1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows Threshold tech preview rumoured for October

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 18 Aug 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Superfluous "Phone"?

Aside from the return of the Start Menu, is much more known about Windows 9? I'm guessing that it's much more of an iterative release (like the 95-97-ME cycle) rather than a major update?

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Aye - I'll fix that. (Just been setting up a Nokia Lumia 1020 for the missus, so Windows Phone has been on my mind!)

4. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I wish MS would get their act together, since they took over Nokia everything on the Windows Phone front seems to have gone real quiet.

5. 01thogil

01thogil What's a Dremel?

I think you might be missing a verb.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

They announced they are stopping people from using Skype on Windows phone 7, does that count ?
    Or are we only talking about WP 8.

7. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Do people still own Windows Phone 7 mobiles?

8. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

*raises hand*

I tend to use things until they break!

No big deal, the 800 didn't have a front-facing camera anyways. Presumably third-party apps will still work?

9. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Only if they were built for WP7.

10. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I mean there was supposed to be this big WP 8.1 launch alongside the 'new' app store with new hardware across the board and what do we get? A staggered roll out of 8.1, an almost silent launch of the app store (if I am correct that, that has even happened?) and as for the hardware we get a rehash of a phone (albeit with an upgraded quad processor) that doesn't even have the full monty camera and a few low-mid range offerings with no news about anything coming any time soon. I can't even find any news about new WP devices coming from other manufactures any more. Q2 was supposed to be big for WP and here we are, half way through Q3 and nothing... WP is great, I believe this and the phones are good... but they still seem to be at least 1 step behind. Now we have Microsoft's XBox world seemingly unraveling at the seams as first they sell the XBoxOne without Kinect and now they are selling off a dept that was a major selling point for them in the first place. I am looking to get a console this coming Christmas and it is not that I like the PS4, it's just that I see more and more reason not to buy an XBox.

11. Gareth Halfacree

I accidentally a word! Fixed, ta.

Is Windows Phone 8.1 still a staggered roll-out? Was offered it out-the-box on the Lumia 1020 - which, I note, is now £254 at Tesco after I paid £290 (plus delivery) at Amazon, dammit.

12. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Yes it's a staggered roll-out. My CV 920 is still waiting for it.

I don't think the new app store was supposed to be out with 8.1, I believe that's for threshold.

Edit: £254 for the yellow 1020, so want.