1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Corsair Carbide Series Air 240 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Combatus, 15 Aug 2014.

1. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The Want is strong with this one, although I'll prob go for the white one.

3. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

That is a nice looking case

4. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

Nice review but I am more excited about the 380t, any chance of a preview/review soon?

5. Combatus

Maybe ;)

6. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I think it's as ugly as hell the "traditional" way up, but I'd like to see what happens to the thermals if you flip it so that the window is on top, I think it looks much nicer like that!

7. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

That leads to just one problem, the front usb ports end up at the bottom, so its only an option if you place the case on top of something.

[​IMG]

Pic from the Corsair site.

Last edited: 16 Aug 2014
  8. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

I must say this is an interesting case, but with a half height rad+fans in the front what is the absolute max length of card you can have? Could you fit narrower fans to gain space (or do the half-height rads come with those already)?

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

It says 290mm max graphicscard length in both the review and on corsair site, however neither of them mention if that 290mm is measured when there are fans in the front or not.

So you have to assume the worst case, which means with a fan in the front you loose 25mm reducing the max length for the graphicscard to 265mm.
    Then you loose 38mm for a rad.

So its 227mm max.

Meaning the Asus GTX760-DC2-2GD5 (not to be confused with other Asus GTX760 Cards) is the highest end Gpu that can be fitted if you want a 240 rad in the front. Luckily you can fit two of them (if you use a matx board) which leaves you with enough performance to run recent games at resolutions slightly above 1080p.

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Did you go to the Corsair site?

Did you look at the gallery for the Air 240?

Didn't spot the GTX 780 installed alongside a H100i with push/pull fans, which still had around 15mm-20mm clearance?

11. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Of course I did go to the Corsair website.

However as I said, it is not declared if there was anything installed in the front when the 290mm max graphicscard length was measured.

If you deduct the 2 x 25mm for push pull fans and the 27mm rad thickness (based on the extra slim rad of the H100i) from the 290mm max graphicscard length you'll find there is no room for a 780ti (based on reference design or bigger).

A 780ti is 263mm long according to the MSI Website: http://uk.msi.com/product/vga/GTX_780Ti_3GD5.html#hero-specification

12. David

Why are you deducting from the 290mm? I get that it doesn't state if the max length accounts for a rad and fan width, but it clearly does accommodate cards of that length - the reference versions of the 780, the 780Ti and the Titan are all the same length - 267mm

Add 50mm for the two fans in that pic, and 27mm for the H100i rad, plus (let's be conservative) 10mm clearance in that pic. Thats 354mm.

Knock off 25mm for a fan and 38mm for a thicker rad and you're left with a maximum of 291mm.

13. David

What fuss? It's a discussion forum, and I believe we were discussing something.

But thanks for stepping in to resolve the "fuss that never was" :lol: :p

14. Combatus

True but mine's always been on the floor - more desk space and less noise :D

15. Combatus

On a side note, I've just built a water-cooling system into this case based around a mini-ITX motherboard. I've got an XSPC RX240 rad in the front with two fans and a second rad - single 120mm in the second compartment exhausting out the side panel in front of the PSU. Laing DDC with pump top res in the windowed chamber behind the radiator and I'm water-cooling the CPU and GPU. Not bad for such a small case.

Main issues are the width of the windowed chamber - leaves very little room for barbs on the edge of a GPU waterblock. In fact, I had to remove the angled EK bridge from my 660 Ti waterblock as it wouldn't fit. Also, my pump+top res is quite tall and mounting this in front of the rad means you're resigned to short PCB cards only (Nvidia 650, 660, 750, 760 for example). If anyone has any specific measurement/fitment requests drop me a line!

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Ahh, so you did actually understand what I posted, yes that was precisely the reason why I deducted it, too many case manufacturers make fake claims about rad compability, so I'm always on the side of caution.
    Happy I was wrong in this case (excuse the pun), cause that means my old long graphicscard will fit when overclockers eventually get around to shipping my case at the end of sept lol.

17. Combatus

Ah cunning. I've got a shelf/hutch thing unfortunately otherwise I'd have tried that! Wow you desk is super-deep! Just measured mine and it's about 80cm, minus the hutch!

18. abezors

abezors Lurking since '08

It was a toss-up between the Air 240 and the Fractal Node 804 - I went for the latter in the end, simply because it looks less "gamer case" and a little bit more understated. Plus a brushed metal vs ribbed plastic front panel.

Tags: Add Tags