1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Haswell Extreme launching Aug 29th!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheGreatSatan, 18 Aug 2014.

1. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

Start the countdown to Haswell Extreme, launching on Aug 29th! You'll need X99 motherboards and DDR4 memory too!

2. rollo

rollo Modder

So you will need a big budget.

3. TheGreatSatan

4. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Ouch.

5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I was wondering when DDR4 would hit a platform. Looks like I've found my next build?

6. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Looking at the voltages that DDR4 runs at, a heatspreader is not required but all the ram seems to have it and you are paying for it.

Cheapest I can find with a heat spreader is £180 for 16Gb 2400Mhz

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-176-CR&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=2557

Motherboards apparently are going to be in excess of £240 for Mid-Range.

The 5930K is apparently going to be £480.

You would be looking at basically £900 to £1K for the board, chip and ram and I could upgrade to it in October but I need a better monitor first.

7. TheGreatSatan

I'll be getting the 5960x, a Gigabye X99-UD4, and 16GB to start

8. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

@jrs77: that won't happen for one, very simple reason - S2011 is damn huge, and there wouldn't be enough space for anything else.

Edit: Just to be complete :
    [​IMG]

ITX ends at the middle hole, that is the 17x17cm size of a mATX board. So yeah, you could cut back on the power (or put it on daughterboard like ASUS does on some of ITX boards. That would solve the problem with the power lanes, so CPU and RAM could move more towards the back panel. But you would still be limited to only 4 memory channels, you would have no space for the PCI-E lanes, no space for any connectors...

Simply put, it is impossible. The closest to ITX was the Shuttle X79 board for their barebones :
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Aug 2014
  9. rollo

rollo Modder

5930k not been 8 cores means anyone wanting the 8core is looking at north of £1600 for the 3 items.

10. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I was thinking that I might go X99 when it dropped, but at that price, I think I'll wait!

11. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I was planning on ditching my i7 920 setup and moving to x99 and DDR4 at the end of the year as well as getting the AOC 34" monitor as my next overhaul, but damn those prices...

12. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

Just...no.

13. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I will be going for the 8 core next year but only if the prices fall because if the cpu is anything from £800 to £1000 next year, then Intel can go and swivel.

I know competition drives price down but seriously Intel need to wake up because the prices of the Extreme cpu's are always rediculous.

14. rollo

rollo Modder

Intel has no reason to drop prices if anything the CPU will be above £1000 just cause they don't want it to be to cheap vs Xeon range. Competition died many years ago. People will buy it no matter price and when your only going to sell a small few anyway may as well charge a lot .

15. faugusztin

I don't know what did you guys expect. There could be a minor motherboard price drop in next months, a major DDR4 RAM price drop, and that is it.

Intel Extreme CPU was always priced $1000 for a decade now and maybe even more. Second from top was always priced around $500. Third top was always priced around $300. Why would suddenly Intel introduce a price drop they never really did before ? Especially when AMD has nothing even remotely close ?

At best you are looking at something like 100-150 GBP price drop in next few months, thanks to the increased DDR4 production.

16. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Perfectly timed. Need building work doing... The Micra needs new wheel bearings and tyres.. the Mustang has a puncture, and literally just this evening my fridge has decided to stop working.

:wallbash:

17. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

That's what I was thinking...

That's what I was thinking too

That's pretty much what I concluded

18. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

That's a good start for me, plus an early adopter selling a CPU = the best recipe :thumb:

19. faugusztin

I don't think there will be too much CPU selling, the only ones i can think of are the super rich computer fanatics binning among several pieces to get the best OC.

I am going after the middle model (Core i7-5930K). Already bought http://www.silentiumpc.com/en/aquarius-x90-pure-black/?lang=en for cheap :) (of course the crappy HDD bays and 5.25" bays are already gone), put in my 1TB SSD. Waiting for a nice Superflower 550W 80Plus Platinum PSU, Aquaero 5 LT, few of those superslim Silverstone SATA cables... Pretty much the only things remaining to be selected are the major ones outside the CPU - motherboard and RAM, plus few minor things like CPU cooler and fans. Graphics card can wait until new NVIDIA cards come out, meanwhile i could use my spare GTX680 (or even longer :D).

To be honest, i am very surprised at the people reacting to the prices of these CPU - it's not like Intel doesn't have the same prices for over a decade :eyebrow:.

20. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Not really, look at the differences between the ~£420 Ivy-E and the £1000 Ivy-E, they are almost identical save for some minor clock speed difference.
    With Haswell-E however the 2nd most expensive model will be 2 cores short, which will make it much worse compared to the top end model.

So essentially you will no longer be able to save 50% by buying the £400 - 500 chip instead of the £1000 one without a significant performance trade off.