1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Competition Wired2Fire Multiplay Raffle: Win this amazing water-cooled PC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 18 Aug 2014.

1. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

@Dogbert666
    After your comment I went and had a look to reacquaint myself and I have to admit that all the recent articles are present, so I do apologise for the 'handful of article updates' as obviously that opinion is outdated.
    It is still my opinion that it is limited, but that isn't entirely Bit-Tech's fault as I understand that you can't just replicate this website through Facebook. However, I also do not see anything about the Bit-Tech page to make it stand out against the actual website. I mean what is the point of it, apart from gaining a larger audience for the website? The articles are the same, but there is so much more available through the website so that anyone who ever visits here has absolutely no reason to follow the page. Which makes it rather stagnant. Again, it is understandable but even the interaction is often rather dead as you can ask a question on an article post and can wait days for a response, if you get a response at all, while on the website not only are forum members having a vibrant discussion but those behind Bit-Tech are also participating. Ultimately, Facebook is a social tool that has become often used for media purposes, but they just is no social side to the Bit-Tech page, which is exacerbated by the fact that there is zero content on the page, it is all 'linked' and redirects to the website.

As for CPC, I wasn't talking about the advertising, it was more about content but then again, this may also be 'out of date'. I used to be a subscriber, I was for about 3 years. This was before Bit-Tech when CPC was a magazine and the website. Then came the transition from the CPC website to Bit-Tech. Then my health issues started and I lost my job, finances in general died and so things had to go, among them was my CPC subscription. Over the years since, my opinions haven't changed much. CPC and Bit-Tech are almost identical apart from their obvious format differences. Because Bit-Tech is a website there is the interaction through the forums and article threads as well as the news stories, but I have always felt that CPC offered far more in terms of articles, reviews and other content. For example, when is the last time anything to do with modding was actually featured on Bit-Tech? You highlight modding projects but do nothing to educate, guide or even review anything to do with actual modding. So my feelings are that Bit-Tech is more 'live' but CPC is far more 'deep'. Therefore if I want more content I have to pay for it through buying, one way or another, the CPC magazine and there is your 'push'. You may wish to differentiate yourselves, as such it has been the subject of several disagreements between myself and Bit-Tech staff in the past, but when the articles are the same even going so far as to use the same award and even award logo (albeit with a different name) I find that hard to swallow.

P.S. I still really HATE being bounced into the poxy forum every time I comment.

2. SchizoFrog

It may be whining and moaning but that is the only way things ever develop and improve. People can be as nice as they want about stuff and all that will happen is that things will stagnate and then dwindle and no one will say anything until it collapses. Making a valid complaint however, brings attention to things that could be improved or at least done differently to always push forward.

Nothing good ever happened because someone stood there and said 'Well isn't everything just lovely?'.

3. SchizoFrog

@jrs77
    I agree with a lot of what you said there but you also seem to be forgetting that it is not Bit-Tech that has put up this prize in the first place. Bit-Tech has never (as far as I am aware) obtained anything that can be considered a prize for their own use and purposes. Everything is in connection with another company and is therefore subject to more than just Bit-Tech's T's and C's. Maybe Bit-Tech could have argued that this comp should be available for their website members, maybe they did and the terms were denied and so while it is not an ideal situation for them, they also want to gain more readers for the 'community' as you put it and in this instance that is through Facebook. You choose the conditions that don't allow you to enter this comp, Bit-Tech didn't. I am an avid visitor to Tom's Hardware and all their comps are US bound so I can't enter there at all. Much in the way that overseas visitors and members can't enter this comp even if they are members of the Bit-Tech forum or not and don't mind using Facebook. These are the rules and regulations of the comp and if they exclude you, it is no basis to demand that the comp be invalid. Fairness does not preside...

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I have some cheese and crackers here. Luckily, someone else has already brought the whine.

5. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Your comments about Facebook are very valid. We are aware that it needs some/a lot of work to get to the level it could be, but our priority atm is on keeping good content flowing to the main site. I'll flag it up at the next meeting and look for ways we can improve. I know not everyone likes Facebook (I *very* much include myself in that) but I recognise that it has its uses. I also do think you have a point when it comes to bit-tech's modding content. Again, it's something on the cards to be improved, especially as we're now no longer connected to Custom PC.

But I still take issue with the idea that there's some kind of conscious push to get people to buy the magazine, or that that content as a whole is so lacking here. As I said, most of the editorial staff do write for both publications, but we also write for other publications too. If someone wants to read the words I write both on bit-tech and in Custom PC, then that's great, but there's no grand conspiracy to try to get everyone to. And from the management perspective, it makes no sense to consciously drive readers towards one or the other, since again they are now managed by completely different publishing houses.

As for the content, I'm still not entirely sure what you're getting at. On the one hand you seem to be saying that the two publications are identical, but then also appear to complain that if you want more/different content to what bit-tech offers that you have to buy it in Custom PC. Yes, there is a lot of crossover between the subjects covered - they're both hardware enthusiast publications after all. But the content is far from identical. I'm speaking from a hardware perspective rather than games or modding one as that's my field of coverage, but I know that in all cases a conscious effort is made by members of both parties to keep the content different and relevant to the appropriate format - we of course want both to be successful and stand on their own two feet. Bit-tech always has hardware reviews that Custom PC doesn't, and vice versa (and I would also argue that they're "deeper" on bit-tech due to far less space/word constraints). And if there is crossover, then wherever possible we try to make sure it is a different reviewer looking at said product.

6. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

On topic, what a fantastic prize!! Good luck to all that do enter :)

7. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Count me in. Good luck to all who have entered :)

8. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

Hum... never tried water cooling... but I'm sure I'd love to have it if I won... Liked :)

EDIT: Aw... "Unfortunately this is only open to UK residents." DOH!!!

9. Raiden

Raiden Portuguese reviewer

So when is the winner going to be announced????

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Um, Thursday 21st August... :lol:

Tags: Add Tags