1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi Elite - Dangerous by David Braben

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jedra, 6 Nov 2012.

1. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Just got my Viper MK. III and it feels like the shackles have come off during space flight.

Ran circles around a Cobra MK. III, only problem being that if you overload the Viper with weaponry it severely hampers its jump range. Currently looking for a happy medium with my payload! :D

2. Steelez

Steelez Minimodder

Just quit my long term MMORPG (World of Warcraft) and tempted to pick this up, but the initial cost of the game + beta + joystick is putting me off slightly, I'm so old school my last joystick was serial. I guess I could go serial > usb converter. I am so more on the Elite side because of nostalgia and these guys really know what they are doing.

3. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

"I'm so old school my last joystick was serial. I guess I could go serial > usb converter. "

this is really great and made me smile this morning :thumb:

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

"I quit my crack cocaine addiction and am tempted to try heroin..." :p

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Nice example of divergent gameplay today! :D

Picked up some cargo from iBootis (Fish) that always fetches a good price so jumped to Asellus Primus with the aim of selling my gear and pick up some Gimballed Burst Lasers whilst I was there. Happened upon an 'Unidentified Signal Source' which turned out to be a lonesome Haulier. Just when I turned my back a couple of Pirates (Sidewinder & Cobra) dropped out of Supercruise and attacked the Haulier which promptly dropped its cargo of Battle Weapons. I engaged the Sidewinder whilst it was attacking the Haulier and easily took it out. The Haulier escaped leaving the Cargo, a remaining Cobra MK. III and myself. Fired up my lateral thrusters and strafed the Cobra MK. III to destruction. Dumped a couple of tons of Fish in exchange for the more lucrative Battle Weapons.

Being aware Beagle Landing routinely run scans on docking ships I jumped to the anarchy system LP 98-132. Sold my 'Stolen' Battle Weapons for a tidy sum on the black market in Freeport where I also cleared my inventory of Fish for a profit!

6. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

Finally the Thrustmaster 1600 has arrived from dabs. Now time to get it configured and lear to play again with a stick..... Will try the bounty hunter route this time as I stupidly destroyed my ship a few days ago......

7. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

The T-1600M is very good with this game. Remember to install the joysticks drivers then you can create a custom profile for it directly in the game. You can also rename the custom binding file to T-1600M which is nice! :D

Just find the custom file here...

C:\Users\<Your Username>\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

Copy it to your desktop, rename it T1600M and then paste it back to the above folder!

Bit of advice; Bind your lateral thrust flight controls to the T-1600M hat, makes landing and combat easy on the hand!

8. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

Thanks Blogins

Saw a quick vid earlier about using the hat for lateral thrusters. Gonna have a play later and get the buttons sorted out. Thanks for the tip on the config file...

9. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

I quite liked using slopey's windows client in local mode. It kept the fun in exploring whilst not forcing you to remember what are good products to transport.

10. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

To be fair the inbuilt Galactic Map shows the trade routes straight off the bat.

It's a pleasure to use in itself! :thumb:

11. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

It does show you what commodities you could transport, but doesn't indicate how profitable they are. The high supply/high demand thing isn't right.

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

I've noticed that changes on an hourly basis! The run between Asellus Primus and Dahan isn't as profitable as it used to be with Resonating Separators. Turned to Bounty Hunting now anyway!

13. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

I avoid Dahan now, laggy as hell that server with the high population there, dificult to get a landing pad too. It is a destination that's been replaced by the more distant Surya for me.

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

A bit like Oursulaert in EVE then, before they remapped the gateways. That was a busy system.

15. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Good business in slaves. Rescued 4 containers from the void and sold them in Freeport for 20,000 credits!

16. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Good tip there. I have flown with my t1600m a little and I like it allot, very smooth, good resistance but landing was a bit of a pain.
    The hat for lateral movement sounds like it could solve that annoyance :)

17. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

I've been using it the last few days and I'm struggling to get on with it. Maybe I'm just used to a keyboard and mouse but I think it makes landing harder even with the lateral thrust on the hat.....

It does make combat easier but overall I'm not seeing much of an improvement to game play yet...

I'll give it another couple of days before I decide.

18. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Seriously, stick with joysticks. It may take a while to get used to, but you'll be thankful in the long run.

I have landing controls allocated to HATs. One hat controls lateral and vertical thrust, another does vertical. This way I just floor it in to the vague area of the pad (once the UI flips to landing mode) and shut down the engines. After that, a few seconds of juggling with the two HATs and I'm down on the pad. Really easy, haven't crashed for a long long time.

19. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

Thanks Cei, I'll stick with it for a while, I think my problem is the stick always moves back to the neutral/centre position, and may be a little to sensitive for my ham-fisted ways. I don't have this issue with the mouse and I think that's what I'm struggling with.

Will keep at it for a few more days, I'm sure I'll get used to it......

20. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Yeah, all sticks will return to centre - but how aggressively depends on the stick. Some can be modified to your preference, or come with variable strength springs etc.