1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors £1000 car for short commute

Discussion in 'General' started by Ljs, 19 Aug 2014.

1. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

What's wrong witha Mk1/2 Mx5?

2. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Uneconomical and unreliable. Definitely not a short commuter car either, the engine needs to be brought right up to temperature or it can cause havoc.

3. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Absolutely nothing. I quite like Mx5s (not MK1s so much) but they hold quite a price tag. This was actually my first initial choice but I'd dearly love a Mk3.

Yeah, I also read this. :(

4. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

I'd rule out the MG and the Triumph straight away if you're trying to save for other things.

Whilst not the best looking cars in the world I'd probably go for a 106 or 306 you can get a Rallye for around £1k, probably more fun than any of the cars you've looked at.

5. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Well the thing is, it's something I could possibly add value to in drips and drabs and is another hobby to dabble in. Plus the fact they are awesome (If only I could find a running GT6 for 1k).

Been there, done that, want something different. :)

Just thought I'd bounce it off you guys as for the majority you seem to like your cars. I guess half it comes down to what is available when I decide to buy.

6. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

If you want to arrive dry, I can thoroughly recommend Berghaus waterproofs. Jacket and trousers will see you right (the latter just pop on over the top of your suit). They will last you years and many thousands of miles!

2 miles is an easy walk or cycle with the right equipment. Why clog the roads with another unnecessary journey by car?

7. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Because I'd like a car now.

8. MightyBenihana

MightyBenihana Do or do not, there is no try

I have to agree with the Ka suggestion. If you buy a cheap sporty car then get ready to spend the same again, if not a lot more on repairs, insurance, tax etc. And as said you will struggle to sell it on.

You seem to want two things though, something to get from A-B and something to have some fun in. You need to decide what you really want as your budget won't allow both with any reliability or added costs.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...s/maximum-mileage/up_to_60000_miles?logcode=p

if you want a bit more power and some extras then:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...s/maximum-mileage/up_to_60000_miles?logcode=p

When you have £5k then start looking for something more towards what you WANT rather than just NEED as is the case now, or appears to be.

9. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Have you looked at a 3 series BMW? Higher mileage E46s seem to be around a grand now.

I'm tempted by a RX8 every now and again, problem is always that they aren't exactly economical and they also don't like short runs.

As far as MX5s go, lovely little cars... Not sure I'd like one for use only on short winter commutes only though!

For some outside of the box thinking, how about an old 7 series, since like the RX8 there is very little demand and cheap ones do exist.

10. BennieboyUK

BennieboyUK CPC Folder of the Month Sep 2011

11. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Out the box thinking I like - kind of why I asked here! Thanks for the suggestion, I'll keep an eye out. I am partial to an MX-5, would be nice to have one to just enjoy at weekends too but getting one that isn't a complete shed for under 1k seems a difficult task!

Ohhhh, tidy! Seems to fit the bill - not sure I need 5 doors, still good economy and a bit more luxury. Nice.

12. S1W1

S1W1 Minimodder

Avoid the RX8 - they're great cars, but any for £1000 will have done too many miles and are likely to be plagued by engine trouble (the Wankel rotary engines are really, really fussy and don't like short journeys either).

A 147 (make sure it's petrol rather than diesel given your short commute) is a good bet if you can find one with a good service history. Equally, if you like Alfas you can get a nice GTV 2.0 Twin Spark for your budget - lovely cars to drive and fairly reliable (far more so than Alfa's unfair reputation would suggest) - providing it's got a good history and the timing belt has been changed recently.

Avoid buying high mileage examples of premium cars like BMW, Audi or Mercedes - the maintenance cost will be too high (and for this reason the previous owner is unlikely to have spent much on maintenance). Trust me - I recently bought a 100,000 mile BMW 330ci for significantly more than £1000 and I've already spent about £1500 making it good.

Anyway, hope that helps. You can get a good car for £1000 if you know where to look - I recommend an old Alfa.

13. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Don't get a big german car, they're only really fun on the motorway.

14. GaryP

GaryP RIP Tel

Because they are basically rolling scrappers. Google hot start problem and you will see why ! Mazda should be totally held accountable.

15. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

It might well be cheaper to get a taxi the ~30 days or so its raining?

16. SuperHans123

SuperHans123 Multimodder

17. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Because while the short commute may be the main use of the car, the benefits and additional independence it brings (especially living in the middle of nowhere) is huge.

I would have thought that much is obvious. You are welcome to sell your cars though and cycle/walk/use public transport if you are that passionate about it.

No? Didn't think so.

18. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

OP avatar is appropriate.

19. Beasteh

Beasteh What's a Dremel?

If my commute was only 2 miles, I sure as hell wouldn't be driving. Most posters have pointed out that it's bad for the car, bad for you and it's bad for people around you.

Have a car for independence, but for the commute? Smiffy's got you sussed.

20. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Yes, I'm sure you leave your car at home for anything under 5 miles. :rolleyes: