand people that lie to make themselves look better, all it does it make you look like an idiot. 130mph wow you rebel. I have a car that will exceed 160mph but you don't see me willy waving.

13. Teelzebub

Proof you have a willy big enough to wave or gtfo you don't look like a idiot you are one, enough said now go get a magnifying glass and find your willy lol bet you have a moped really

Last edited: 9 Aug 2014
  14. Carrie

Carrie Multimodder

Just because you're in a bad mood or life isn't going your way doesn't mean you have to be a nasty $hit. I assure you Tel simply drives like a bloody lunatic - I have been unfortunate enough to experience it first hand :p

15. Teelzebub

Thanks Carrie I think lol

Tbh the car surprised me how good it is once you get it in 6th gear it's come in to its own.

Theres a lot of people drive at high speed on the motorway in between cameras that is

16. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Next time your doing 201 KPH on the motorway you could take out your phone and take a snapshot of your on-board with the efficiency readout.

17. Teelzebub

Yeah, not really a clever thing to do at those speeds

18. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

To be fair, 125mph is no big deal. I once did that in my Vauxhall Nova 1.5 TDI. It was my first car and it was awesome. Cheap to run, cheap to insure, cheap to service, but with a massively overspecced engine, it just kept on going. Don't know what fuel economy it achieved, though --this was before trip computers.

Disclaimer: I did that speed on a straight run of empty motorway in the evening, in dry and clear conditions. Since then I've grown up and realise what a tin can that car was, and how poor its suspension, and would not recommend anyone to try the same.

Currently I drive a 4x4 Skoda Yeti 2.0 TDI 140 HP. It has insanely good fuel economy: 45mpg in dense city traffic, 60mpg in a free run. Don't speed on motorways though --I am not in such a rush anymore.

19. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Yeah I drive a moped :/. Not being nasty really, just think 60mpg @ sustained 125mph (long enough to get an accurate reading) is complete BS. I know what I drive, and hell I'm lucky to see 25mpg. So if your reading is accurate/true then fair play to you, at 125mph Ide be pulling about 15mpg maybe slightly more ?

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Depends on the gearbox ratio and momentum. And of course on whether the trip computer can still make sense of data from a remapped engine at such extreme speeds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.